The Lounge Off Topic PG-13.
Warning: The Lounge may contain irrelevant and off topic discussions that may not be related to anything HHR. If you are not interested in these kinds of discussions, do not read or respond to these threads.

Why and Where???

Search this Thread

Old 09-17-2010, 09:00 AM

Question Why and Where???

Some things I hate to think about in my old age:

Where have all the mid-sized /full sized coups gone? No impala, monte carlo, malibu, etc. Why?

Why does GM insist on putting the SS badge on everything it has in the chevy line except the aveo? Next we will have an SS motorcycle!

Why does putting tthe SS badge on a car raise its price by 20--50%?

How does GM go from a 22K camaro to a 38K camaro by just calling it an SS and dropping a V8 under the hood?

How does GM justify the Cruze at a 19--23K range when the car it replaced had a 12--15K range----and where the hec is the coup!!

I am an old "geezer" who bought an HHR because it was the sportiest 4 door I could find! It is a great vehicle but alas---I yearn for the days of old----when every car had 4 or 2 doors AND you could special order anything w/o having "packages" shoved down your throat!

These are just some of the problems in life I cannot seem to solve! I guess old-age does that to us!

Peace to you all!
Old 09-17-2010, 09:03 AM

Old 09-17-2010, 10:27 AM

Agreed. Loved the early-mid 90's Thunderbird's (had 2 SuperCoupe's!). Was a cool car.
Old 09-17-2010, 11:53 AM

Where have all the mid-sized /full sized coups gone? No impala, monte carlo, malibu, etc. Why?
Look to Europe or Japan.

Why does GM insist on putting the SS badge on everything it has in the chevy line except the aveo? Next we will have an SS motorcycle!
I don't think that they do... at least it isn't just a badge anymore. THey actually pair it with performance.

Why does putting tthe SS badge on a car raise its price by 20--50%?

How does GM go from a 22K camaro to a 38K camaro by just calling it an SS and dropping a V8 under the hood?
Well, let's take the HHR....

High performance, turbo-charged, direct-injection engine producing 130 hp/L;
Better suspension and handling;
Fancy electronics for features like launch control;
LImited slip diff;
etc, etc

THat stuff ain't free!!

You think the performance model should be the same price as the base model? I wish too!!

Here's something interesting from your days.....

http://www.firstgencamaro.com/zl1.html

Performance had its price - $4,160us for the ZL1 engine alone pushing the price of the Camaro ZL1 to an unbelieveable $7,200 (about double the price of a SS Super Sport 396cid
Camaro).
There you have it.... the more things change, the more they stay the same!!

How does GM justify the Cruze at a 19--23K range when the car it replaced had a 12--15K range----and where the hec is the coup!!
Are you talking about the Aveo? I don't think that the two cars are even comparable if you look at the specs...

I am an old "geezer" who bought an HHR because it was the sportiest 4 door I could find!
you're going to have to define "sporty"! I know of many, many 4-door cars (not to mention the SS) that are more sporty than a hhr!!

...you could special order anything w/o having "packages" shoved down your throat!
I agree about the packages.... but look at the choice consumers have now!!! It's astounding compared to the "old days".
Old 09-17-2010, 12:09 PM

Sporty can mean a lot of things to a lot of different people. If I was looking for a "sporty" 4 door, I'd have to consider:

WRX
used Mazdaspeed6
Mazdaspeed3
TSX (to an extent)
GLI Jetta
SRT4 (Neon or Calibur)
Sentra SE-R spec V
Maxima?
used TL?

Depends on if you want new, used, price range...and what you consider sporty. JMO
Old 09-17-2010, 01:13 PM

Originally Posted by spotty
Some things I hate to think about in my old age:

Well, for one almost no one bought them. Chalk it up to consumer preferences dictating that.

The Cobalt was a marginally competative car that they could only sell by massively discounting it (SS excepted as it was a good car). The Cruze is class competative or class leading in handling, ride, noise, interior quality etc. That means they can ask for (and will get) more money for the car.
Old 09-17-2010, 03:30 PM

Originally Posted by JoeSchmoe
Are you talking about the Aveo? I don't think that the two cars are even comparable if you look at the specs...

I agree about the packages.... but look at the choice consumers have now!!! It's astounding compared to the "old days".
I think he's talking about the Cobalt...since they still make the Aveo. The Cruze replaces the Cobalt.

And you think people didn't have many choices?

"Inside the 1957 Chevrolet was all new. Twenty three new seat and door trim color combinations,"

"Solid Colors For The 1957 Chevrolets

* Onyx Black
* Inca Silver
* Imperial Ivory
* Matador Red
* Harbor Blue
* Larkspur Blue
* Tropical Turquoise
* Surf Green

* Highland Green
* Colonial Cream
* Coronado Yellow
* Canyon Coral
* Sierra Gold
* Adobe Beige
* Dusk Pearl
* Laurel Green

1957 Chevrolet Two-Tone Combinations

* Onyx Black / India Ivory
* Imperial Ivory / Inca Silver
* Larkspur Blue / Harbor Blue
* India Ivory / Larkspur Blue
* India Ivory / Twilight Turquoise
* Surf Green / Highland Green
* India Ivory / Surf Green
* India Ivory / Coronado Yellow

# Onyx Black / Colonial Cream
# India Ivory / Colonial Cream
# India Ivory / Canyon Coral
# Adobe Beige / Sierra Gold
# India Ivory / Matador Red
# Colonial Cream / Laurel Green
# Imperial Ivory / Dusk Pearl"

No...not much to pick from....
Old 09-17-2010, 06:17 PM
jx3

Why does GM insist on putting the SS badge on everything it has in the chevy line except the aveo?
I believe that too is in the works.
Old 09-17-2010, 06:29 PM

I think he's talking about the Cobalt...since they still make the Aveo. The Cruze replaces the Cobalt.
Oh..... thanks. The Cobolt starts @ $15K, not 12.

And you think people didn't have many choices?
I wasn't talking about options on cars, but the sheer numbers of makes/models to choose from!
Old 09-17-2010, 07:23 PM

Originally Posted by SmootHHR
Agreed. Loved the early-mid 90's Thunderbird's (had 2 SuperCoupe's!). Was a cool car.
Had an '84 T-Bird Turbo with a 2.3. Ran great (small amount of oil leaked past the valves after a long run and you started it the next day there was minor smoke) but the car lasted 192,000 with the original turbo & motor although went through some clutches... Ran 50's as tires and when I launched the rear there was tire hop (quad shocks in rear) the back window would break it's seal from the body of the car. Lucky for me silicon was cheap and the rear window had a metal frame holding it down from flying off. Wasn't a bad car and fun to drive.