The Lounge Off Topic PG-13.
Warning: The Lounge may contain irrelevant and off topic discussions that may not be related to anything HHR. If you are not interested in these kinds of discussions, do not read or respond to these threads.

Recalled Toyota Corolla Crashes Into Stone Mountain Home

Search this Thread

Old 02-26-2010, 06:35 AM

Recalled Toyota Corolla Crashes Into Stone Mountain Home

STONE MOUNTAIN, Ga. -- The Toyota Corolla that went straight through a Stone Mountain house Thursday night has been recalled. The driver was about to head to the store. Instead she drove clear across the street and straight through the front door of her neighbor’s home.

“I thought I was in a movie. She was just coming out of the driveway and she was just about to stop to pick us up but the car just take-off,” said Therese Mitchell.

The Corolla took off, and ended up in Roger Norde's house. He received a call to come home.

“We was shocked and amazed, we was like holy smokes, you know, what's going on here,” said Norde.

No one was home at the time. The car took out the front door. The crash knocked out a front closet and left the rest of the foyer in shambles.

“She had her foot on the brake the whole time, and the car just kept on going, and next thing you know it hit the house and bam!” said Norde.

The car that crashed is a 2009 Toyota Corolla.

“The first thing we said was, ‘I wonder if it's the pedal problem thing,’” said Norde.

CBS Atlanta News checked the car's VIN number. It's been recalled because of a possible problem with the accelerator. “It looked like somebody actually mashed the accelerator and it just flew, it just flew,” said Mitchell.

The house had just been put on the market, but the owner is taking the damage in stride.

“We’re renting it. I don't know if we'll be able to rent it now but yeah, God is good, everybody's all right,” said Norde.

Norde does have insurance, but plans to contact Toyota to see if they'll pick up the cost of the repairs. The driver is shaken up, but OK. The air bag didn't go off, and that's something she’s going to look into.

All I can think of is:
Old 02-26-2010, 08:26 AM

I thought you were suppose to park cars in the garage. Glad no one was hurt and hope they figure why the problem happens and can fix it permanently.
Old 02-26-2010, 10:14 AM

How did the bumper get messed up?
Old 02-26-2010, 10:30 AM

Originally Posted by B@work
How did the bumper get messed up?
Looks like they ran over something. Looks like a post or mailbox to the right of it.

Looks like they use the same alarm company I do.... Wonder if it went off.
Old 02-26-2010, 11:49 AM

That looks exactly like my mom and dad's corolla. LOL They haven't said whether they know if their's is part of the recall yet or not.
Old 02-26-2010, 12:27 PM
Platinum Member

Grandson Toyoda better be careful doing his bows, someone might chop his head off.. Too many cover-ups..
Old 02-26-2010, 03:09 PM

this article is almost painful to read:

“We was shocked and amazed, we was like holy smokes, you know, what's going on here,”

plus most of the quotes seem to be from Roger Norde, the owner of the house, but no one was home at the time, and had to be called home, yet he has this quote:

“She had her foot on the brake the whole time, and the car just kept on going, and next thing you know it hit the house and bam!” said Norde.

odd quote from someone who wasn't even there.
Old 02-26-2010, 10:29 PM
Platinum Member

pending Lawsuit (I'm thinking)..
Old 02-27-2010, 06:58 AM

Lower right also looks like one of the tires peeled off.
Old 02-27-2010, 09:34 AM

For Rent: Newly remodeled suburban home...Recently added 3 car garage...

Quick Reply: Recalled Toyota Corolla Crashes Into Stone Mountain Home