The Lounge Off Topic PG-13.
Warning: The Lounge may contain irrelevant and off topic discussions that may not be related to anything HHR. If you are not interested in these kinds of discussions, do not read or respond to these threads.

President Obama wins Nobel Peace Prize

Search this Thread

Old 10-09-2009, 10:25 AM

While one may question giving this to someone who has only been in office for 9 months, the reason for this is to inspire the individual(s) who won to continue working for peace.

@ngelita
Old 10-09-2009, 11:16 AM

Originally Posted by joeblue
He's been in office 9 whole months and left one hell of a mess by Bush, how about giving the guy a chance?
Im not a pro -obama fan, but I'm not going to bash him....but this time gotta blame the wingnuts @ the foundation who nominated him.

Kind reminds me of a comedy show I saw on TV where the kids all got a trophies regardless of who won the soccer game.

Maybe the wingnuts should've nominated a co-winner Osama/Taliban for trying to promote their "peaceful agenda"....no really they wouldn't be blowing people up if only they were understood cause they're really a peace loving bunch of guys
Old 10-09-2009, 11:56 AM

Originally Posted by GRUMPEE
Im not a pro -ABM fan, but I'm not going to bash him....but this time gotta blame the wing nuts @ the foundation who nominated him.

Kind reminds me of a comedy show I saw on TV where the kids all got a trophies regardless of who won the soccer game.

Maybe the wing nuts could've nominated a co-winner Asama/Tali ban for trying to promote their "peaceful agenda"....no really they wouldn't be blowing people up if only they were understood cause they're really a peace loving bunch of guys
I think you've said it best..............

Why blame Obama for getting it. I am not really an Obama supporter, I'm a conservative liberal who supports the President.

That said, I really am just as baffled by this as everyone. Not saying he is bad, what of great significance has he done to further peace?
Old 10-09-2009, 12:56 PM

Nothing..........
Old 10-09-2009, 01:20 PM
Platinum Member

My 2 cents......

Not Obama's fault......it's the Nobel Commitee's.

I'm beginning to believe the Nobel Prize Awards Committee is moving closer to electing "politically/socially correct" recipients than those who are actually worthy. First Gore, than Obama. I think this quote from the article says it all.......

"....and shocked Nobel observers because Obama took office less than two weeks before the Feb. 1 nomination deadline. Obama's name had been mentioned in speculation before the award but many Nobel watchers believed it was too early to award the president.".

So I ask, "what did he do while NOT being President" ???
Old 10-09-2009, 01:42 PM

Originally Posted by Snoopy
My 2 cents......

Not Obama's fault......it's the Nobel Commitee's.

I'm beginning to believe the Nobel Prize Awards Committee is moving closer to electing "politically/socially correct" recipients than those who are actually worthy. First Gore, than Obama. I think this quote from the article says it all.......

"....and shocked Nobel observers because Obama took office less than two weeks before the Feb. 1 nomination deadline. Obama's name had been mentioned in speculation before the award but many Nobel watchers believed it was too early to award the president.".

So I ask, "what did he do while NOT being President" ???
Interesting point you brought up...hmmm timing's everything?
Old 10-09-2009, 02:12 PM

I think Al Sharpton and Jessie Jackson had something to do with it
Old 10-09-2009, 02:14 PM
ecl

My to this is he got picked for it in Feb., he didnt even have time to anything. I think its all crap and yes its not really his fault he is getting it but still he shouldnd be handed things just because.
Old 10-09-2009, 03:36 PM
Founding Member

Injecting some humor into this.

As posted on Twitter:

Congrats to President Obama but I find it a bit odd he won the nobel peace prize the same morning the U.S. declared war on the moon..

Did someone tweak some global settings today? Golf an Olympic sport, Obama gets Nobel Peace prize, and it's only 3.45pm!

Suggesting Obama decline the Nobel is like asking someone on Wall St to give back the bonus.

White House speechwriter Jon Favreau was robbed of the Nobel literature prize.

Obama wins Nobel Prize good day for George W too, he got EXACTLY the Ice Age 3 pencil topper he wanted in his Golden Grahams.

Breaking: MLB has awarded the Yankees the World Championship in recognition of their pursuit of excellence.

Nobel Prize means world only hates CHICAGO, not Obama.

BONK BONK BONK BONK BONK (That's the sound I imagine Hillary Clinton's head made banging against the wall...-

Upon notification of his Nobel Peace prize Obama shoots a rocket at the moon to show he hasn't gone soft..

I hope no one invites Kanye West to Obamas Nobel prize ceremony..

Obama also awarded Nobel prize in chemistry. "He's just got great chemistry," says Nobel Committee..

For a guy who won the Peace Prize, Obama didn't seem to be helping with the whole Jon & Kate debacle.
Old 10-09-2009, 04:15 PM

What He did to win

Let’s take a look at the president’s first 12 days in the White House according to his public schedule to see what he did to deserve a Nobel Peace Prize:

January 20: Sworn in as president. Went to a parade. Partied.

January 21: Asked bureaucrats to re-write guidelines for information requests. Held an “open house” party at the White House.

January 22: Signed Executive Orders: Executive Branch workers to take ethics pledge; re-affirmed Army Field Manual techniques for interrogations; expressed desire to close Gitmo (how’s that working out?)

January 23: Ordered the release of federal funding to pay for abortions in foreign countries. Lunch with Joe Biden; met with Tim Geithner.

January 24: Budget meeting with economic team.

January 25: Skipped church.

January 26: Gave speech about jobs and energy. Met with Hillary Clinton. Attended Geithner's swearing in ceremony.

January 27: Met with Republicans. Spoke at a clock tower in Ohio.

January 28: Economic meetings in the morning, met with Defense secretary in the afternoon.

January 29: Signed Ledbetter Bill overturning Supreme Court decision on lawsuits over wages. Party in the State Room. Met with Biden.

January 30: Met economic advisers. Gave speech on Middle Class Working Families Task Force. Met with senior enlisted military officials.

January 31: Took the day off.

February 1: Skipped church. Threw a Super Bowl party.

So there you have it. The short path to the Nobel Peace Prize: Party, go to meetings, skip church, release federal funding to pay for abortions in foreign countries, party some more.

Good grief.

Read more Tommy De Seno at www.JustifiedRight.com

Quick Reply: President Obama wins Nobel Peace Prize