The Lounge Off Topic PG-13.
Warning: The Lounge may contain irrelevant and off topic discussions that may not be related to anything HHR. If you are not interested in these kinds of discussions, do not read or respond to these threads.

Let it snow...

Search this Thread

Old 01-06-2014, 05:38 PM

Let it snow...

It seems as if mother nature is giving us WNYers a storm of the millennium from whats being predicted...It may be completely obvious, but stay safe neighbors...With 30"-36" of lake effect snow predicted for my neck of the woods, big wind gusts, and -40* wind chills, this storm already has schools and businesses closed for tomorrow and its just begun...I myself am up in the air about trying to make it to work in the morning...Buffalo has its first Blizzard warning since 1993...we have had some pretty wicked storms since then, that weren't considered blizzards, so I am a little nervous...My 25 minute ride home from work was about an hour and 40 minutes, with 40MPH+ wind gusts creating white out conditions.

"life threatening cold" is what its being called by abc news

and our forecast for the next 24-48 hours from the national weather service

... BLIZZARD WARNING IN EFFECT UNTIL 6 AM EST WEDNESDAY... ... WIND CHILL WARNING REMAINS IN EFFECT UNTIL 6 PM EST TUESDAY...

THE NATIONAL WEATHER SERVICE IN BUFFALO HAS ISSUED A BLIZZARD WARNING... WHICH IS IN EFFECT UNTIL 6 AM EST WEDNESDAY.

* LOCATIONS... NORTHERN ERIE AND GENESEE COUNTIES... ESPECIALLY SOUTH OF BUFFALO AND BATAVIA.

* TIMING... THROUGH LATE TUESDAY NIGHT.

* HAZARDS... BLIZZARD CONDITIONS FROM LAKE EFFECT SNOW AND BLOWING SNOW.

* SNOW ACCUMULATIONS... 6 TO 12 INCHES TONIGHT... 9 TO 17 INCHES TUESDAY... AND 1 TO 3 INCHES TUESDAY NIGHT... LEADING TO STORM TOTALS OF MORE THAN 3 FEET IN THE MOST PERSISTENT LAKE SNOWS.

* WINDS... SOUTHWEST 20 TO 30 MPH... GUSTS TO 45 MPH.

* VISIBILITIES... NEAR ZERO IN WHITEOUT CONDITIONS AT TIMES.

* WIND CHILL VALUES... AS LOW AS 30 BELOW.

* IMPACTS... TRAVEL CONDITIONS WILL BECOME EXTREMELY DIFFICULT TO NEAR IMPOSSIBLE OVERNIGHT WITH SNOW COVERED ROADS AND FREQUENT WHITEOUT CONDITIONS DUE TO HEAVY LAKE EFFECT SNOW ALONG WITH CONSIDERABLE BLOWING AND DRIFTING SNOW. ROADWAYS MAY BECOME IMPASSABLE FOR A PERIOD OF TIME. NUMEROUS ROADWAYS ARE OR WILL BE CLOSED THROUGH TUESDAY. DANGEROUSLY COLD WIND CHILLS WILL POSE A RISK FOR FROST BITE AND HYPOTHERMIA FOR ANYONE OUTSIDE FOR EVEN VERY SHORT PERIODS OF TIME. THIS IS A LIFE-THREATENING COLD FOR THOSE NOT IN SHELTER.
Old 01-06-2014, 05:46 PM

oh and my ride home...at about 10MPH

Old 01-06-2014, 06:03 PM

Hang in there and be carful. We have -10 temps here in Ohio but it looks like we missed the snow.
Old 01-06-2014, 06:07 PM

Yeah, there's some pretty nasty weather all over the place. Here in Wisconsin, we haven't gotten any snow, but tonight its going to be up to -55 degrees below zero with the wind chill. Yikes! I have a feeling there's going to be a lot of people with car troubles...
Old 01-06-2014, 07:09 PM

My 08 did not like starting in the -9 deg temp. It made kinds of weird noises and my theft light stayed on.
After it warmed up a bit it seemed to be ok we will see what happens when I start it to got to work tonight.
Every one be carful out there. take warm gloves,hat and coat with you incase you get stranded.
Old 01-06-2014, 07:20 PM
Platinum Member

Curious.....but that will be asked last......

I wish you all, in the "eye of the tempest" the best. Being from Michigan originally, I can understand some of the anxiety and was the BIGGEST reason I moved to Arizona.

Now a question.......can I assUme that reasonable precautions will prevail. You know, like if you have a fireplace, assure you have a load of firewood (in case power lines go down)....you have stocked food and have alternate cooking methods. How about water.....pipes can freeze easily in those temperatures. Keep the kids in the house and provide some type of amusement?????????
Old 01-06-2014, 07:34 PM

plenty prepared here...with the exception of a long power outage...But in an extreme emergency, I have plenty of pallet wood to start a fire if needed
Old 01-07-2014, 09:38 AM
Administrator

I'm just about 30 minutes north west of Buffalo in the Niagara region of Ontario, Canada.
I don't have a fire place, but I now have a generator on standby to keep the furnace running should the power fail, it will also run a few lights or the sump pump, or the fridge, if required. but it is supposed to warm up to 36 degrees F on Saturday
Old 01-07-2014, 09:51 AM

We didn't get a lot of snow over night...maybe 6 inches....the snow drifts are 2 feet or more...it is also -6 degrees F...the amount of snow isn't a problem yet....the visibility is the problem, I can barely see across the street...most businesses are closed including mine, so I got a snow day....they are saying 9-17 more inches of snow today, with the wind and single digit temps...and yes old blue, they are talking about rain on Saturday here.

People are getting ticketed for driving....its a pretty serious storm right now
Old 01-07-2014, 10:51 AM

We got a total of 13.6 inches with 40 mph winds. My county has been on a level three since yesterday which means no ones allowed on the roads accept emergency personal. I believe its a -20 wind chill. Im 22 and have never experienced a winter like this before.

Quick Reply: Let it snow...