The Lounge Off Topic PG-13.
Warning: The Lounge may contain irrelevant and off topic discussions that may not be related to anything HHR. If you are not interested in these kinds of discussions, do not read or respond to these threads.

It's gone(not really)

Search this Thread

Old 09-05-2010, 10:39 AM

It's gone(not really)

after 2 1/2 years of thinking about it, looking at, and even trying to swing trade-in deals, I finally got rid of my 2006 HHR 2LT.
But not really. I gave it to my better half!

when I bought the HHR on 12/31/08, I loved it.
Spent countless hours converting the seats to ebony and replacing the carpet.
Drove it for several months and became very tired of the seating position. I was commuting 130 miles/day and after sitting at a desk all day, and then sitting in the HHR in the same position(upright, legs up, knees bent down) I grew very sick of being uncomfortable.

I began a search to trade it in a Crown Vic or Grand Marquis. I had replaced my old Grand Marquis(96) with a Lincoln Mark VIII and loved the comfort and performance. But after putting 155k+ miles in the Mark VIII, it was getting old. Plus gas prices were astronomical at that time. I looked at getting a Crown Vic, but prices were steep and gas was crazy!

enter the HHR. great gas mileage, fun, roomy car, cool design, fantastic engine choice(2.4) and loved the reliability factor.

...but then came the post-purchase blues about being comfortable. I know I am the only one too because others say they love how comfy they are.

Anyway, dealers laughed at my negative equity(values dropped like a stocn about 8 months after I bought the HHR), so replacing it with a CV or GM wasn't going to work.

Then a few months ago my GF says "you can sell my truck and buy a Crown Vic and I'll drive your HHR".

what? are you kidding me? really?

DONE!

sold her truck(2001 S10 extra cab ZQ8 4.3 a/t) and bought a fantastic car last weekend.

2000 Crown Victoria P71 (police car) with the pursuit package.
78k miles
professionally converted 3 years ago by removal of "cop gear", new seats, new carpet, fresh paint, new factory CD player, tint,. The seller is a retired police man turned mechanic, and these cars are his hobby.

His mom drove it for 3 years!

here's a couple pics:

so my HHR remains in the family, I can drive it whenever I want, but technically it's now HERS. She loves it!
So thanks to her, I have the car I REALLY wanted and she gets to drive my HHR which makes her happy. saves her tons on fuel economy, has all the bells and whistles, and that's what happened.
Old 09-05-2010, 10:42 AM

Congratulations on your new purchase, and being able to still drive it when you want!
Old 09-05-2010, 10:43 AM
Founding Member

Now you'll be cruisin' in comfort! Nice to keep the HHR in the family too.
Old 09-05-2010, 12:33 PM
Platinum Member

That sounds like a good deal for everyone. Congratulations!!

I bet, on that 130 mile dailey drive, SOME other drivers will pull over or slow down to let you pass.

Enjoy.....
Old 09-05-2010, 12:38 PM

I would've gotten a Marauder! lol
Old 09-05-2010, 02:30 PM

Sweet looking ride! Not only is that really low miles for a 2000, its even lower for a former cop car. I've looked for retired cop cars and their milage is usually through the roof! Nice find
Old 09-05-2010, 08:01 PM

Originally Posted by Snoopy
That sounds like a good deal for everyone. Congratulations!!

I bet, on that 130 mile dailey drive, SOME other drivers will pull over or slow down to let you pass.

Enjoy.....
I would put the cowpusher bar back on the front. LOL
Old 09-06-2010, 12:32 AM

Looking at the cooresponding tire marks in the street I'd say you tried out the persuit button........
Old 09-08-2010, 08:29 PM

Originally Posted by IgottaWoody
Looking at the cooresponding tire marks in the street I'd say you tried out the persuit button........

yes, 3.55's with trac-loc... ahhem

no push bar...don't want the true COP CAR look, but DO want the COP CAR package.

and the "I would have gotten a Marauder" comment.

Not for this price you wouldnt have.
believe me, I forgot more about the DOHC 4.6 than most will know, and if'n I could have scooped up a Marauder for less than $3400, I would have.

But this car is just a serious cruiser with enough oomph to satisfy me(make tire noise).

it sure blows the doors off the HHR 2.4 that's for sure, but that isn't apples to apples.

LOVE the living room on wheels.

Thanks for the thumbs up guys.

bought brand new in box front head lights with bulbs and corner lights off fleabay for $100...it's gonna clean the front fascia up real nice.

Oh, so I put the Bullitt (torque thrusts) on and didn't like the off-set....they sat way too far IN(under), so I yanked them off, re-painted the stock black steelies, and put the proper center caps on, and even though I didn't want the COP CAR look, I have to say, it looks even better.

eventually, BLING. nothing crazy...just some nicer wheels.
Old 09-08-2010, 08:56 PM

Originally Posted by Snoopy
Absolutely.

Back when my 2001 Malibu was in the shop getting a new motor installed (piston slap damage) I was given a maroon Impala as a loaner.

Wife and I were driving in the west end of the city and everyone was slowing down and/or letting us go past them.

A little later the light came on....the Impala was the same colour as the unmarked cruiser that regularly patrolled that area