The Lounge Off Topic PG-13.
Warning: The Lounge may contain irrelevant and off topic discussions that may not be related to anything HHR. If you are not interested in these kinds of discussions, do not read or respond to these threads.

Are pickups really needed ?

Search this Thread

Old 12-14-2019, 11:06 AM

Are pickups really needed ?

I see a lot of new pickups on Long Island that aren't used for work.
I mean, I see bicycle racks on the back of them instead of putting the bikes in the bed.
I just don't understand.
Is this a Macho thing ? Or is it a "I never had one" thing ?
Even this. There really is no reason for 4 WD on the Island at all, but people own AWD and 4WD.
I just don't see the reasoning.
Buy a car and save gas and insurance costs.
Old 12-14-2019, 11:31 AM
Administrator

Did I need this? Not really. Did I want this? Hell yeah! It’s a matter of preference, and my Dad left me his ‘67 GMC long bed when he passed in 1970. That started my love of pickups
Old 12-14-2019, 12:16 PM

OK there is one opinion on the subject.
Anyone else ?
Old 12-14-2019, 02:33 PM

Mostly a macho thing, I think. Totally unnecessary, but not a Mom-mobile.

The Big 3 are stopping building most cars, too, so options are disappearing. If you don't want foreign, you have SUVs and Trucks to choose from. I completely DISAGREE with limiting consumer choices, but who am I?

If the wife has a Traverse/Explorer/Grand Cherokee, and you aren't buying a Camaro/Mustang/Challenger as the male, where do you go? The Tauruses and Impalas are going away. The few Malibus and Fusions remaining are kind of neutered.
Old 12-14-2019, 03:42 PM

I have the HHR and a full size, standard cab, standard bed Dodge 4X4...

Do you realise how difficult it is to find a standard cab, standard bed pickup truck these days. They are all 4 door, short bed for the most part... They are SUVs with a tiny bed on the back, I'm guessing for hauling groceries.
Old 12-14-2019, 04:21 PM

Originally Posted by Cat Man HHR
I see a lot of new pickups on Long Island that aren't used for work.
I mean, I see bicycle racks on the back of them instead of putting the bikes in the bed.
I just don't understand.
. There really is no reason for 4 WD on the Island at all, but people own AWD and 4WD.
I just don't see the reasoning.

Buy a car and save gas and insurance costs.
I disagree.
  • I did not own a pickup but when I lived out on Long Island I had a 4WD S10 Blazer. We had a pass to take it off-road, my friends and I would do it several times throughout the year. In fact, it was almost the only way to get me on the beach. We would put the tailgate down, put a piece of plywood down and use a portable BBQ.
  • Not to mention that there are several times there was decent enough snowfall that the 4WD came in handy and make the vehicle a sure-footed.
  • It sure makes getting garden supplies and other larger items easier.
Old 12-14-2019, 04:38 PM
Administrator

In the interest of further opinion, I called my wrench man Dan, he has a 2009 F350 4X4 four door with an 8 foot box, I asked him why, he simply stated “cause I wanted it, it’s a neat truck , and he liked the look at f it”
His wife grabbed the phone and said she just ordered one of those new Jeep four door pickups, why? She loves the looks and the colour she ordered, all black , and she stated everything is gloss black!
Old 12-14-2019, 05:11 PM

i would get another truck in a second now as i don't need to protect the news papers i once was carrying.
i had three compact trucks 91 gmc sonoma st 94 s10 ss and a 2000 s10 xtreme.
loved all three, put the most miles on the 2000 xtreme with 203,234. all three were the 4.3 v6
Old 12-14-2019, 05:26 PM
Platinum Member

City folks don't usually "need" a pickup. Down South where I am most folks have at least one in the family. No way I would do without one. Have always had at least one for the last 35 years.
From hauling my double axle trailer to filling up the truck bed with trimmmed tree branches or cut firewood. Lots of chores I can do with my pickup.
Heck. My wife even ask me if she could borrow my truck in a couple weeks to go pick up a bed full of horse manure for her garden ! Don't see putting a load of crap in the back of her Hyundai or , god forbid , in the back of my SS.

So. Are pickups really needed. In my case yes.
Old 12-14-2019, 08:33 PM
Platinum Member

Originally Posted by Greybeard999
I have the HHR and a full size, standard cab, standard bed Dodge 4X4...

Do you realize how difficult it is to find a standard cab, standard bed pickup truck these days. They are all 4 door, short bed for the most part... They are SUVs with a tiny bed on the back, I'm guessing for hauling groceries.
Ram is the only one you can still get in std cab & short box. I know this as I have talked to the Dealers.

Prior to my HHR Panel, Pickups were my main wheels, but I used them for hauling everything including Harleys.

Quick Reply: Are pickups really needed ?