The Lounge Off Topic PG-13.
Warning: The Lounge may contain irrelevant and off topic discussions that may not be related to anything HHR. If you are not interested in these kinds of discussions, do not read or respond to these threads.

Oil City

Search this Thread

Old 03-24-2008, 11:21 PM

Oil City

Saw on the CBS Eveing news that Oil City Pa is pumping oil out of the ground once again. Or at least some are. One guy is even using his century old equip. to pump the fields he has. Some companies from Canada is getting in on the action by leasing land, and adding updated equipment.

FYI, Oil City is one of the first, if not the first (in this country) to pump oil out of the ground for auto use. most stopped pumping because it was hard to make ends meet for their family. They just could not compete with the foriegn market, now that the price per barrel is up, they can.
Old 03-25-2008, 12:03 AM

Good to hear...hope they open up all of the US reserves, maybe get these prices down a little!

BTW...Dave, how are you doing? Hope all is well with you.
Old 03-25-2008, 04:44 PM

I was hoping that someone was posting to see if there was someone in that area, i'm going to be there in like 2-3 weeks for a wedding.
Old 03-25-2008, 05:13 PM
Founding Member

Second time in two days that I have heard of Oil City. My mother-in-law was born there. Weird.
Old 03-25-2008, 07:02 PM

It is time to start drilling our own oil. We can make it work and it would be good all around for Americans. It can be done to please "environmentalist" also...
Old 03-25-2008, 08:00 PM

Originally Posted by hunter
. It can be done to please "environmentalist" also...
Sorry, but in my humble opinion that is an oxymoron, you can not please an environmentalist.
Old 03-25-2008, 08:20 PM

Originally Posted by Old Ray
Sorry, but in my humble opinion that is an oxymoron, you can not please an environmentalist.
That is very true. One thing to note is that most of these people are not real environmentalist... they are just nuts.
Old 03-25-2008, 09:01 PM

Wouldn't it be great if the aBiotic theory of petroleum formation was true? Every time an old oil field fills back up, it lends some loose credence to the abiotic theory.
Old 03-25-2008, 10:22 PM

I live about an hour from Oil City. Hadn't heard they were active again. But I'm 20 minutes from Warren, PA and United Refining is located there. It would make a ton of sense for them to go back to drilling. Oil City was home for Quaker State and I believe Pennziol. Bradford PA was home to Kendall, which is now non-existant.

PS - I'm and environmentalist and proud of it. Nothing wrong with protecting our environment for our children, trying to starve off cancer, making clean air, etc. It is a balancing act. I also vote Democratic -somehow I remember how they fought for Union Rights.
Old 03-27-2008, 10:39 PM

Good to hear for Oil City. Maybe get some people there working again. Close to Oil City (closer to Titusville) is a little spot on the map that was the first oil boom town in the area. Does anyone know its name?

Quick Reply: Oil City