The Lounge Off Topic PG-13.
Warning: The Lounge may contain irrelevant and off topic discussions that may not be related to anything HHR. If you are not interested in these kinds of discussions, do not read or respond to these threads.

SnowBlowers

Search this Thread

Old 11-15-2009, 09:00 PM

SnowBlowers

Looking to buy a Snow Blower, Does anyone know how to convert the CC ratings to HP? I've searched and Searched and can't find a Chart for the conversion.Why couldn't they just leave well enough alone!
Old 11-15-2009, 11:18 PM

Torque is the way to go

I bought a new snowblower this fall so I have been doing a lot of snowthrower research lately. And if I am implying correctly, you are maybe 30 miles from me...if you live in Crystal Lake ILLINOIS.

Over the last 2-3 years, there has been a big movement to torque ratings replacing horsepower ratings since almost all new throwers do not have an adjustable throttle anymore (most lawnmowers also). Just one engine speed at peak torque (normally mid-3k RPMs) to make them more EPA-worthy

So the high-RPM = HP days are behind us. I had to determine what engine was installed on a given model, and then go to the engine manufacturers' website to get the torque ratings (a few may still show HP).

Also, I have read that Tecumseh is no longer producing new engines, so engine-wise you are down to B&S, Honda, etc.

Try the following website for some info on models, but I do not think he actually tests each model...just notes technical changes in model year, etc.

http://movingsnow.com/

Let us/me know what you end up with?

Later,
Dan

PS Still looking for that aqua AA5 brembo-ed HHR SS

Last edited by djw479; 11-15-2009 at 11:22 PM. Reason: typos
Old 11-16-2009, 09:09 AM

Originally Posted by djw479
I bought a new snowblower this fall so I have been doing a lot of snowthrower research lately. And if I am implying correctly, you are maybe 30 miles from me...if you live in Crystal Lake ILLINOIS.

Over the last 2-3 years, there has been a big movement to torque ratings replacing horsepower ratings since almost all new throwers do not have an adjustable throttle anymore (most lawnmowers also). Just one engine speed at peak torque (normally mid-3k RPMs) to make them more EPA-worthy

So the high-RPM = HP days are behind us. I had to determine what engine was installed on a given model, and then go to the engine manufacturers' website to get the torque ratings (a few may still show HP).

Also, I have read that Tecumseh is no longer producing new engines, so engine-wise you are down to B&S, Honda, etc.

Try the following website for some info on models, but I do not think he actually tests each model...just notes technical changes in model year, etc.

http://movingsnow.com/

Let us/me know what you end up with?

Later,
Dan

PS Still looking for that aqua AA5 brembo-ed HHR SS
Thanks, We actually moved from Crystal Lake back in Mid-Sept We are now in Rockford, So little more snow. You are Correct Tecumseh is no longer in Business (probabaly due to being POS Engines). I'll look at his site and check it out. THanks
Old 11-16-2009, 02:17 PM

Is there any way to really convert CC to HP? Like car engines a 350 CI engine can have HP ratings from 200 HP to 375 HP, depending on the internals.

My snow thrower was the first thing grabbed up when I was moving from upstate NY to Florida. I don't miss the snow covered roads.