The Lounge Off Topic PG-13.
Warning: The Lounge may contain irrelevant and off topic discussions that may not be related to anything HHR. If you are not interested in these kinds of discussions, do not read or respond to these threads.

Unfortunate accident

Old 01-22-2017, 03:43 PM

Unfortunate accident

Hey forum,

It has been a while since I have been on here due to lack of personal time. I have been busy out of my mind.
On top of everything I am working on, I unfortunately got into a minor accident a couple nights ago. Friday Evening It was raining and the car in front of me applied their brakes pretty quickly. I was not ready for it and slammed on my brakes. My ABS kicked in but the tires could not get a grip on the wet asphalt, causing them to skip and slide into the car in front of me.

I need a new Radiator and Grille, the bottom bumper needs repaired and I am waiting to see if the adjuster will tell me what will happen with the hood.
(I did not have a bolt connected from the grille to the hood where the hood got the worst of it due to losing one when switching grilles. That may be a factor as to why the hood got the most of it towards the right).

The car I slid into had no damage to the car other than a shallow dent the size of a dime on the metal plate that runs along the top of the bumper where the hatch closes. He was in a Nissan Murano which is an SUV and as you can see by the scratches ontop my bumper, it went under his. My grille and hood hit the center of his bumper. I personally don't think I caused the dent because my grille and hood is all pushed the same way, there is nothing sticking out to clip the metal cover on the top of his bumper but I was the one at fault so I guess either way I have to own up to it.

This was my first accident and I am glad nobody was injured. I hope to have more time so I can get back in touch here.

Christopher
Attached Thumbnails Unfortunate accident-imag2999%5B1%5D.jpg   Unfortunate accident-imag2998%5B1%5D.jpg   Unfortunate accident-imag3001%5B1%5D.jpg   Unfortunate accident-imag3000%5B1%5D.jpg  
Old 01-22-2017, 03:55 PM
Platinum Member

Sorry to hear about the accident.

It's going to need a new hood. The pictures show it to be bowed and warped. Would cost more to try and straighten it than getting a replacement.
And honestly, I don't think that missing grille bolt really made much difference as far as the damage is concerned.
Old 01-22-2017, 04:12 PM

Originally Posted by firemangeorge
Sorry to hear about the accident.

It's going to need a new hood. The pictures show it to be bowed and warped. Would cost more to try and straighten it than getting a replacement.
And honestly, I don't think that missing grille bolt really made much difference as far as the damage is concerned.
Hey Firemangeorge,

Thanks for the response. Ok I guess that makes sense. As far as the bolt goes, I was just curious about that part since the other parts of the grille didnt seem as bad.
I do have a question though. When I bought the car, It had the Satin Grey grille on it. I put the chrome one on as I was not a fan of the satin finish. Isn't the satin colored grille for the LS models and the chrome grille on the LT models? I have the LT model so I was wondering if maybe the car got in a fender bender in the past and got an LS grille put on. Unless I am wrong regarding the finish of the grille.
Old 01-22-2017, 04:39 PM

Originally Posted by HHR 2.0
Hey Firemangeorge,

Thanks for the response. Ok I guess that makes sense. As far as the bolt goes, I was just curious about that part since the other parts of the grille didnt seem as bad.
I do have a question though. When I bought the car, It had the Satin Grey grille on it. I put the chrome one on as I was not a fan of the satin finish. Isn't the satin colored grille for the LS models and the chrome grille on the LT models? I have the LT model so I was wondering if maybe the car got in a fender bender in the past and got an LS grille put on. Unless I am wrong regarding the finish of the grille.
Glad no one was hurt!

My 2009 LT1 came with the "satin" style grille.
I couldn't wait to change that out for the glossy black one I have now.
Old 01-22-2017, 04:43 PM
Platinum Member

Good question about grille color. I'm not sure. Someone else may need to answer that.
Fwiw. I always thought you had to have the bright chrome appearance option to get the shiny grille on a LT.
Old 01-22-2017, 06:06 PM
Technical Moderator

I have never figured out the chrome situation.

Need a radiator? Not condenser?

I don't think the price difference in the grilles is enough for the adjuster to argue about.

If the car in front stopped for no reason it is their fault, not yours. I have had that situation 2-3 times. Were you cited?
Old 01-22-2017, 08:21 PM

Originally Posted by Casa Del Gatos
Glad no one was hurt!

My 2009 LT1 came with the "satin" style grille.
I couldn't wait to change that out for the glossy black one I have now.
The satin finish is plain ugly in my opinion. Just not my taste. Which car is yours in your pictures? I saw quite a few different HHRS. I would like to see your black grille.
Old 01-22-2017, 08:24 PM

Originally Posted by firemangeorge
Good question about grille color. I'm not sure. Someone else may need to answer that.
Fwiw. I always thought you had to have the bright chrome appearance option to get the shiny grille on a LT.
You could be right. Most HHR's in my area have the Satin finish one so there is no one to ask. Since my HHR has multiple chrome accents throughout the car I am hoping I can talk with them about getting the right grille.
Old 01-22-2017, 08:27 PM

Originally Posted by donbrew
I have never figured out the chrome situation.

Need a radiator? Not condenser?

I don't think the price difference in the grilles is enough for the adjuster to argue about.

If the car in front stopped for no reason it is their fault, not yours. I have had that situation 2-3 times. Were you cited?
I believe it is the Radiator. I will have to take a picture tomorrow and compare. Ok sounds good.
Old 01-22-2017, 09:23 PM

Originally Posted by HHR 2.0
The satin finish is plain ugly in my opinion. Just not my taste. Which car is yours in your pictures? I saw quite a few different HHRS. I would like to see your black grille.
I agree, stock grille was fugly.
Here is mine (<$60 on eBay):

I like it and the black-bezeled Depo headlights are going to really go with it.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Unfortunate accident