The Lounge Off Topic PG-13.
Warning: The Lounge may contain irrelevant and off topic discussions that may not be related to anything HHR. If you are not interested in these kinds of discussions, do not read or respond to these threads.

Gnomey, the traveling Gnome

Search this Thread

Old 09-21-2006, 10:20 AM

Gnomey, the traveling Gnome

Man's lost gnome attends Steelers game

September 20, 2006
MORGANTOWN, W.Va. --Allen Snyder's garden gnome is apparently out of jail and now traveling the country. The 14-inch tall red-and-white statue disappeared from Snyder's Morgantown yard in the spring, and Snyder has since received three letters claiming to have been written by "Gnomey."
The latest letter, which Snyder received this week, included photos of the gnome in the company of Steelers fans attending Pittsburgh's football home opener.
"You never took me to any games," the note said. The letter ended: "Have to go now. Boarding a plane. Now, finally, broadening my travels."
An earlier letter included a request for bail money and included what appeared to be booking photos of Gnomey and another of the gnome in the back seat of a police car.
Snyder has no idea who's pulling this prank but said his short list of suspects includes several gag-loving friends.
The plight of his gnome has gotten a lot of attention. Snyder says people are always asking if he's heard from Gnomey.
"I never thought it would go this far," he said.
The story has even caught the attention of officials at Travelocity, which uses a roaming gnome in the online travel agency's advertising.
"While we know that your dear friend, Gnomey, can never be replaced, we're sending the enclosed Roaming Gnome to keep you company in his absence," wrote Michelle Peluso, president and chief executive officer of Travelocity, based in Southlake, Texas. "Hopefully your friend will find his way out of trouble and back to your front yard soon, although we can't help but admire his sense of adventure and love of travel."
Old 09-21-2006, 11:36 AM
Founding Member

There is also another similar ceramic firgurine that makes his rounds, "TONY" is a donkey and is known in the motorcycling world. It's an honor to have ones picture taken with Tony! I'll find his web site later today and post it. He's quite famous too!
Old 09-21-2006, 11:57 AM
Banned

Originally Posted by SindyDix
"TONY" is a donkey and is known in the motorcycling world.
Are you calling me an ass?
Old 09-21-2006, 11:59 AM

I sense an episode of "Jackass 3" coming up...
Old 09-21-2006, 12:03 PM

Dudes and Dudettes I think we need one of these...The little sucker could travel through the regions attending runs...I think he should make his initial appearance at the Mid-Central's Fall Run, keep your eyes peeled for him !!! I think I see him heading our way ...
Old 09-21-2006, 12:49 PM
Platinum Member

OOOoooo, scaleguy....great idea !!!!
Old 09-21-2006, 01:14 PM

Okay we in the Mid-Central will start this at our October 21st Fall Run and then if your region is having an event let us know and we will send it along, ya' just have to return it or send it to the next event...always take pics and try to be creative...uh...within tasteful limits !!! hahaha
Old 09-21-2006, 01:23 PM

Man, this brings me back. Two years ago my buddy and I were driving around and stumbled on a gnome. We liberated him and found out his name was Delf (coincidentally the same as our friends' German father). We traveled everywhere around Colorado and even Nebraska. Took pictures and sent a letter every Wednesday for about three months. There was such a following that we started a website and opened a CafePress.com store. Then one day my buddy calls me up from the fire station he was posted at, telling me that several police officers were demanding his return. Not wanting to turn this into a hostage situation I immediately went down there with Delf. Apparently there had been a month long investigation into Delf's disappearance after his owner called the police. We let him go under the terms that all Delf-related content be taken off the web and Delf returned in exchange for us not going to jail. The owner turned out to be a widow, scared of what my buddy and I might do or if anyone looking at the website might find out where she lived. It ended with a 'stern warning' from the police that we would be the first contacted and could be linked to any future gnome disappearances.
Old 09-21-2006, 01:24 PM
Platinum Member

Scaleguy....

Listen, if you don't mind, I'll run out tonight and try to find one. The South Mountain Chapter is having a small run this weekend....maybe we can display it.

But, I think we need an HHR shirt and hat for it....something to symbolize us...the HHR groupies.

Jonyb....a little survey to name the guy, would be nice>>>>>
Old 09-21-2006, 01:39 PM

as far as a Name couldn't his initials be HHR? Like Harry Holdensworth Rollins? Or something... sorry for the dumb name. Work at a Hospital and see ALL kinds of stuff come through here!

Quick Reply: Gnomey, the traveling Gnome