The Lounge Off Topic PG-13.
Warning: The Lounge may contain irrelevant and off topic discussions that may not be related to anything HHR. If you are not interested in these kinds of discussions, do not read or respond to these threads.

Veterinary bills

Search this Thread

Old 10-14-2006, 06:56 PM
Founding Member

Veterinary bills

What have you spent to keep your pet(s) healthy?
Is pet insurance worth it?
Is your pet chipped?
At what point do you/would you/have you drawn the line of expenses?
What are your experiences having to take a pet to the vet?

I feel that I am a very responsible pet owner. All my dogs have current shots, are chipped and have their county tags.

Originally Posted by SindyDix
What little I had left just went for Veterinary bills.
Originally Posted by karen1953
I hope all is alright.
Thanks Karen, all is well.
This latest trip to the vet was only $326 plus a trip the the PetSmart for a kennel/carrier to the tune of another $100 plus. Tell Mongo, a big dog, he has to rest for 3 weeks, (doctors orders) yeah right.....

My prevous trip was for Momma Dog to the tune of about $820.
Vet visit on a weekend to an emergency animal hospital was $900 a few years ago for a dog, named Kitty, after she was mauled by another dog I had at the time. I dident hesitate to put down the dog that attacked her. I was thankfull it wasent a child that the dog had attacked. It was a hard desission but I felt if the dog did it once, it would do it again.
Old 10-14-2006, 07:16 PM

We spent over $2000 for one of our pets (read here family!). She had cancer. That was over 2 years ago, she is very healthy now and we do not regret it one bit!
Old 10-14-2006, 07:44 PM

Well Sabrina and i had a lil male ****er spaniel he was aour best bud!! (almost like a child to us) he was always there for us!! he knew when things werent right between her and I and would jump back and forth between us lickin our faces till we were both laughin!! He loved everyone (accept the mail man) must be a dog thing!!?? any way we spent alot on eye surgery (ingrown eyelash) and sist removal and ear infections hair cuts etc... then when he turned 13 human yrs he started to get lumps all over and we took him to the vet several times because he wouldnt eat and just didnt seem well ! they said at his age they could remove the tumors but it would most likley kill him so we oppted to make is last few months as comfy as possible and when he sarted to get worse we would have him put down to avoid him being in pain!! so after a while my wife had to be coaxed into it and i finally convinced her it was best for him!!! So i carried him to the car and the wife drove and he LOVED to go BY BY so he was lookin out the windows and loked like he was happy then he went over and licked my wife on the cheek and sat back on my lap and licked my chin layed his head on my chest and passed away!!! It still brings a tear to my eyes to sit here and type that!! he was our best friend to the very end and we would have spent anything for him!! but you cant buy back youth!!!
Old 10-14-2006, 07:50 PM

Sindy,
We have spent a bunch of money, I have no idea how much, on our pets We dont regret it a bit . Like Mike , we consider our pets as part of our family also . We spent $ 1000 on our cat and I dont particularly like cats but my wife and daughter do, so it was worth it.My wife and I would mortgage the house for our dogs . A lot of people would think that would be stupi to do but the dogs are like our kids I have their picture in the gallery .We have had Dylan for 14 years and he has given us so much wonderful companionship that we would do anything for him . I f the vet said there was no hope and The dog was suffering , of course we would have to him down but if there was any hope we would try. So Sindy , there are alot of people like you that love there pets. It shows that you have a good heart.
We dont have pet insurance , but we have talked about it. I suppose it would be worth it , but like most insurance , I hate paying for it until I need it , then It is worth every penny We paid,
Old 10-14-2006, 07:58 PM

Oldschool ,
That was a very touching story. I am sorry for your loss .Have you gotten another dog yet?
Old 10-14-2006, 08:07 PM
Founding Member

Brought tears to my eyes too.
Old 10-14-2006, 08:09 PM

yes the wife wouldnt hear of it for about a year but now we have to CRACKHEAD Jack russells and they are crazy FUN!!!! named Bonnie and Clyde and do the names fit!!!!!! always into mischief!! LOL
Old 10-14-2006, 08:10 PM

Originally Posted by oldschoolfreak
Well Sabrina and i had a lil male ****er spaniel
What kinda dog is that just kidding

Anyway I would have to agree we would probally do just about anything for are two dogs. Even if at time they seem like a pain in the @$$.
They were both rescue dogs. When they where only days old someone took a knife to them. They are healthy now and are going on four years old.
Even if they are the "family dogs" they are mine at least thats what everyone say's.
I think in the pets thread I posted pics of them. But they are part lab and part corgy (sp). So Labs with short little legs
Old 10-14-2006, 08:36 PM
Platinum Member

Your posting is very ironic, Sindy....

Wife just, today, brought her dog home from the animal hospital. Had to have surgery to remove an intestinal blockage, which turned out to be a peach pit he swallowed 16 months ago (the pit was stagnant in the stomach, but finally moved into the intestine and wedged). Cost = almost $2400.

Would we do it again....you bet. He's my buddy and my wifes sweety. Since we are an "empty nest", he's kind of the companion when my wife or I do something. If you're on the floor doing something, THAT is his territory, and he needs to have some say-so.

Not counting the "normal" costs of a dog, she now has about $4500 in surgery bills (he was born with a liver problem, the vet after running up the bill, said she needs to do surgery. Turned out the dog didn't need the surgery (vet admitted to it), and we changed vet.'s.

This dog replaced another that we had to have "put down" several years ago. That has to be the hardest thing to do, after having a faithful pet for 15 years. But, when that time comes, you will know and just do it. Its better for all concerned.

Best of luck to you, Sindy.
Old 10-14-2006, 09:06 PM

as mush as i love pets too....

they arent family, like a child....
they are animals...
i dont mean to be harsh but thats reality even tho these pets are "domesticated"

i dont mean to hijack the thread this way, or mean any disrespect, and i feel sorry for those who lose pets or have ones that are sick, cuz i too have lost some pets thru illness or cars, or snake bites..but to spend ovr 1K for healthcare? i dont see it, i think euthanising them is a good option as well, cuz what if then YOU needed the 1K for something of importance?

thats just my opinion, i could be wrong

Quick Reply: Veterinary bills