Maintenance and Upkeep Discussion HHR maintenance tips ranging from oil change intervals to brake pads and everything in between.

Car show tips

Search this Thread

Old 08-07-2011, 06:21 PM

Originally Posted by 08bowtie
like a few here i have a show winning pontiac ws6 in my garage and judged a few in my day as well - my tips added to the ones already mentioned:

leave the judge alone unless he is to ask you something
open your ashtray if you have one and make sure its clean
open you your glove box with only the owners manual in there
clean the INSIDE of your wheels
if you have t-tops prop them open and make sure the jambs are clean - i use
fancy pencils with the erasers cut off for props

until i learned i have lost points neglecting these areas and have deducted points from others
Might note many of your tips are great but make sure they are good for the show you attend.

The manual in the glove box and open may help at a POCI meet but many others they really don't car.

The Pontiac show today I was at wanted the T tops in and not proped open. Having them as you stated may work at some shows but the one I was at today it would have hurt.

Now the clean inside the wheels it a big one. I see so many of these new open wheels with painted caliper but they leave the wheels dirty. I even clean my HHR SS wheel inside and it is my daily driver.

When I started showing I collected judging forms and learned what they looked at at many shows. I use them as check list when I go back. This give me an edge in working on areas they want ti judge.
Old 08-07-2011, 08:07 PM

Originally Posted by hyperv6
Might note many of your tips are great but make sure they are good for the show you attend.

The manual in the glove box and open may help at a POCI meet but many others they really don't car.

The Pontiac show today I was at wanted the T tops in and not proped open. Having them as you stated may work at some shows but the one I was at today it would have hurt.

Now the clean inside the wheels it a big one. I see so many of these new open wheels with painted caliper but they leave the wheels dirty. I even clean my HHR SS wheel inside and it is my daily driver.

When I started showing I collected judging forms and learned what they looked at at many shows. I use them as check list when I go back. This give me an edge in working on areas they want ti judge.
Excellent info on the Glovebox and Manual. I too clean the inside of the wheels on my SS too as mine is a daily driver also.
Old 08-07-2011, 10:00 PM

shows

Yeah and here's one:

Clean the junk out of the interior for heaven's sake! What's up with all the towels or toys or coffee mugs in the car?

If you have to drag that junk, hide it in the trunk or in some container that you can remove easily. Looks like a kid's messy room to me, surely it does to a judge as well.

QR
Old 08-08-2011, 06:24 AM

re

hyper - my T/A has been in the Year One sponsered F-Body gathering in Atlanta for 8 times over the last 11 years - and you may be right about certain shows not caring about the trivial stuff like that but i can tell you at that show if you register you better take those those tips or you'll leave with just a goodie bag
Old 08-08-2011, 07:53 AM

hyper - my T/A has been in the Year One sponsered F-Body gathering in Atlanta for 8 times over the last 11 years - and you may be right about certain shows not caring about the trivial stuff like that but i can tell you at that show if you register you better take those those tips or you'll leave with just a goodie bag
Like I said this may hold true to some shows like your Year One deal or even an POCI event. But on the other hand Show like the Pontiac Tri Power weekend the largest gathering of Pontiacs in the world it is not required. That is why I say you just need to know what each show requires.

I have 5 straight class wins and last year I won a Top 5 out of 550+ show and Pontiacs 500+ Race Pontiacs at the Tri Power show and I did not need a owners manual or opem glove box to do it. To be honest this show requires me to post no signs, mirrors and or diplays. I even am required to have the t tops in place.

Many shows require many differnet things you just have to read the rules. What may help at one can hurt or make no difference at many others.

I know at the POCI meets they take things to extremes with things they look for. I have seen them wack people for things as little as the wrong type valve stems. At their show they look to preserve cars in as delivered condition the more original the better. Anything non production or correct for the year can hurt you. Modified cars have a few classes but they are more of a preservation show. A car that may be a show winner at one show may not even place here. I have targeted shows in the past and tayored my car for that type of show. I center on Pontiac mostly and have done well at most with many national awards.

