Maintenance and Upkeep Discussion HHR maintenance tips ranging from oil change intervals to brake pads and everything in between.

2009 hhr

Search this Thread

Old 09-17-2018, 01:10 PM

Talking 2009 hhr

Hello,
I have a 2009 HHR, we had a rattle in the front end, and it sounded like an airplane taking off when we would drive so started getting the front end worked on, we had the wheel hub's bearings replaced this took care of the airplane noise, the sway bar bushings upper and lower have been replaced, now we have a squeal when the steering wheel is turned, I'm thinking inner ti rod end, hubby's not so sure so why I'm here asking what y'all think??
Old 09-17-2018, 01:27 PM

and the control arms were replaced
Old 09-17-2018, 02:57 PM
Platinum Member

So where is the squeak heard from ? Inside the car or can you hear it when standing outside ?
If inside: Lower end of the steering column has a small "u-joint" in it. Could be where the squeak is from. A little squirt of lube may quiet it down for a while.
If outside: Could be just about any part of the suspension that rotates with steering. Strut bearings would be where I'd look 1st.
Old 09-17-2018, 04:09 PM

It's coming from outside, he looked at the tie rod end boots and says it looks fine no cracks or rips.. and it doesn't make any sound when the car is parked just when going around corners, to us sounds more like a friction squeak so wondering if it needs grease

we have been driving it about 6 years now, and the front end issues have been the first thins we have had to have worked on
Old 09-17-2018, 04:42 PM
Platinum Member

Hmm. Brake pads maybe ?
Simple test. Going around the corner, when it starts squeaking, step lightly on the brakes. If it stops the noise, then you've got brake pad issues. Either worn out or loose pads in the calipers.
Old 09-17-2018, 05:21 PM

He doesn't think so since the sound stays the same weather he presses the brake or not, he drives more then I do cause he takes it to work I noticed the sound when I went some ware with him on Saturday, He's like yeah it's been doing that all week and asked me to look it up so here I am :)
we had the pads and rotters replaced at the same time they did the wheel hub assemblies, also the manic told him at the time that he might need to grease the tie rod ends and showed him ware to put it in, so hes thinking that's what it is since he never did it and needs to buy a geese gun, and sites are saying that's a possibility
Old 09-17-2018, 06:02 PM
Technical Moderator

Has anybody actually looked at the disk pads? They have wear indicators that squeal when you are out of friction material; even when not applied.
Old 09-17-2018, 10:11 PM
Platinum Member

I've told you other things to check but you keep saying no, it must be the tie rods. If that's the only thing you think it could be then just shoot some grease in there and see if it fixes the squeak. (Doubt it will)
FYI. Tie rod ends turn(rotate) very little when the steering is turned. The chances of them producing a squeak like you described are very slim.
Old 09-18-2018, 07:28 AM

Intermediate steering shaft, pinion rack, strut mount bearing. You can keep throwing parts, or get a mechanic to fing the problem.
Old 09-25-2018, 10:42 AM

In my experience with automobiles with front McPherson struts, the upper strut bearing is the culprit.