The Lounge Off Topic PG-13.
Warning: The Lounge may contain irrelevant and off topic discussions that may not be related to anything HHR. If you are not interested in these kinds of discussions, do not read or respond to these threads.

The SS for sale, so discussion

Search this Thread

Old 08-02-2019, 08:00 AM
Administrator

The SS for sale, so discussion

Nice, I’m Leary of two things, you mentioned Moog ball joints, they don’t make ball joints to fit the SS steering knuckle.
Those front rotors look smaller then the 11.6 inch SS rotors .
And please communicate thru our PM system, no phone numbers
Old 08-02-2019, 09:23 AM

GLWS. What kind of steering fluid did you put in it?
Old 08-02-2019, 09:25 AM
Platinum Member

Psssssssst.........Hey Steve.
That's a picture of the REAR rotor. Yes, they are smaller than the fronts.
Do I need to lend you my glasses......Again.
Old 08-02-2019, 10:09 AM
Banned

Originally Posted by Oldblue
Nice, I’m Leary of two things, you mentioned Moog ball joints, they don’t make ball joints to fit the SS steering knuckle.
Those front rotors look smaller then the 11.6 inch SS rotors .
And please communicate thru our PM system, no phone numbers
Hi,

The part numbers for both the ball joints and the rotors are shown in the invoice photos. The ball joints are on the car, they work fine, and have for a couple of years. They're part of the Moog "Problem Solver" line intended for professionals (I put them in myself) and isn't widely carried by most retailers. You have to go to a wholesaler, like I did. They were a bit of a pain because I had to drill out the rivets on the originals (that's why they're not usually shown as a replacement for the SS). They aligned up perfectly (I use slightly modified specs for better handling with the wider tires) and have endured the Michigan Moonscape without any issues. I just put the rotors and new pads on a couple of weeks ago, they're brand new. I bedded them in properly, per the Powerstop instructions. They fit, and work, great with the stock calipers (painted w/POR caliper paint). I also did a complete system bleed (including the automated bleed via the Tech2 scan tool) using ATE high temp fluid and SpeedBleeders at each caliper. Very firm pedal, ABS is fine.

Sorry about the phone number, I just pasted over the info from my Craigslist ad and for got to remove it. I'll certainly use the PM system.
Old 08-02-2019, 10:10 AM
Banned

Originally Posted by RJ_RS_SS_350
GLWS. What kind of steering fluid did you put in it?
Royal Purple.
Old 08-02-2019, 10:10 AM
Banned

Originally Posted by firemangeorge
Psssssssst.........Hey Steve.
That's a picture of the REAR rotor. Yes, they are smaller than the fronts.
Do I need to lend you my glasses......Again.
Correct.
Old 08-02-2019, 10:16 AM
Administrator

In the second picture, from the top there’s a picture of both the drivers side brakes front and rear.
FMG , I think it’s the different rims and wheel spacers giving me an optical illusion!

I checked the part numbers for the Power Stop kits they are for the SS
I checked the Moog Moog K80567 ball joints , they are not cool erect for the SS, the ball stud this not the 20.5 mm for the SS , but the smaller stud for the LS/LT knuckle.
The only way you can replace ball joints at this writing is with GM parts as discussed in our common parts list.
I’m not here to pick apart the SS , just ensure any potential buyers and you the seller are aware.
We’ve had several SS owners report problems with aftermarket ball joints .
I’m sure you will understand, my points .

If if it wasn’t for the ridiculous exchange rate and duties, I’d be at the airport waiting for y’all to pick me up!
Old 08-02-2019, 10:54 AM
Banned

Originally Posted by Oldblue
In the second picture, from the top there’s a picture of both the drivers side brakes front and rear.
FMG , I think it’s the different rims and wheel spacers giving me an optical illusion!

I checked the part numbers for the Power Stop kits they are for the SS
I checked the Moog Moog K80567 ball joints , they are not cool erect for the SS, the ball stud this not the 20.5 mm for the SS , but the smaller stud for the LS/LT knuckle.
The only way you can replace ball joints at this writing is with GM parts as discussed in our common parts list.
I’m not here to pick apart the SS , just ensure any potential buyers and you the seller are aware.
We’ve had several SS owners report problems with aftermarket ball joints .
I’m sure you will understand, my points .

