The Lounge Off Topic PG-13.
Warning: The Lounge may contain irrelevant and off topic discussions that may not be related to anything HHR. If you are not interested in these kinds of discussions, do not read or respond to these threads.

Single Gender Public School

Search this Thread

Old 02-25-2008, 01:51 PM

Question Single Gender Public School

Thoughts?!?

From the Greene County Board of Education:

Single Gender Academies
On Monday, February 4, the Greene County School Board made history for public schools in America. In a unanimous vote, the Board approved a plan that will separate all of their classes by gender beginning in the 2008-2009 school year. While some school districts may have experimented with gender separation, this is unprecedented because none have ever attempted a whole system conversion.

Superintendent McCollough stated, “We have a wonderful community here in Greene County, but our students are not having the type of success that they truly deserve. By converting our schools to Single Gender Academies, we expect student achievement and college acceptance will increase, and discipline rates, teen pregnancy, and dropout rates will decrease”.

While this approach may be common in private schools, the difference is that Greene County is a public school district.
“The most important key to this reform is our School Board, because they are truly unified and willing to put politics aside in order to embrace real change.” McCollough said. “No other School Board in America has taken a bold step like this and our children are going to flourish because of their leadership”.

“Thinking outside of the box simply isn’t enough. You actually have to DO something outside of the box. If the single gender format is good enough for our finest private and charter schools, then why wouldn’t it be good enough for our public schools?”
Old 02-25-2008, 02:20 PM

Sounds like Muslim philosophy of education. Keep the sexes separate. I'm sure the Islamic people in the area will be happy.
Old 02-25-2008, 02:22 PM

Well, I know it would have done nothing for me However, I'm trying to figure out how they think it will decrease teen pregnancy. Are students having sex in class now?
Old 02-25-2008, 02:23 PM

I think this is WRONG, schools also provide young kids with social interaction experience. They are just avoiding the issues.

Last edited by JimZ_HHR; 02-25-2008 at 07:03 PM.
Old 02-25-2008, 02:25 PM

So now they will bus kids due to their sex? I'm sure the will win over a lot of parents that will have to send their kids to a school further away.

NOT!!!!!

Old 02-25-2008, 02:26 PM

Wonder if we have any Greene County, GA members here?
Old 02-25-2008, 02:27 PM

I think another reason they are doing this is to keep social pressure lower and being embarrased. Social pressure like wearing the right kind of clothes, whose friends with who, and worrying if someone like someone. The did a study couple years back and found out students learn better in this same gender classrooms.
Old 02-25-2008, 02:29 PM

Originally Posted by HillsdaleHHR
Are students having sex in class now?
Nope, the bathroom...has happen here where I live at the junior high
Old 02-25-2008, 06:52 PM

Seems like illegal segregation.

personally, I think it's retarded. Lets make it so when children make it to the real world after being bubble-wrapped and secluded their entire childhood, they have no idea how to behave or interact with each other.
Old 02-25-2008, 07:01 PM

Private schools have been doing it for years. They send more kids to college than any public schools. I think trying almost anything is better than what we have now!

Quick Reply: Single Gender Public School