The Lounge Off Topic PG-13.
Warning: The Lounge may contain irrelevant and off topic discussions that may not be related to anything HHR. If you are not interested in these kinds of discussions, do not read or respond to these threads.

Odd Car habits...

Search this Thread

Old 07-21-2011, 04:06 PM

Odd Car habits...

Do you or someone you know have odd car operating habits? I have a friend who thinks you need to utilize the E-brake when parking an automatic. I asked him why, he said, just in case putting it in park fails, or if I'm parked on a hill. I tried to explain to him that when the transmission is in park it literally locks the transmission into place, it is almost inconceivable that the car will move. Even if it is pushed by an outside force, the tires will just drag on the ground. Anyway, what other odd habits do people have?
Old 07-21-2011, 04:23 PM
Founding Member

Even though nobody uses the park brake, the owners manual states it should be used every time the vehicle is parked, regardless of the transmission type.

I have a neighbor who drives with his convertible top down all the time with the A/C on. I find that odd especially on 100° days.
Old 07-21-2011, 04:26 PM

Well, you explained to him wrongly (if that's a word). Your friend is correct and this is a very good habit, not an odd one. Why do you think car manufacturers would put the effort in, and the expense, of putting in a parking brake if it wasn't needed.

It's not that common, but autos do pop out of park from time to time. Also, when parking on a hill, it is also very possible for the tranny to bind up and get stuck in park because of the weight of the car pushing downhill. I have seen this happen many times in the past and it's actually happened to me more than once. I've actually seen people break their tranny linkage from this exact situation. The parking brake stops this from happening.

The only thing odd about this, is that you think e-brakes aren't needed
Old 07-21-2011, 04:30 PM
Platinum Member

I'm not sure it's still active BUT, in some mountainous states it is written law that when parking the vehicle the ebrake MUST be employed AND the front tires turned AGAINST the curb (if one is available).

However, that was a long time ago.....before automatic transmissions became the "norm".

Agree with the above....diffinately on a hill.....of any sort.
Old 07-21-2011, 04:49 PM

I didn't say an ebrake was totally useless, but you don't need it ALL THE TIME. And I didn't explain to him wrongly, putting the transmission into park locks the transmission, making it close to impossible for the car to move. Nor did I say he had a bad habit, just an odd one.