The Lounge Off Topic PG-13.
Warning: The Lounge may contain irrelevant and off topic discussions that may not be related to anything HHR. If you are not interested in these kinds of discussions, do not read or respond to these threads.

Model trains

Search this Thread

Old 08-03-2018, 07:50 AM

Model trains

Just curious if there are members here into model trains? I myself don't have them but really like with some people can do.
Old 08-03-2018, 09:28 AM

I love model trains and like you, I do not have them. My wife and I were on vacation in San Diego and stumbled upon a model train museum.

https://www.balboapark.org/museums/model-railroad

We spent a couple of hours there. I came alive and felt like a kid again
Old 08-03-2018, 09:50 AM

There is the maga lay out from Germany.
This just small clip tease.
Old 08-03-2018, 09:54 AM

Originally Posted by CA Blue HHR
I love model trains and like you, I do not have them. My wife and I were on vacation in San Diego and stumbled upon a model train museum

We spent a couple of hours there. I came alive and felt like a kid again
Never been there, but people have told me of layout under the grand staircase at Grand Central Station NYC. I live 50 miles from that city and never went there to explore.
P.S. like your post.
Old 08-03-2018, 10:35 AM

I was into them as a kid and had a relatively "well done" HO layout with the landscaping and all that. That fell by the wayside when I got into HO scale cars instead and did the same detail thing with that layout.

Earlier this year after going through my Father's stuff while settling his estate I ended up with a box of much of the HO train stuff I had as a kid..(Engines, cars, track and transformer... No buildings) Other than memories I doubt I'll do anything with them though.
Old 08-03-2018, 10:48 AM

Originally Posted by Cat Man HHR
There is the maga lay out from Germany.
This just small clip tease.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ACkmg3Y64_s

That is awesome, thanks for sharing! I am adding seeing that to my bucketlist.
Old 08-03-2018, 01:43 PM

i enjoy looking at them as well. one of my old Monte clubmates was really into them. he had a HUGE layout in the downstairs of his house.

there used to be a layout done every year at citicorp center in NYC at Christmas time. but i have not gone in quite a few years. but it used to fill the center of the atrium.

there is a layout again during Christmas at the Brooklyn botanical garden. i hear its great but ive never been, yet.

the LIRR has a layout in Greenport, if i remember right, at one of their 'museums' they also have the miniature rail (kid ride on) from the 1962 worlds fair along with alot of other train memorabilia as well as full size trains. this is year round.
Old 08-04-2018, 02:33 AM

Originally Posted by 87z16

there is a layout again during Christmas at the Brooklyn botanical garden. i hear its great but ive never been, yet.
There's one every year at Christmas at the Bronx botanical gardens also (near the Bronx Zoo). Went to it, all the buildings are made out of parts of plants. Nice to walk through.
Old 08-04-2018, 11:50 AM
Premium Member

I built a 4'x8' layout with HO trains two level when I was a kid, maybe 13 or 14 years old. I added my HO "turbo-jet" slot car layout to it and had a grand time racing the train at the RR crossing. Sold all the train stuff about 10 years ago to a collector but still have about 85 HO slot cars that I race from time to time at home built tracks around town. Some of them are worth about $300.00 being rare and original in the original boxes. Still have all the HO slot car track pieces too, in big boxes in the attic.
Old 08-04-2018, 01:40 PM

JW pictures ?

Quick Reply: Model trains