The Lounge Off Topic PG-13.
Warning: The Lounge may contain irrelevant and off topic discussions that may not be related to anything HHR. If you are not interested in these kinds of discussions, do not read or respond to these threads.

Petition to U.S. Congress.

Search this Thread

Old 12-18-2006, 09:56 AM

Originally Posted by EL_REY
G. Wash. wasnt an american
can a non-american get the MOH ?

History 101 is needed.
Old 12-18-2006, 01:55 PM

Originally Posted by solman98
History 101 is needed.
uh huh lol im embarassed... i was thinking of someone else

but anyways....from what i have read, ppl didnt seem to like him very much as the first prez due(or anything else) to his very strong ties to england, and something to do with him bieng in the english army as well(from wat i can rememeber reading), before he was fighting for the patriots..he was an english sympathizer, and at first did want to reconcile with the brits and have no revolution

Are you really a teacher?????
yes, i teach math

born to english parents, therefore he is/was english, since there was no "america" at the time, at least officially

wasnt andrew jackson the first native born prez?
Old 12-18-2006, 06:25 PM

Originally Posted by El_Guapo
I agree, the CMOH should never be awarded ceremonialy. I'm not asking for it to be given to Gen. Washington in that manner. If you look at his service record, he distinguished him slef many times with unselfish acts of bravery in the face of what could have been certain death. There are MOH winners that were not killed during battle. In fact there have been a great number of living MOH winners. Gen. Washington earned the MOH many times over, just go thru some of the things he did while he was Commander in Chief of the Continental Army. I'm positive you will find many reasons for him to be awarded the MOH.

We already have too many buildings, parks, bridges etc. We don't need another landmark with his name on it. We need to recognize him for what he did in service of this nation.
My point was that in every town is America, there`s something to remind us what a GREAT man G.W. 1 was.
You`ve never answered my question, why the sudden interest in Washington at this time, on your part...
Old 12-18-2006, 10:58 PM

Originally Posted by Black Beauty
My point was that in every town is America, there`s something to remind us what a GREAT man G.W. 1 was.
You`ve never answered my question, why the sudden interest in Washington at this time, on your part...
it's not a sudden interest actually. I'm a history major and Washington was one of my strong subjects of interest in college. It's been a few years since I really did much research, but over the past few months I have rediscovered my love and interest for American History, particularly the period of the Revolution.
Old 12-19-2006, 05:52 AM

So you must be under the impression, after exhaustive research, that this is the one thing (Medal/Commendation) that will elevate G. Washington to the stature he really deserves and that the history of the revolution will finally be told in a way that all Americans will appreciate and honor G.W.1 and all the men and women who died in the creation/forming of this great country.
Old 12-19-2006, 06:54 AM

An interesting idea but, I couldn't promote this without doing some of my own research about G.W.

There are some things that I think should be clarified though. I'm not trying to offend anyone here; I'm just quoting the replies I saw and making corrections.

Originally Posted by El_Guapo
...In fact there have been a great number of living MOH winners.
Military personnel who receive awards and decorations are not winners, they are recipients. These awards are based on heroism, valor, and service not something as trivial as being winners in a game. It is a minor change in grammar but, it is one of my pet peeves. In fact there is only one award that has a requirement and that is the Purple Heart (which bears the likeness of G. W. on it) and that is one must be wounded or killed by an enemy of the US or its allies.

Originally Posted by scaleguy
...President Washington was awarded the highest rank in the Army (6 star General) a rank only actually worn by one General "Black Jack" Pershing, after the fact, in recognition of his service.
No one has ever worn the rank of a 6 star general. General Pershing was granted the rank of General of the Armies in 1919 for his performance of the commander of the American Expeditionary Force during World War I. During World War II and the creation of the 5 star general it as stated that since Pershing was senior to all newly appointed 5 star generals he should outrank them. Although he was superior to 5 star generals he was no longer active with the military when this recommendation was made he never wore the rank of a 6 star general.

G.W. was posthumously appointed to General of the Armies of the United State and thus, will never be outranked.

This Wikipedia article give more information on General of the Armies.
Old 02-11-2007, 10:34 AM

With Presidents Day coming up, Feb 19th, I was curious to see what ever became of this petition drive, in fact, what became of the author of this thread ?