The Lounge Off Topic PG-13.
Warning: The Lounge may contain irrelevant and off topic discussions that may not be related to anything HHR. If you are not interested in these kinds of discussions, do not read or respond to these threads.

Nasty look on Toyota Prius

Search this Thread

Old 07-16-2008, 08:13 PM

Nasty look on Toyota Prius

Is the prius so holy? Take a look...

Prius Outdoes Hummer in Environmental Damaoe?
By Chris Demorro
Staff Writer

The Toyota Prius has become the flagship car for those in our society so environmentally
conscious that they are willing to spend a premium to show the world how much they care.
Unfortunately for them, their ultimate 'green car' is the source of some of the worst pollution
in North America; it takes more combined energy per Prius to produce than a Hummer.
Before we delve into the seedy underworld of hybrids, you must first understand how a hybrid
works. For this, we will use the most popular hybrid on the market, the Toyota prius.
The Prius is powered by not one, but two engines: a standard 76 horsepower, 1.5-liter gas
engine found in most cars today and a battery- powered engine that deals out 67 horsepower
and a whooping 295ftllbs of torque, below 2000 revolutions per minute. Essentially, the
Toyota Synergy Drive system, as it is so called, propels the car from a dead stop to up to
30mph, This is where the largest percent of gas is consumed. As any physics major can tell
you, it takes more energy to get an object moving than to keep it moving, The battery is
recharged through the braking system, as well as when the gasoline engine takes over
anywhere north of 30mph. It seems like a great energy efficient and environmentally sound
car, right?
You would be right if you went by the old government EPA estimates, which netted the Prius
an incredible 60 miles per gallon in the city and 51 miles per gallon on the highway.
Unfortunately for Toyota, the government realized how unrealistic their EPA tests were, which
consisted of highway speeds limited to 55mph and acceleration of only 3.3 mph per second.
The new tests which affect all 2008 models give a much more realistic rating with highway
speeds of 80mph and acceleration of 8 mph per second. This has dropped the Prius's EPA down
by 25 percent to an average of 45mpg, This now puts the Toyota within spitting distance of
cars like the Chevy Aveo, which costs less then half what the Prius costs.
However, if that was the only issue with the Prius, I wouldn't be writing this article. It gets
much worse.
Building a Toyota Prius causes more environmental damage than a Hummer that is on the
road for three times longer than a Prius. As already noted, the prius is partly driven by a
battery which contains nickel. The nickel is mined and smelted at a plant in Sudbury, ontario.
This plant has caused so much environmental damage to the surrounding environment that
NASA has used the land around the plant to test moon rovers, The area around the plant is dead of all plant life.
The plant is the source of all the nickel found in a Prius' battery and Toyota purchases 1,000
tons annually. Dubbed the Superstack, the plague-factory has spread sulfur dioxide across
northern Ontario, becoming every environmentalist's nightmare.

All of this would be bad enough in and of itself; however, the journey to make a hybrid doesn't
end there, The nickel produced by this disastrous plant is shipped via massive container ships to european smelters.
Then to China for nickel foaming plants. And lastly batteries in Japan.
United States, finalizing the around-the-world trip required to produce a single prius battery.
Are these not sounding less and less like environmentally sound cars and more like a farce.
Wait, I haven't even got to the best part yet.
When you pool together all the combined energy it takes to drive and build a Toyota prius, the
flagship car of energy fanatics, it takes almost 50 percent more energy than a Hummer - the
Prius's arch nemesis.
Through a study by CNW Marketing called "Dust to Dust," the total combined energy is taken
from all the electrical,fuel, transportation, materials (metal, plastic, etc) and hundreds of
other factors over the expected lifetime of a vehicle, The prius costs an average of $3.25 per
mile driven over a lifetime of 100,000 miles - the expected lifespan of the Hybrid.
The Hummer, on the other hand, costs a more fiscal $1.95 per mile to put on the road over an
expected lifetime of 300,000 miles. That means the Hummer will last three times longer than
a Prius and use less combined energy doing it.
so, if you are really an environmentalist - ditch the prius. Instead, buy one of the most cheapest a Chevy Aveo and fix that wallet.

