The Lounge Off Topic PG-13.
Warning: The Lounge may contain irrelevant and off topic discussions that may not be related to anything HHR. If you are not interested in these kinds of discussions, do not read or respond to these threads.

New lifetime Chrysler powertrain warranties

Search this Thread

Old 07-26-2007, 04:30 PM

New lifetime Chrysler powertrain warranties

Chrysler announces a new lifetime powertrain warranty. Do you think this will possibly help their sales in the USA?
http://www.autoweek.com/apps/pbcs.dl.../70726008/1528
Old 07-26-2007, 04:36 PM

Even money this works like the 10yr/100k warranties that Kia and Hyundai offer: you have to keep immaculate records, jump through flaming hoops, dance a jig, do a shot, and they can still deny warranty work if they don't like the way you talk to them.
Old 07-26-2007, 04:39 PM

On msnbc.com the article stated that the vehicle has to be inspected only once every 5 years at a dealership, after the 3/36 was up. The warranty was only for the original buyer(s). non-transferrable!!!
Old 07-26-2007, 04:42 PM

Originally Posted by Pizzaman
On msnbc.com the article stated that the vehicle has to be inspected only once every 5 years at a dealership, after the 3/36 was up. The warranty was only for the original buyer(s). non-transferrable!!!
I'm seeing a replay of the fiasco involving the 2.7L Intrepid/LHS motors, where Chrysler claimed they were not at fault for a design flaw which created oil sludging and cracking blocks at around 60K miles. I have lost count of how many customers I've had who complained that their dealer called it a "driver issue," and denied their warranty claim, leaving them the tab for a $5000 engine swap. I do not trust this. At all.
Old 07-26-2007, 04:44 PM

Originally Posted by Pizzaman
Since selling Chevrolet vehicles for over three years, the majority of my customer do not keep their cars for more then five years. Most of them trade after three years. For buyers that keep their cars for a long time (like myself), the Chevy's 5 years or 100,000 mile powertrain warranty makes more sense, and it's transferable without all of that inspection bull.
Old 07-26-2007, 04:46 PM

I do not doubt there will be problems, we had a great car absolutely no problems with it, and it had the 2.7. We couldn't get a single dealer around here (even the Chrysler dealer) to trade with us. The car was super low mileage and pampered. No one trusted the 2.7
Old 07-26-2007, 05:07 PM

Its all marketing b^ll*****. They're playing the odds on stuff like what Chingchonger said about original owner length of ownership, and the odds are in their favor.
Old 07-26-2007, 05:21 PM

Is it transferable when the car is sold or traded in? I didn't see anything about that in the article. That could make those cars more desirable. I've never owned a Chrysler and don't really have a reason why. Don't know if this would lure me to buy one.
Old 07-26-2007, 05:21 PM

True it's all marketing, and they're depending on people trading cars after a couple of years, but for a person like me who buys a new car and drives it for 6 or 7 years and racking up close to 200,000 miles, this would seem to be a good deal. From what I have read, it only requires an inspection once every five years after the 3 year/36,000 mile bumper to bumper. I think if they start claiming they won't fix problems because of the driver, they will get a nasty reputation really quickly. That would be suicide IMO.
Old 07-26-2007, 05:45 PM

I have owned 3 Chrysler products (a Dodge Neon, a Dodge Stratus, and a Chrysler Crossfire) and my parents have owned 3 (a Dodge Intrepid, a Chrysler Town & Country, and a Dodge Grand Caravan) and all have been really good cars. Will the numbers play in their favor as far as the warranties go? Probably, but whose fault is that?!? Ours. Nobody holds a gun to our heads telling us to buy a new car every 2-4 years but we still do it. Give it a chance. If it doesn't work out, then you can say "SEE!!!!"

Quick Reply: New lifetime Chrysler powertrain warranties