The Lounge Off Topic PG-13.
Warning: The Lounge may contain irrelevant and off topic discussions that may not be related to anything HHR. If you are not interested in these kinds of discussions, do not read or respond to these threads.

Thoughts on GM future

Search this Thread

Old 04-02-2009, 04:05 PM

Thoughts on GM future

I was just curious what others thought about the ceo change, and what are thoughts of the future of GM.

was going to buy a truck but not sure if i want to go GM, i can get GM employee and Ford employee.
Old 04-02-2009, 04:14 PM
Founding Member

Obama says he (which means we the tax payers) will make good on any domestic vehicle warranty purchased starting 3/30/2009. Why worry just buy.

General Motors Corporation March 30, 2009

New Vehicle Warranty Commitment Program GM remains committed to our 3 Year/36,000 or 4 Year/50,000* mile new vehicle Bumper to Bumper limited warranty, as well as our industry exclusive 5 year/100,000** mile, fully transferable powertrain limited warranty with no fees or deductibles. Now, as announced on March 30, 2009, the U.S. Treasury Department is providing an important back-stop to our coverage. Specifically, the U.S. Treasury Department has introduced an innovative new program to give consumers who are considering purchasing a new GM vehicle the confidence their warranty will be protected. As announced by President Obama on March 30, the Administration is confident that GM will emerge as a stronger, more competitive company, and is committed to working with us to make this happen. This important announcement means your warranty is safe – PERIOD. What does the program mean for consumers?

 If you buy or lease a new GM vehicle during our restructuring period you will be eligible for the warranty protection.
 You do not have to do anything to participate in the government’s warranty back-stop program. It is automatic.
 The U.S. Treasury will work with GM to implement its program to safeguard your warranty.

*Buick, Cadillac, Hummer, Saab **Saab Powertrain Limited Warranty 4/50,000 miles
Old 04-03-2009, 05:57 AM

I think that people in the US and Canada will always buy Chevrolets and Cadillacs.
People in Red China will always buy Buicks.

GM could evolve into:
Chevrolet and Cadillac cars built in North America
GMC trucks built in North America
Buicks built in Red China, with some imported to US.

Opel, Vauxhall, Holden- ???

Last edited by trfindley; 04-03-2009 at 06:13 AM. Reason: spelling
Old 04-03-2009, 06:04 AM

I'm thinking I should probably cash out on the few dollars I have left in GM stock....
Old 04-03-2009, 07:11 AM

Originally Posted by ChevyMgr
This important announcement means your warranty is safe – PERIOD. What does the program mean for consumers?
And those of us who already own vehicles under warranty may not fare so well.

http://www.foxnews.com/politics/firs...-plan-emerges/

But Uncle Sam won't stand by warranties held by current vehicle owners or safety recalls, which can occur years after the warranty expires. That would leave uncovered about 10 million to 15 million GM and Chrysler vehicles bought in the past couple years, said Clarence Ditlow, executive director of the Center for Auto Safety.
Old 04-03-2009, 07:35 AM

Originally Posted by 08HHRPA
And those of us who already own vehicles under warranty may not fare so well.

http://www.foxnews.com/politics/firs...-plan-emerges/
foxnews/politics ?
I won't even waste my time.
Old 04-03-2009, 07:36 AM

Originally Posted by CrazyCarKid
I'm thinking I should probably cash out on the few dollars I have left in GM stock....
I'll give you fifty cents a share cash on the barrel.
Old 04-03-2009, 09:26 AM

Originally Posted by Jeff®
foxnews/politics ?
I won't even waste my time.
They provided names of the interviewees. Easy enough to verify. Provide a link that debunks the story, then.

I don't buy everything they report, either. That's the beauty of teh intarwebz. Opinions are all across the spectrum.
Old 04-03-2009, 11:08 AM

Some form of GM will exist when all is said and done. Chevy and Cadillac, being the core, and profitable part, will be at the center. Caddy obviously would focus on the luxury segment, Chevy, good quality cars for the masses. GM should have trimmed down to this level years ago...

Buick may survive also but I doubt it. Pontiac will probably be dropped, as well as GMC & Saturn. Personally I think Pontiac could be run as a performance subsidiary of GM only making specialty/niche market type vehicles. I can also see Saturn being bought up and ran as a separate company. That Tennessee plant is just sitting there waiting. The rest will be history.
Old 04-03-2009, 12:07 PM

Originally Posted by 08HHRPA
They provided names of the interviewees. Easy enough to verify. Provide a link that debunks the story, then.

I don't buy everything they report, either. That's the beauty of teh intarwebz. Opinions are all across the spectrum.

Quick Reply: Thoughts on GM future