Maintenance and Upkeep Discussion HHR maintenance tips ranging from oil change intervals to brake pads and everything in between.

Car Washing

Search this Thread

Old 07-11-2008, 12:22 AM

Car Washing

I found a 'deal' for getting the car washed.
$30.00 a month for unlimited car washes.

So, my thoughts are, I could take it in each Saturday to get done. Make it part of the routine. I am just wondering if getting it washed that much would be good for the finish?

I am in an apt, I do not have a place to wash her, And I hate to always go and borrow the in-laws driveway.

Thanks,
Matt
Old 07-11-2008, 12:23 AM
jx3

Once a week is the norm for any car wash schedule.
Old 07-11-2008, 05:37 AM

Six weeks, and I haven't washed my SS yet. The Good Lord washed it twice so far though. I haven't washed my Ranger in 12 years.
Old 07-11-2008, 05:52 AM

I washed my Tahoe exactly 0 times while I owned it. I was actually disappointed when they would wash it when I would bring it to the dealer for service.

SPPD

ps I think I will be more likely to keep my HHR clean though. It is a lot smaller and should take less time to clean. plus a dirty SUV looks good, but a squeeky clean HHR looks better.
Old 07-11-2008, 06:24 AM

Once a week is good. Most car washes don't do a great job however. I take my Trailblazer to the local car wash because its faster than doing it myself. Then I take it home and touch up the wheels, tires, and spots the car wash misses. The soaps at car washes are pretty harsh. You'll need to wax more often, and if at all possible, use a "touchless" car wash.

Ideally a car should be washed with a gentle soap thats made for car paint, or with only plain water.
Old 07-11-2008, 07:17 AM

I wash and detail mine frequently. Once a week is not out of the ordinary, though with all the rain around here lately, it hasn't been as often.
Old 07-11-2008, 07:29 AM

our dealer told us anytime we wanted to swing by and they'd run it through, it's not the best car wash in the world, but it's not too bad and free. Then i figure when it needs the extra wrk i'll do it myself.
Old 07-11-2008, 10:51 AM

Originally Posted by mchuntley
I found a 'deal' for getting the car washed.
$30.00 a month for unlimited car washes.

So, my thoughts are, I could take it in each Saturday to get done. Make it part of the routine. I am just wondering if getting it washed that much would be good for the finish?

I am in an apt, I do not have a place to wash her, And I hate to always go and borrow the in-laws driveway.

Thanks,
Matt
Matt,
We will have to talk. Todd (uma) and I rarely wash our cars, there is a different way to go without using water. If the car wash has big rollers beating on your car don't do it. I had a 91 aerostar that after 10 years you could see the car wash marks from front to back. I do not go to any car wash anymore.
Old 07-11-2008, 11:43 AM

Originally Posted by TkHHR
Matt,
We will have to talk. Todd (uma) and I rarely wash our cars, there is a different way to go without using water. If the car wash has big rollers beating on your car don't do it. I had a 91 aerostar that after 10 years you could see the car wash marks from front to back. I do not go to any car wash anymore.
Matt, I have learned the Tim/ToddUMA way of washing Blackie. Maybe once a month do I take out a bucket and carefully wash him.

Todd and I have the ultimate PITA color to keep clean...even on a weird weather day like today, you could go out in the sea of cars here at UCI and find mine easily--sparkling and shiny to the point where people tell me, they do not want to park next to me.

Like Todd tells me, you can tell the difference between a black car that is washed at a car wash, and a black one carefully cleaned like mine is (although I will never be as shiny as he keeps his--I try!).

Not that much more trouble and if you can only do it once a week, then you can do what we do!

BTW, I detail 1-2 times a week 'cause I'm anal (and it's therapeutic), but wipe down at least every other day.

https://www.chevyhhr.net/forums/south-pacific-36/meguiars-detailing-101-class-august-9th-2008-a-13354/
Old 07-11-2008, 12:43 PM

I will never take mine to an auto carwash, to many fine scratches, scratches come from it.

Quick Reply: Car Washing