If if it wasn’t for the ridiculous exchange rate and duties, I’d be at the airport waiting for y’all to pick me up!
I put them in over 3 years ago, I don't remember if I had to do anything special besides drilling out the rivets. I've put 20k miles or so on them, in MI, over rotten roads and snow, etc. Whatever I did back then seems to have worked pretty well, especially since I don't exactly drive in an overly restrained manner. If I see a nice turn or cloverleaf, etc., and there's no traffic, I'll take it up to 8/10s or so just for the fun of it. Not dangerous, no tire squeal, etc., just some extra lateral g-force to brighten the day a bit. I know what you mean about the exchange rate. I bought a car in Calgary and drove it back to MI. Made 30% as soon as I crossed the border (after the 2.5% duty we pay coming back in). We could just do like the politicians do. I could "donate" it to your charity and then you could "contribute" to my campaign, right? If only... Thanks for what you do on this forum. I don't post much but I do use it for a lot of research. It's nice to know someone is making sure the info is vetted. Lots of bad info on many other forums. Thanks again.
Old 08-02-2019, 11:52 AM

From the moog site https://www.moog-suspension-parts.com/moog-k80567

Fitment

Front Lower Ball Joint moog-k80567 fits these vehicles:Jump to Year Chevrolet Cobalt 2005 Chevrolet Cobalt 2006 Chevrolet Cobalt 2007 Chevrolet Cobalt 2008 Chevrolet Cobalt 2009 Chevrolet Cobalt 2010 Chevrolet HHR 2006 Chevrolet HHR 2007 Chevrolet HHR 2008 Chevrolet HHR 2009 Chevrolet HHR 2010 Chevrolet HHR 2011 Pontiac G5 2007 Pontiac G5 2008 Pontiac G5 2009 Pontiac G5 2010 Pontiac Pursuit 2005 Pontiac Pursuit 2006
Detailsmoog-k80567 | Front Lower Ball Joint | Chevrolet HHR | MOOG-K80566

with performance and handling suspension (FE5)
with sport suspension (FE3)
Will not fit HHR SS models

The discrepancy between "fits FE5" and "Will not fit HHR SS models" is because the Cobalts had 2 versions of FE5. This ball joint is for the Cobalt FE5 except SS Turbocharged. Both Cobalt and HHR turbocharged used a balljoint with a larger stud that fits into the steering knuckle.

Using this ball joint(with the smaller stud) creates an unsafe condition. The pinch bolt cannot fully tighten on the stud. Cranking down on the pinch bolt to get it tight will crack the steering knuckle.
Old 08-02-2019, 04:17 PM
Banned

Originally Posted by RJ_RS_SS_350
From the moog site https://www.moog-suspension-parts.com/moog-k80567

Fitment

Front Lower Ball Joint moog-k80567 fits these vehicles:Jump to Year Chevrolet Cobalt 2005 Chevrolet Cobalt 2006 Chevrolet Cobalt 2007 Chevrolet Cobalt 2008 Chevrolet Cobalt 2009 Chevrolet Cobalt 2010 Chevrolet HHR 2006 Chevrolet HHR 2007 Chevrolet HHR 2008 Chevrolet HHR 2009 Chevrolet HHR 2010 Chevrolet HHR 2011 Pontiac G5 2007 Pontiac G5 2008 Pontiac G5 2009 Pontiac G5 2010 Pontiac Pursuit 2005 Pontiac Pursuit 2006
Detailsmoog-k80567 | Front Lower Ball Joint | Chevrolet HHR | MOOG-K80566

with performance and handling suspension (FE5)
with sport suspension (FE3)
Will not fit HHR SS models

The discrepancy between "fits FE5" and "Will not fit HHR SS models" is because the Cobalts had 2 versions of FE5. This ball joint is for the Cobalt FE5 except SS Turbocharged. Both Cobalt and HHR turbocharged used a balljoint with a larger stud that fits into the steering knuckle.

Using this ball joint(with the smaller stud) creates an unsafe condition. The pinch bolt cannot fully tighten on the stud. Cranking down on the pinch bolt to get it tight will crack the steering knuckle.
Interesting. Don't know what to tell ya. They came in a Moog box, from a Moog authorized distributor. I put them in, they fit, they work without any issues, and they took my alignment specs. I checked the gaps and they're not pinched (No surprise, i didn't remember there being any issue when I torqued them). 3 years and 20k miles of driving, mostly on Michigan Moonscape roads (Pontiac is THE WORST!) and never an issue. Who knows, maybe I had knuckles with small holes and ball joints with larger studs in terms of the tolerances. I can't explain it other than to say everything is working fine. Moog is a Tier One supplier to virtually every domestic OEM, they're not some unknown company making cheap Chinese knockoffs. I'm sure Moog makes plenty of parts that carry GM or AC Delco branding. Anything that's no longer used in production is outsourced after the initial inventory is used up. For some of the crate engines we would buy a bunch just before they stopped production so we'd have inventory to sell for the future. We'd project demand and store what we needed. All of the older 1st gen/SBC "legacy" crate engines are outsourced and built up from components now. They're actually much better than what you'd get from production back in the day. Whatever the situation, if they haven't failed by now they never will. I sure as heck wouldn't be flying up mountain roads in the Poconos if I had the slightest concern about their functionality or safety. I don't work that way. They'll just wear out normally, someday. Until then, whomever buys it will have lots of fun driving it.

Quick Reply: The SS for sale, so discussion