Chevy HHR Network

Chevy HHR Network (https://www.chevyhhr.net/forums/)
-   Maintenance and Upkeep (https://www.chevyhhr.net/forums/maintenance-upkeep-50/)
-   -   Buying an HHR question on miles (https://www.chevyhhr.net/forums/maintenance-upkeep-50/buying-hhr-question-miles-60548/)

Hot Bite 07-06-2018 12:01 PM

Buying an HHR question on miles

if you finally found a nice hhr say a 2007 with 160000 miles. Would you stay away and look for a lesser miles vehicle. The only thing that scares me to do is the timing chain. Everything else I can tackle with fair amount of ease (suspension and brakes). I have been seeing a lot of them with 200 to 300 thousand miles but they don't say if the chain has been replaced.

DrLoch 07-06-2018 12:13 PM

Based on your location you have consider rust as well. i.e. brake lines fuel lines etc.

Silverfox 07-06-2018 12:54 PM

You might want to have a look on CarGurus.com to see if you can find a good one.

Paying a bit to go get it may be worth the cost and time.

Just be sure to do your research before making the trip.

I have purchase 4 HHR's on CarGurus and only one was Rusted and that was my fault for not having enough awareness about the location of purchase. (Ohio)

Rust and Mileage are 2 big challenges. Get quality Pictures of the Rear undercarriage ... don't just take some ones word.

My last 3 were purchased from Chevrolet Dealers as Trade in's and 3 of the 4 had the service records to give me.

Do a Auto Check for sure.

If you can afford to move up to a 2011 you will have all the Factory updates that were put on the HHR's over time.

Silverfox

Hot Bite 07-06-2018 03:06 PM

Good stuff guys

I am beginning to think that I need to hold out for a newer one. The only decent one I have looked at was a 2010 with 300,000 miles. Not all are rusted but a lot are all banged up. Besides an 09 with 30,000 miles that had the hood redone, but he is asking 7900 or best ( and the collision work is not even that good)

Blue_SS 07-06-2018 03:25 PM

My old one can be had for $1000. SS motor is kaput, but everything else is OK. Dealer told me they will sell it out from under the part-out guy who lost the title (and voided deal)

Brighton area.

Hot Bite 07-06-2018 08:21 PM

I may need to save some more money up and get a nice one. My original intent was to get something fuel efficient to keep miles off my truck. Anything nice around here deserves not to be driven in the winter. I am kind of falling in love with these things. I may need to get one and just drive it in the summer. Not quite sure. I am going to keep looking and learning.

Ohiocruiser 07-10-2018 10:57 AM

If you want a nice one, start planning for trip to south states. Won't have to deal with rust. I flew from Ohio to Georgia to get mine. Not a spec of rust. Obviously I am doing a lot to keep it that way.

fastsuv 07-10-2018 11:37 AM

Yes, go south.

Orlando and Tampa seem to have lots of HHRs on craigslist.

Last year I flew down to Orlando with a few kids and we drove back a 2006 Pontiac Montana minivan ($2800) and a 2006 HHR 1LT with leather seats and sunroof, spring edition, 154K miles, ($3000).

Both were bought at small used car dealers. Not a speck of rust on either one anywhere. Headlights will probably be faded and yellowed, I bought new headlight assemblies from Rock Auto for $50 a side. I will never buy a used car from the North again.

You can probably buy a rust-free 2006 HHR LS with about 160K miles for less than $2000.

Steve

Hot Bite 07-10-2018 05:47 PM

you guys are not kidding. I just looked on Orlando......there is a ton of nice ones. cheap compared to Detroit

sleeper 07-10-2018 08:11 PM

Originally Posted by fastsuv (Post 847733)
Yes, go south.
I will never buy a used car from the North again.
Steve

That's it, the South is the location.