The Lounge Off Topic PG-13.
Warning: The Lounge may contain irrelevant and off topic discussions that may not be related to anything HHR. If you are not interested in these kinds of discussions, do not read or respond to these threads.

printer , cool , and not so cool

Search this Thread

Old 02-25-2009, 02:04 PM

printer , cool , and not so cool

i finally decided to "hook up" my new printer today. it's been sitting in the box for about a week , unopened. i just been kinda burned out with new gadgets , since i got new plasma , had to return to get lcd. got 3 different dvd players , tryin to find the right one to upconvert. and my new gps stoped working. anyhow , the printer is lexmark x7675 wireless. while researching reviews i decided to go ahead and order from buydig dcom. $135. it's 4 in 1 , wireless. instructions asked me for ssid, wireless net name , i got no clue. so i call 800 support #. got thru pretty quick. the lady that can barely speak english connects to my laptop and goes thru the whole setup, she is on my laptop controling the cursor. cool but scary. how they do that??? everything is cool and i am happy , except they snuk in some aol crap on me , now i just got to try to remove it.
Old 02-25-2009, 02:10 PM
Founding Member

Originally Posted by catdaddy137
, except they snuk in some aol crap on me , now i just got to try to remove it.
I suggest removing it through the ADD/Remove programs in the "Control Panel" page.
Old 02-25-2009, 02:22 PM

Yup, best way to make sure its completely out.

I hate it when companies do that!
Old 02-25-2009, 02:25 PM

research lavasoft adaware spyware removal software. you will have to delete aol yourself but you can use lavasoft to get rid of any other crap they put in there with it. it will make your machine a whole lot faster.
Old 02-25-2009, 02:45 PM

your ssid would be whatever you call your wireless network in your house. For example when you turn on your computer and it said it found a wireless signal and it is connecting, whatever that name is. Mine is called "jm" my initials. Nice and easy to find, but i use a 26 key password for it so that other people can't hop on.

Networking products are one of the most returned items because the general consumer just does not know how to set up a network.

If it was me, i would not have let them do a remote desktop. I will let our IT team do that and that is about it. Otherwise I don't want people inside of my computer.
Old 02-25-2009, 02:51 PM

thanks,

right now i am just trying to print a page , or part of a page. i need a label , out of a email page from nextar. they sent me a label so that i can send my gps/nav back to them. i 've already printed 8 pages and none of them are right. i wonder if the label will have to be a specific size??? it has 2 bar codes on it. i have tryed to change by scanning it on the printer , by clicking on the page , and by clicking the print icon at the top of the page. i guess i might have to do a bunch of reading in the manual. this is not the 1st printer i have used. i have had vista for about 3months. and been online for over 10 years. it should not be difficult for me. but so far it has been. do i need to make a file out the email page and then try to change it???
Old 02-25-2009, 02:57 PM

Originally Posted by catdaddy137
i have had vista for about 3months
Well there's your problem right there !!

Sorry, I'm a mac guy, so I had to take a shot at it.

Back to the subject. Not exactly sure at what you are trying to do? Just print an e-mail? You could be able just to print it out. Why is it not coming out right?

If it is supposed to be a shipping label. I would print it out on normal paper, cut it out, and then using packaging tape to put it on the box, covering the entire thing.
Old 02-25-2009, 04:42 PM

yay for mac people. i hate PCs. continue with your thread, sorry for the interuption.
Old 02-25-2009, 05:45 PM

mac or not

i truly believe that if i had a mac that this issue would be no less. it would probably be more of an issue. i installed sat dishes and was trained to install cable modems. installing on mac was no easier than any other. i don't think this is a vista issue , i hope it is just an operator issue. alot of things on computers is self explanatory to me , i ussually just learn by trial and error , instead of reading thru a ton of useless info. i comprehend very well , i just don't ussually retain as much as if i do hands on. anyhow , i got 1 printed , that will work , but there is still some of the page missing on the right margin. thanks. oh , and also thanks to all that recomended the Avast antivirus , it seems to be working well , and it never asks me for anything. norton bugs me always asking me for something. i will try the lavasoft. some of those unwanted programs sometimes seem impossible to get rid of. oh , and i've had wireless for 3 years. i never had anything special security just for it. like now i just have the avast. should i have something else , just because i have wireless router??? wireless router was easy setup.
Old 02-25-2009, 06:02 PM

technically you should have security on your wireless. Anyone who was near enough your signal could get on it. Worst case scenario (if it was what they were planning to do) they could catch any personal information and or credit information you may be transmitting.

For me, it is because I live in an apartment and don't want any leeches sucking my bandwidth.

To each their own with operating systems. It's not always what causes problems, but i love my mac since i am spyware and adware free and i had one virus in 7 years, and all it did was screw up my Microsoft word (so more of a microsoft problem still)

Quick Reply: printer , cool , and not so cool