The Lounge Off Topic PG-13.
Warning: The Lounge may contain irrelevant and off topic discussions that may not be related to anything HHR. If you are not interested in these kinds of discussions, do not read or respond to these threads.

No more GM Performance/SS Division

Search this Thread

Old 02-18-2009, 05:26 PM

Originally Posted by chadpuska
So there will be a 2010 HHR SS?
yes and 2011.
Old 02-18-2009, 05:29 PM

Originally Posted by chadpuska
So there will be a 2010 HHR SS?
As of now I would say have to say yes but don't expect many changes. But as with the economy and the slumping market this is subject to change.

GM has a lot of changes and cutting to do so we will see some things we though not possible a year ago
Old 02-18-2009, 05:38 PM

Man that VR4 is SEX!!!
Old 02-18-2009, 05:57 PM

Originally Posted by VA HHR SS
Oh well I guess my next car will have to be something from AMG or an M-BMW. This is just another example of how the American car companies have their heads up their butts. Look over at Chrysler; you can't by anything with STR-8 badge for anything less than sticker, heck the Challenger STR-8 how about $10,000 over MRP. Chevy is not dealing on their Z06's - why because there is a demand for high performance - fun cars and now more vanilla from America, just what the foreign automaker were hoping for and I guess they have basically given me the finger, with my Trailblazer SS and my HHR SS, all I can say is good luck selling me another car. Maybe that is why I am still holding on to my old 3000GT VR-4, twin turbo twin intercooled AWD car.
Yes but those cars are sold in so few numbers that they do not pay the bills. It is the boring cars like a Malibu that make the profits to afford GM to build cars like the SS.

Right now GM is in critical condition and asking the goverment for an additional 16 billion then spending the money on a bunch of low volume perfromance cars would finish GM off.

I am all for perfromance cars and so is GM but right now they have to do now what they want but what they should have done and get their house righted.

GM needs to right size and start to show a profit. IF they do not become profitable soon on high volume cars they will no longer be.

Cars like the V series and ZR1 will not save GM no matter how good they are. Heck Chrysler was saved by a Mini Van not the Viper.

While outwardly Performance will be down played it will not vanish. In the future we will still have a few toys but they will not be the ones getting the push in marketing. Look for the special options on some of the cars that will transform it inot a driving machines you will nered to add your own SS badge.

Toyota didn not make it to #1 with low volume fun performance cars. The dowdy Carola and Camry is what did it.

Besides how many times has Ford killed SVT and SHO?

Last edited by HillsdaleHHR; 02-18-2009 at 05:58 PM. Reason: Removed pic from quote
Old 02-18-2009, 06:27 PM

Let's not get too excited, read between the lines.
With our new govt., GM has to do something to show them they are being responsible. Regardless of how you feel about them getting the loan(s), they are struggling and the $ can help them survive through this downturn. Our new govt ran on a platform of energy conservation and "high performance" does not sound good to them, so GM is TEMPORARILY dis-banning this group (they moved those engineers, didn't fire them}
High performance has historically been profitable, so they will be bringing it back once the dust settles and the economy recovers. Until ll then, we will have to live with what we got. I assume the SS models already designed, Cobalt, HHR included, will still be built, but we may not see a new stage kit for the 09 HHR and cobalt?
Old 02-18-2009, 06:27 PM

Speaking of Ford and the SHO Its back!! 2010 Tarus.
Old 02-18-2009, 06:36 PM
Founding Member

Hopefully they are just doing this for show. For all of us that lived through this BS in the 70's the performance cars did come back. Now everyone that wants GM to become Toyota with their blah fuel effiecent vehicles gets to be happy today.
Old 02-18-2009, 06:36 PM

No notes on the Camaro RS... or did I miss it?
Old 02-18-2009, 07:09 PM

Originally Posted by lady3bglover
No notes on the Camaro RS... or did I miss it?
The RS is a package trim package available on the SS and standard Camaro and is a go. The Camaro program is fully intact as planned accept for the Z28 right now that is on hold. We will still have a 3.6 DI 300 HP V6 in the base car and a 400 pluse V8 in the SS.

The Camaro out side the Z28 is a go. We still shoud also see a convertible too. It was on hold but I heard that it should still come to market.

As GM MGR stated this is all BS to please DC. People voted for change and they got what they were asking for and then some.

Like pointed out above in the 70's we had a few years of this and in the late 50's GM dropped out of all racing with the other MFGs per it was the PC thing to do back then when many drivers were dying.

The bottom line I want to stress to everyone this in not the end forever. There are some tight times in a troubled company that is playing the PC gave to get the ship righted. The same spirited engineers are still there and many of these programs can returrn once GM gets it's house in order.

As for now watch what the goverment does as it will seal the fate of the auto industry and perfromance more than anything. Laws are being looked at that will limit not only factory performance but even what you do to your own vehicle.

There is pending law in Oregon that may make it illegal to put larger tires and wheel on your vehicle as well as sway bars or other after market items deemed by the goverment that could decrease mileage or create more CO levels.

The people voted in many places are funded by eviro groups that want to remove any and all performance from detroit and your own garage.

I am for clean air but some of these powerful people are zelots and go far beyond reason. So if you want to worry and stress this is where you need to direct your attention. A lot of Eviro lobbiest are getting paid back after the last election.
Old 02-18-2009, 07:26 PM

I take it then we won't be seeing any 350/350 HHR's anytime soon Name:  14cry1-1.gif
Views: 129
Size:  13.9 KB

Quick Reply: No more GM Performance/SS Division