The Lounge Off Topic PG-13.
Warning: The Lounge may contain irrelevant and off topic discussions that may not be related to anything HHR. If you are not interested in these kinds of discussions, do not read or respond to these threads.

What Are Your Holiday Plans?

Search this Thread

Old 11-27-2006, 09:28 AM

Talking What Are Your Holiday Plans?

With the holiday season upon us, I thought it might be fun to hear what people will be doing this year. Will you be traveling to visit friends or family or just hanging around the house enjoying the company of loved ones? Any plans made for bringing in the new year?

I generally spend the holidays with various members of my family. I get together with my 2 daughters and my 6 grandchildren and we spend time talking about years gone by and what their kids are doing. I do see them a great deal during the year anyway, but it's fun when we're all together laughing and having a great time.

I also spend some of this time with Henry's family as well. He's got 3 great brothers and they love to get together and have a huge feast (2 of the 3 are awesome cooks too). We do see them from time to time, but not nearly as much as we would like due to every day obligations and such.

On New Years, we always stay home...I call it Amateur Night. Cops are out in full force, so why risk being involved in an accident with someone who imbibes a bit much. We usually just hang out and enjoy one another and watch all the festivities on the boob tube and wait for all the fireworks at midnight.
Old 11-27-2006, 09:35 AM

Well, m'dear - here it goes:
My parents are thinking of coming over to AZ for Christmas. I have two kids, and they want to come by and hang out with them for a few days. It'll be cool if they do, because that means I won't have to drive to Texas for a while to visit them - kids don't like travelling! Also, they might bring my niece with them to help them drive - dad can't hear or see as well as he used to, and he could use the help, seeing as Mom doesn't drive.
If they do decided to come over, I'll take some time off - I've got a TON of vacation saved up, and need to use it soon! Other than that, I will enjoy my kids and help my son put together all the cool stuff we're giving him. He's 4 years old and I think this will be the Christmas he enjoys the most so far.
Oh yeah - we're also going to a cool parade they have here in Phoenix - it's held at night and all entrants (vehicles and people) are lit up throughout the whole route. It will be fun - basically, ever since we've had kids, the holidays have totally become about them, and we're fine with it!
Old 11-27-2006, 09:53 AM

To work as usual.
People don't stop for the Hoildays.
I mean some need to go and be at Peace.
Old 11-27-2006, 09:59 AM

I hear where you're coming from...in my mind, it's all about the kids. My grandchildren range in age from 11 years old down to 9 months old, with 4 being boys and 2 being girls. It's such a thrill to watch their excitement at holidays and get togethers, seeing the gleam in their eyes as they open their gifts.

Unfortunately, both Henry and I have lost our folks...with my mother being the last to pass, just over a year ago. They all loved this time of year, so we try and continue those traditions with our families as well.
Old 11-27-2006, 10:06 AM

Deb,
What I ment was in my line of work, people do not stop.
Death is sometimes a wonderful thing. It stops the pain,
pain for the one that is having it and the pain of the Loved ones left here.
I look at my job with a lot of caring, compassion, knowledge, and helping.
Caring for the ones that are in pain, both living and the dying.
Compassion for the same, and for the dying how brave they are to make this there finial time.
Knowledge of what is to come and how to react to all left alone.
Helping not to let all pass with out knowing that they are loved and will be missed. As well as the ones left behind.
To me this is a gift that I try to give every day I work.
Old 11-27-2006, 10:21 AM

Karen...sorry our posts seemed to cross...it wasn't there when I typed my last response. I truly appreciate the type of work that people like you do Karen and it's a non-stop and very emotional line of work.

My folks both passed at home just before Thanksgiving in 2003 and 2005, with the assistance of Home Hospice nurses and they were wonderful people. They kept my folks comfortable and were a blessing to my entire family. I personally cannot praise those who do this type of work, as they are a very essential part of what we will all endure at some point in our lives. Thank you for your dedication to helping make that whole experience a little easier to cope with.
Old 11-27-2006, 10:23 AM

Thanks
Old 11-27-2006, 12:11 PM

My plans for the Holidays is to spend all my off time from work with my family.
This will be the first time in 10 years that I will be off from work, so I have alot to make up. I got a couple of new toys for OH-SKOOl but I made a deal with my wife not to spend time on the car and spend more time with the kids over the Holidays (family first). OH-SKOOL has to wait unitl after the New Year. Then I will hook him up and post pic's!
Old 11-27-2006, 02:30 PM

Pretty much the same as last year. We will go to service Christmas Eve to celebrate the birth of Christ. Then stay up all night putting things together. My daughter is three this season. She is at that age to where if you don't start teacing them right now, then spoiled little brats they become.
Old 11-27-2006, 02:43 PM

The last two years me and my wife have been away from home for the bulk of the holiday period, only really spending Christmas Eve at home. Two years ago we went to Arizona for our wedding. Last year we took a longer honeymoon at Walt Disney World for our anniversary.

This year looks like it'll be a quiet holiday at home. Pretty much our first one in this house, since I used my vacation time during the summer. My wife, the lucky duck she is, gets about ten days or so off from work. :P

Quick Reply: What Are Your Holiday Plans?