The next time someone gets 'holier than thou' about their prius ownership...remember this
Old 07-16-2008, 08:31 PM

You seemed to have found a different version than the author has..the correct non slanted ending as it was originally published ends with this:

"So, if you are really an environmentalist - ditch the Prius. Instead, buy one of the most economical cars available - a Toyota Scion xB. The Scion only costs a paltry $0.48 per mile to put on the road. If you are still obsessed over gas mileage - buy a Chevy Aveo and fix that lead foot."

Little bit of a difference no?

And where does Tucson fit in? This article is from the Central Connecticut State University school newspaper...not exactly Motor Trend or Automobile Magazine.(not that they are really an authority either)

Nothing for nothing but something isn't adding up is it.

I will agree on something though...I'm not a great fan of the Prius...I'd probably opt for the Yaris if I wanted a super econo box miser vehicle...I just rented one in Orlando and it impressed the heck out of me...I flogged that thing the last day I was there running it from Orlando to Cocoa Beach and back avg 80-85 mph with a/c on and windows down, you name it....40 mpg.

Impressive

Goose
Old 07-16-2008, 08:46 PM

It came in a pdf file from a friend. Must have been modded before I got it...
Thanks for the added touch.
Old 07-16-2008, 08:57 PM

What I'm wondering is why the author is picking on the Prius vs all the other hybrids? I guess because it is the biggest seller I imagine but I would think all that stuff about the toxicity of it etc would apply to all hybrids including what GM and Ford produce??

I will say that the Tahoe Hybrid does intrigue the hell out of me...if gas wasn't a factor I'd probably have one (non hybrid) in my driveway instead of the HHR but alas not the case

Goose
Old 07-16-2008, 08:59 PM
Founding Member

Hey goose,do you mean this article?

http://clubs.ccsu.edu/recorder/edito...asp?NewsID=188

So you were buzzin' the beeline in a Yaris, tsk tsk....jk

An '09 Aveo came in today. The new frontend really looks good from what it was. This has really turned into a pretty decent car as far as repairs go and now they look much better. Here's a link to a picture.

http://www.chevrolet.com/aveo/5/
Old 07-16-2008, 09:16 PM

Yep!! 528 all the way!...well 520 back which was a lot of stop and go and still got 40 mpg

Will say that the Aveo does look sharp though!

Goose
Old 07-16-2008, 10:01 PM

I didn't read the whole article but wanted to comment on the part about the Aveo.

It's mileage is within spitting distance of 45 mpg, BAH! Can we all say BS on that one.

We have an Aveo, we didn't pick it out and we didn't pay for it, so we can't complain, but we're not big fans of it.

First, i haver to say out town is horrible for mileage. It is short distances to everything, pretty much no highway, a giant hill, and lots of stop and go. So that doesn't equal good mileage. I used to get on average with my Jimmy 18-20, then we moved here and i got 11-12, if that says much.

Back to the aveo. In our experience in the last 3 years, their estimated mileages are a joke. On the highway, in super ideal conditions, no wind, perfect weather, we can get 28-31 mpg, but everyday driving in the city we get 20-22. There rating of 34 hwy is downright ridiculous. So even though the Prius is rated at 45, and the aveo at 34, that's still pretty far off. that's 1/3 more mileage, a lot on my book.

I baby the pedal on that thing, the dealer says everything is fine with it, and our mileage for everyday stuff sucks. We could get a different car, that was a lot bigger, and get the same mileage.

Now the impala to me is an amazing car. For how big it is, we drove an 03 for awhile (father in laws) and we got 34 on the hwy with that. Plus we could fit a fouton in the back. that impresses me,

sorry for the rant. when people start touting the aveo it hits a nerve.
Old 07-17-2008, 05:27 AM

FYI: http://www.satellite-sightseer.com/i...__smoke_stack_

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Inco_Superstack

And they bistich at us for acid rain.
Old 07-17-2008, 05:59 AM

From what I've heard, there is NO good reason to buy an Aveo. I've been eying up a Honda Fit for my wife, but they are in such high demand, you can't get a penny off on a new one, and used are so much, you may as wll buy new.Even though the Fit is almost double the price of the Aveo, it's worth it.
Old 07-17-2008, 07:32 AM

i wouldn't buy a car that small for double the price of an aveo, but i also wouldn't buy an aveo. Our has most of the upgrades you can get, but even with the upgrades it's a super economy car. We also have the first model that came out, so that sucks. Cruise control wasn't even an option on it...

Quick Reply: Nasty look on Toyota Prius