The Lounge Off Topic PG-13.
Warning: The Lounge may contain irrelevant and off topic discussions that may not be related to anything HHR. If you are not interested in these kinds of discussions, do not read or respond to these threads.

panel snafu?

Search this Thread

Old 09-09-2010, 01:03 PM
Premium Member

panel snafu?

I was driving I-40 west of Amarillo Tx. Trooper pulled me over for "driving on improved side road." He was behind me when I came upon a work convoy stopped in the fast lane. I slowed down and slipped right side tires onto shoulder to pass the convoy. Most states, thats what you are supposed to do. During our discussion, he said he appreciated what I did, that's why he was only giving me a warning. What? I got a warning for doing what I should do. Uh.....so I stopped at Oklahoma info center and told them the story. Since I was driving a panel, info person said all panels, vans, etc., are stopped for being possible drug runners. Never thought that might happen to a Santa in a red panel minding his own business doing the speed limit. Kinda makes me want to skip Texas in the future.
Old 09-09-2010, 01:06 PM

Everytime I go to Savannah I see several type of cargo trucks and tractor trailers pulled over. probably for the same reason.
Old 09-09-2010, 01:17 PM
Platinum Member

You got a BS story from the OK Info center. Remember those people are volunteers and have very little training. Besides what would a VOLUNTEER in OK know about enforcement policies in TX.

And the Appellate Federal Courts have ruled that stopping ALL panels, vans, SUV's, etc. because "they MAY be carrying contraband" will not pass probable cause and is in violation of our Constitution. Although the Texas LEO probably used your driving violation as the PC for the stop.

Most states, within some restrictions, have a law prohibiting the use of shoulders as a passing or traveling lane.
Old 09-19-2010, 08:58 AM

Annoy law enforcement and exercise your constitutional rights.

1) "I choose to remain silent"
2) "I do not consent to searches"
3) "Am I free to go?"

2010 HHR PANEL LS 2.2L
Old 09-19-2010, 11:20 AM

Originally Posted by RedwoodPerch
Annoy law enforcement and exercise your constitutional rights.

1) "I choose to remain silent" "You have the right to remain silent"
2) "I do not consent to searches" "You have the right to demand a search warrant"
3) "Am I free to go?" "Right after we go downtown and answer a few questions"

2010 HHR PANEL LS 2.2L
Old 09-19-2010, 11:39 AM

No front plate, passing on the right if your tires touch the dirt (as you did), defective tailight, defective license plate light, dark tinted front windows, loud exhaust, headlights out of adjustment, lowered below limit, rolling through a stop, driving too slowly, etc

These are all LEGITIMATE reasons to be cited, and are all used here in CA to pull folks over. If you don't have something else going on, most of these get you just a warning or a fix-it-ticket, but, if they find something else good for them. In other words if you give them an excuse they will use it for any reason they care to.

Last edited by c2vette; 09-19-2010 at 04:50 PM.
Old 09-19-2010, 11:46 AM

Panel-noia

I was pulled over in my 08-Panel on my birthday. First question the officer ask me... "How much did you chop out of the top?" lol
Old 09-19-2010, 04:30 PM
Rest In Peace

I have a Black Panel, with custom wheels, lowered, 7" Pioneer touch screen head unit, 9" headrest monitors that can be seen playing at night, (Can't see them on at all during the day, from the outside) I play movies, cartoons even the 3 stooges while driving around with the music Loud and cops have been behind me and along side of me, and I havent been pulled over.

On a Friday night at around 3AM (went for a Coffee)
I had a cop pull out behind me from a light, follow me for several blocks, then he changed lanes and lit up his cherries pulling over someone in a White car that looked stock. I think he was Enjoying watching the 3 stooges movies on DVD behind me.

I havent been bothered at all, and my panels front and only windows came Darkly Tinted. I even have an OZZY sticker on my back window.

Old 09-20-2010, 12:01 AM
Platinum Member

Originally Posted by rubics_cube
I was pulled over in my 08-Panel on my birthday. First question the officer ask me... "How much did you chop out of the top?" lol
Bummer for a B-Day, but that's a good one !!!
Old 09-21-2010, 09:39 AM

Originally Posted by American & Proud
I have a Black Panel, with custom wheels, lowered, 7" Pioneer touch screen head unit, 9" headrest monitors that can be seen playing at night, (Can't see them on at all during the day, from the outside) I play movies, cartoons even the 3 stooges while driving around with the music Loud and cops have been behind me and along side of me, and I havent been pulled over.

On a Friday night at around 3AM (went for a Coffee)
I had a cop pull out behind me from a light, follow me for several blocks, then he changed lanes and lit up his cherries pulling over someone in a White car that looked stock. I think he was Enjoying watching the 3 stooges movies on DVD behind me.

I havent been bothered at all, and my panels front and only windows came Darkly Tinted. I even have an OZZY sticker on my back window.

We better be sure not to park next to each other....

Might get my door glass tinted when I get back from Mexico.

Quick Reply: panel snafu?