So you are correct in doing what you are doing at Year One and you are giving what they want. Just what others wants often are different and you just need to learn what they look for.
Old 08-08-2011, 08:17 AM

All we have around here are crap shows in church parking lots, or at the Moose Lodge, ...... Not much of this matters, nice read though.
Old 08-08-2011, 11:53 AM

The shows are fun, the trophies are BS, many politically motivated (ie, donate a door prize, win a trophy) for buddies and neighboring auto club members. Don't go too crazy, you really shouldn't be winning anything with a car less than 10 years old.
Old 08-08-2011, 02:01 PM

Originally Posted by diskullman
The shows are fun, the trophies are BS, many politically motivated (ie, donate a door prize, win a trophy) for buddies and neighboring auto club members. Don't go too crazy, you really shouldn't be winning anything with a car less than 10 years old.
This is why you should chose carefully the shows you go too. You are correct as many events are biased.

As for age it really depends. I have seen new cars that have been totally redone and have no issue with it. But on the other hand I have seen a Z28 with 30 day tags on it at a show too and really question the owners thinking.

I have no issue taking my 26 year old Fiero to a show even though many people don't think it is that old. On the other hand I would never consider taking my Stock HHR SS to a show. It is my daily driver and I know it is clean enough to take an award somewhere but I just feel funny with a car that new at a show. That is just my take right or wrong.

I also have issue with shows where they exclued 1975 and later but let fiberglass street rods and Shelby kit cars in that were built a year ago. Sorry they are just new cars to me.

I do wish there were more shows that would compensate older cars or handi cap new cars.

I tend to skip th local crap and just do make and model specific shows or larger events that have a 2 seater class. I find my Fiero to do well in 2 seater classes. I have been beaten by an MG but also have taken awards over 911's, Panteras and even a Lambo.

There are some well run and judged shows. If you fine one support it every year. If you find a poor show pass it up and don't go back.

Just keep in mind shows are run by people and they can be inconssistant. I have won shows I should have lost and lost to cars I should have taken. In the long run it all works out. Just don't let you hurt ego get in the way. Keep in mind they only payed $10-15 for most of the trophys and it will just collect dust when you forget about it.

Set a goal and work to it. Many shows will give you a copy of your score and you can use it to learn from. You may not always agree but that is life. Take each and every part of the car and remove ever imperfection. That is the ke and hope they notice when they look at it.
Old 08-08-2011, 07:24 PM

re

"Just keep in mind shows are run by people and they can be inconssistant. I have won shows I should have lost and lost to cars I should have taken. In the long run it all works out. Just don't let you hurt ego get in the way. Keep in mind they only payed $10-15 for most of the trophys and it will just collect dust when you forget about it.

Set a goal and work to it. Many shows will give you a copy of your score and you can use it to learn from. You may not always agree but that is life. Take each and every part of the car and remove ever imperfection. That is the ke and hope they notice when they look at it."

this is the lesson you must learn if your going put your car out there - it should be all about the fun not about 10 dollar trophy - i have learned a lot form other owners and hopefully someone has learned from me - thats what its about - fun and sharing something your passionate about
Old 08-09-2011, 05:41 AM

"Just keep in mind shows are run by people and they can be inconssistant. I have won shows I should have lost and lost to cars I should have taken. In the long run it all works out. Just don't let you hurt ego get in the way. Keep in mind they only payed $10-15 for most of the trophys and it will just collect dust when you forget about it.

Set a goal and work to it. Many shows will give you a copy of your score and you can use it to learn from. You may not always agree but that is life. Take each and every part of the car and remove ever imperfection. That is the ke and hope they notice when they look at it."

this is the lesson you must learn if your going put your car out there - it should be all about the fun not about 10 dollar trophy - i have learned a lot form other owners and hopefully someone has learned from me - thats what its about - fun and sharing something your passionate about
Amen!