The Lounge Off Topic PG-13.
Warning: The Lounge may contain irrelevant and off topic discussions that may not be related to anything HHR. If you are not interested in these kinds of discussions, do not read or respond to these threads.

New Owner!! well waiting for delivery! LONG WAIT lol Question at very bottom

Search this Thread

Old 07-29-2008, 05:30 PM

New Owner!! well waiting for delivery! LONG WAIT lol Question at very bottom

Well howdy all, Names Dean. I signed all the paperwork here in Omaha, NE waiting for my black 08 Panel LS to get delivered from somewhere in Minnesota. Hopefully it will get here this week, thats what they say. Then a day for accesories and I should have it by friday or monday.

This is the first car that I have owned that was newer than 20 years old on the date of purchase lol. Reason being? I just got done in a year semi restoration of my Rx-7. New Engine, fuel system/intake/ aluminum fly, clutch, pp/ transmission/ exhaust/ leather interior. And well I don't want to put to many miles on her as my daily driver. Also I get about 9 miles per gallon in it... if I don't race it lol. Winters coming up and Omaha is crazy about the salts/chemicals it puts on its roads.

So I wanted a "reliable, gas friendly" vehicle and I was planning on spending about 3k on the vehicle, Im good with a wrench and it probobly wouldn't of been a problem.... BUT THEN I SAW IT a Panel HHR with some company logo where the WINDOWS were supposed to be lol. Anywho about a month later,.. last friday I decided to buy one... Was thinking about waiting for a SS panel, but I already have my fast car and having an SS would of meant more tickets and I would of beat the crud out of it. Plus gone for about 360-400 hp. This car should last longer than my bikes and other cars lol, first one that I didn't buy for speed.

For now I am getting the windows tinted, car rustproofed and the teflon put on. Plan on getting the runningboards... Painting front grill and rear chrome pieces the body color black, maybe I'll get black chrome It really depends on the rims I get, matching is important lol. Im taking the "wheel covers" (HUBCAPS!!! lol) off the car right away and after winter will invest in some 18" wide blade black rims.

QUESTION
At work today I saw 3 new chevy trucks... one black 2 white... one black and one white trucks paint looked like a 300 dollar job... Consistant fisheyes all throughout... the other white one looked very nice and smooth... How are all of your HHR's paint? Also would the "teflon" or whatever protective crud I paid extra for make the paint look smooth?
Old 07-29-2008, 05:37 PM
jx3

Name:  welcome-1-1.gif
Views: 39
Size:  38.2 KB
Originally Posted by Dean7
QUESTION
At work today I saw 3 new chevy trucks... one black 2 white... one black and one white trucks paint looked like a 300 dollar job... Consistant fisheyes all throughout... the other white one looked very nice and smooth... How are all of your HHR's paint? Also would the "teflon" or whatever protective crud I paid extra for make the paint look smooth?
I think the paint on the HHRs could use a bit of improvement. Easily chipped.
Old 07-29-2008, 05:47 PM

Yeah due to the harsh winters I paid extra for rustproofing (gonna have for a long time) and for that protective film they spray on... hopefully that helps the paint. I saw a couple used ones at the dealer and they were pretty bad.
Old 07-29-2008, 06:01 PM

Originally Posted by Dean7
Yeah due to the harsh winters I paid extra for rustproofing (gonna have for a long time) and for that protective film they spray on... hopefully that helps the paint. I saw a couple used ones at the dealer and they were pretty bad.
Rustproofing will void the factory warranty. Some say crude can get under the coating and cause more problems. Think that happened on a 85 pickup I had which was rustproofed and later the frame began to go. I just wash under them as often as I can after that on my other vehicles I now have. We get over 100" of snow and that requires a lot of salt on the roads. snow belt of Ohio
Old 07-29-2008, 06:07 PM

I was told by the dealer that for me to have the factory warranty for my area that I need to have the rustproofing done.. I looked at one of GM's rules and regulations that rustproofing is not needed or reccomened but there was an * and it said special conditions apply.. I figured that the special condition was my area and it had to be done... If I have been straight up lied to .. not just duped.. im gonna go haywire on the dealership. They did offer a 10 year rust free warranty "free" with it that added to the factory warranty.
Old 07-29-2008, 06:09 PM

I also paid for the extended warranty... They don't start that right away do they, or do I have to request to the dealer that I want it to start after the 3 year bumper to bumper....
Old 07-29-2008, 06:58 PM

Maybe if the Dealer does it, and he has a written warranty. I would get it in writing as to the terms. I think most members will agree with me by saying it's not needed. (especially the SoCal group )
Old 07-29-2008, 07:12 PM

LOL... well I got the paint protectant and the rustproofing for 600 bucks plus free tinting (wow I have 2 windows to tint lol) And thanks .. I just went through my paperwork and no written warrenty.. Hopefully they have other paperwork for me when I pick it up... Otherwise the car will sit ... Also along with them adding the soundampening/anti rust plates and the coat of undercoat, they are going in every hollowed pieced of metal that has holes in it and shooting some foamy crud in that. lol they want to make there moneys.

Also after being under hundreds and hundreds of cars around here... I am very pleased with the ones with propper undercoating... Rust in the eyes is the worst thing when wrenching lol.
Old 07-29-2008, 07:15 PM

Welcome Dean7 Congrats on the HHR. I have enjoyed mine so far but it is still new(2 months). We arleady been to a gathering of HHR's Great bunch of folks. We are going to have a cruse in the KC area in September if your up to it come on down
Old 07-29-2008, 10:03 PM

i've never heard of rust proofing a car to keep your warranty sounds like a line to me. Used to live in Michigan, and we got a lot of snow, along with the fact they pretty much love to douse the roads in salt and sand, and never heard that before.

Quick Reply: New Owner!! well waiting for delivery! LONG WAIT lol Question at very bottom