The Lounge Off Topic PG-13.
Warning: The Lounge may contain irrelevant and off topic discussions that may not be related to anything HHR. If you are not interested in these kinds of discussions, do not read or respond to these threads.

OnStar to provide your information starting Dec 1 2011

Search this Thread

Old 09-23-2011, 06:57 AM

http://www.zdziarski.com/blog/?p=1270

OnStar will start providing your driving habits, seat belt usage, speed driven, and location to many agencies, read the above article.

I for one am disconnecting my box from the power and antenna.
Old 09-23-2011, 07:23 AM
Banned

Booooooo!
Old 09-23-2011, 07:30 AM
Premium Member

Onstar / Big Brother
Old 09-23-2011, 07:58 AM

Glad for once that I DON'T have the blue button!
Old 09-23-2011, 08:07 AM

"Sieg Heil!"

Jim
Old 09-23-2011, 08:17 AM

Originally Posted by Putter
Glad for once that I DON'T have the blue button!
Same here.......
Old 09-25-2011, 08:31 AM

Fyi

recent email....
1.OnStar Data Connection — Initial Terms
We have added to the Terms and Conditions the provision that if you or we cancel your OnStar Services, we will maintain the two-way connection with your Vehicle and may continue to collect data from your Vehicle, unless you take certain steps to deactivate the Data Connection or fully disable the Equipment.

If you do not want OnStar to maintain a Data Connection to your Vehicle, you can push your blue button or call us at 1.888.4.ONSTAR at any time and request that the Data Connection be deactivated. It may take up to sixty (60) days for OnStar to cancel your account and deactivate the Data Connection to your Vehicle. During this sixty (60) day period, Service may still be available, and data may be collected from your Vehicle.

Upon deactivation, OnStar will no longer be capable of contacting, or obtaining data from, your Vehicle although you will be able to contact OnStar by pressing the blue OnStar button twice. To disable the Vehicle's ability to contact OnStar through the blue OnStar button, you must visit an authorized dealer and ask them to remove the Equipment from your Vehicle.

1.How Your OnStar Equipment Works, Geographic Limits, and Other Restrictions — Section 10
We have added to Section 10 the provision that OnStar is not responsible for your failure to comply with applicable laws while you are driving or using the Equipment or Services.

1.OnStar Advisors Connect You to Other Service Providers — Section 12
We have added to Section 12 the provision that OnStar is not responsible for charges, fees, or taxes arising from services provided by Service Providers, including law enforcement, fire department, or ambulance services, contacted by OnStar.

1.What If Your Vehicle Is Stolen? — Section 17
As with the previous Terms and Conditions, you can elect to deactivate the ability of OnStar to slow down your Vehicle. However, pursuant to the amended Terms and Conditions, if you deactivate this capability, you will not be able to receive any Services at all.

1.Your Privacy — Section 32
The amended Terms and Conditions reflect changes that we have contemporaneously made to our Privacy Statement. Although the Terms and Conditions describe and summarize some of the key provisions in our Privacy Statement, we encourage you to review the Privacy Statement to learn the full details of our privacy practices (a copy of the Privacy Statement is attached as Schedule A to the amended Terms and Conditions and can also be found here).

We have added to the amended Terms and Conditions more detailed information about the information we collect about you and about your Vehicle, including how we collect your information, what we do with it and how we share it. For example, unless the Data Connection in your Vehicle is deactivated, information about your Vehicle may continue to be collected even if you do not have Service. In addition to other purposes set out in the prior version of the Privacy Statement, we may use the information we collect about you and your Vehicle to improve the quality of our Service and offerings and may share the information we collect with law enforcement or other public safety officials, credit card processors, and/or third parties we contract with who conduct joint marketing initiatives with OnStar. The Privacy Statement provides certain options relating to choices you have concerning how your information is used and how you may manage your preferences. Finally, we have added additional information about how OnStar safeguards your personal information.

1.The Law That Governs Our Relationship — Section 39
We have changed Section 39 of the Terms and Conditions to specify that the laws that govern the amended Terms and Conditions will be the laws of the state of your OnStar billing address.
Old 09-25-2011, 08:43 AM

Actually, if you read the new privacy policy, personal info (like your name and address), speed and location are specifically omitted from the information that may be provided from non-members.

All of the On-Star info has been gathered for members since the beginning. It have even been subpoenaed by insurance and police to prove things like speeding before and accident.
Old 09-25-2011, 08:43 AM

https://www.chevyhhr.net/forums/showthread.php?t=37465

Could the mods combine the above thread with this one?

http://www.zdziarski.com/blog/?p=1270

OnStar will start providing your driving habits, seat belt usage, speed driven, and location to many agencies, read the above article.

I for one am disconnecting my box from the power and antenna.
Old 09-25-2011, 03:41 PM
Platinum Member

Guys.....

This is the writers OPINION based on his interpretation of the T & C's. I see nothing in the wording that specifically supports his statements. He is just saying IT COULD. Admittedly the gut is a genius. But like all that fit that intelligence parameter, they tend to be slightly "different" in other areas.IMO

Also, how many vehicles have OnStar....probably a couple million....I don't reasonably believe OnStar has the capability to continuously track each vehicle, ALL THE TIME. I mean hell the American ATC can't even track that many aircraft at one time.

I think it's another case of "the sky is falling" !!!

I remember when people were concerned about their cellular systems doing the same thing. Hasn't happened yet, that I'm aware of.

But, do what you THINK is necessary.

Quick Reply: OnStar to provide your information starting Dec 1 2011