The Lounge Off Topic PG-13.
Warning: The Lounge may contain irrelevant and off topic discussions that may not be related to anything HHR. If you are not interested in these kinds of discussions, do not read or respond to these threads.

It happened again

Search this Thread

Old 11-20-2014, 08:29 AM

It happened again

Buffalo NY is famous for chicken wings, and this crap....

Thats the SS under all that snow...

This is my garage and pool. I was in the garage about half way thru the storm...
Old 11-20-2014, 08:43 AM
Platinum Member

The garage I can see. Now, the SS and a pool, I'll just have to take your word on those being there.

Really. I don't see how or why you folks want to live up there.
Old 11-20-2014, 09:10 AM
Premium Member

ya especially with those Sabres lol

i heard you guys are supposed to get another 60-90cms tonight...geez! goodluck!
Old 11-20-2014, 10:07 AM
Platinum Member

To translate that Canadian-Speak of 60-90cms, it just means a heck of a lot of snow!!!. Keep warm.
Old 11-20-2014, 10:42 AM
Administrator

31 1/2 to 35 1/2 inches yeah a heck of a lot more snow then they already have!! But still not up to the records of the Blizzard of 1977!!
Old 11-20-2014, 11:17 AM

I've lived here all my life (26 years). This is one of if not the worst storms. Honestly the problem with the storm is how quickly it dumped the storm. We have the equipment to deal with get 5' in a week. But not over night. It really is a disaster. It's not like a hurricane or tornado. But there are people trapped in places (cars, houses) for a couple of days now.

My grandparents had an issue with there furnace vent on the side of their house. It was completely buried under snow. So carbon monoxide was building up in their house. I had to go dig it out. Turned out to be 2 hours of walking and I stayed overnight
Old 11-20-2014, 12:04 PM

I vacated upstate NY (Rochester area) after I retired (2002). The over abundance of snow happens every couple of years, but digging out, even with a snow thrower, became harder and harder as I got older and older. When snow of this magnitude hits, there is no place to throw the snow dug off the driveways or side walks.

Good luck digging.
Old 11-20-2014, 03:50 PM

Looks like you may need to think about building a taller garage
Old 11-20-2014, 04:06 PM

When I lived in northwest Wisconsin it was pretty normal for us to get around 60” of snow over the course of the winter.

Only rarely did we get more than a foot or so at a time. Maybe in several days from one storm but it was dealt with pretty much as it fell. There were times that country roads were blocked for a few days at a time but that really was considered to be pretty normal.

Like Old Lar said. the real problem with so much snow at one time is what to do with the crap.

When I was going to vocational school and living in Ricelake Wisconsin back in the 70's the city would use end loaders to put the snow in dump trucks then dump them out on the lake. I'm pretty sure the EPA put a stop to that and now the snow is piled on the lake shore instead.

In spring the big lump of snow piled up on the lake was like a huge iceburg and took way to long to melt causing the lake to stay colder longer which they figured was harming the lake somehow. By putting it on the shore it melted and ended up in the lake anyway but it warmed some before going in.

Meanwhile back in Bruce Wisconsin, where grew up and the family home was, the city just pushed the snow off to the side of the road mostly. A few years they did have to use an end loader and dump trucks to haul some away but on some of the side streets they mostly just let it pile up.

They got to where they didn't even try to plow the alleys. When I got my '47 Willis with the plow I made sure my alley was clear after any accumulation. The city tried to give me a ticket for plowing it because it was not an authorized city snow removal vehicle.

I fought the ticket in court and won.

Last edited by Grizzly old man; 11-20-2014 at 10:43 PM.
Old 11-20-2014, 04:40 PM

Badassbowtie I feel for you. That would suck for anybody to have to go through all that, especially when they said it could melt. I live in Canada and we get our fair share of snow, but not like that.

Quick Reply: It happened again