The Lounge Off Topic PG-13.
Warning: The Lounge may contain irrelevant and off topic discussions that may not be related to anything HHR. If you are not interested in these kinds of discussions, do not read or respond to these threads.

Plexiglass???

Search this Thread

Old 12-29-2009, 05:27 PM

Plexiglass???

Has anyone know how to work with plexiglass, or has done any work with it. Because I want to make a clear parking lamp for my truck, not my hhr. Thanks
Old 12-30-2009, 07:07 AM

I have done lots of projects with plexiglas. Plexiglas is the trade name for a brand of acrylic, which is what Plexiglas is made out of.

What do you need to do with it? Bend it? Cut it? Compound curves?

Generally I have preferred to use polycarbonate (Lexan is the GE brand name) as it is a lot more impact resistant. However, it may yellow after a few years from UV.

Steve
Old 12-30-2009, 09:21 AM

Plexiglas is more scratch resistant than lexan, but it can splinter/shatter much easier. Both can be formed with heat.
Old 12-30-2009, 10:55 AM

plexi over lexan

having worked professionaly with both these products,i would say plexi is easier&heck of a lot cheaper than lexan.lexan was &is still used for aircraft canopy mfg.you can heat small sheets of plexi in an oven and then form over wood form blocks. i have made comlex winshields using aluminum bars heated to temp and placing under where you want tobend &form. realize though you only get one shot at it because if you try twice ,it will fracture&break.try on small pieces till you get the knack.usually you can get small end cuts for free or a small price from plastics distributor.
regards&later KEWATIN
Old 03-03-2010, 10:05 AM

Hmmm, this gives me an idea for custom speaker boxes where my windows will used to have been. 8-D