Maintenance and Upkeep Discussion HHR maintenance tips ranging from oil change intervals to brake pads and everything in between.

Cleaning Engine??

Search this Thread

Old 08-27-2010, 02:23 AM

Cleaning Engine??

Call me crazy - not only do I like to keep the outside of my HHR clean, but I like to keep it clean under the hood. I need to find out the best way to clean the dirt and crud off my engine. Is there a special cleaner that I need to use? Can I use a power washer on the engine to clean it? I have also noticed some oxidation on the valve cover - How do I get rid of that? Any help would be appreciated.
Old 08-27-2010, 04:31 AM

I would'nt use a powerwasher, could damage the electronics, I also have been looking for an easy way to clean the engine before a show. I'm useing a spray bottle with water.
Old 08-27-2010, 05:59 AM

Wipe down regularly.

A little white lightning degreser and a careful use of water from a controld hose has worked for me. Dust is more of an issue than anything.

I also use a lot of detailer and rags to clean most of the underhood areas.

Just don't use a pressure washer or put cold water on a hot engine. While you may get away with it this is no longer worth the risk to what damage it can do.
Old 08-27-2010, 08:44 AM

Simple green works great just wash off and blow dry.
Old 08-27-2010, 10:50 AM

I use Mean Green....like $5 a gallon.
Old 08-28-2010, 02:36 AM

Thanks for the advice. I will most likely use a soft bristle brush to help get rid of the oxidation/corrosion on the valve cover. Is there anything that can be sprayed on the valve cover to inhibit the corrosion?
Old 08-28-2010, 11:23 AM
Founding Member

Detailers use pressure hoses on engines, but stay away from critical areas. That doesn't mean that 1 out of every 500 or so doesn't have a problem created because of water intrusion on a connector or what not.

I pressure wash mine while the engine is running. I just don't put the pressure in areas that I know I shouldn't.

As far as oxidizing I don't have any help on that.
Old 08-28-2010, 12:02 PM

Originally Posted by ChevyMgr
Detailers use pressure hoses on engines, but stay away from critical areas. That doesn't mean that 1 out of every 500 or so doesn't have a problem created because of water intrusion on a connector or what not.

I pressure wash mine while the engine is running. I just don't put the pressure in areas that I know I shouldn't.

As far as oxidizing I don't have any help on that.
That is the problem here how many know what they can wash and how many think they know what they can wash. Just not everyone here is a gear head or a up to date trained mechanic. Times and cars have changed much for many.

It may be best to recomend to either not use pressure washers or take it to a pro. Those who know what they are doing already know what can be done. I would hate to get someone in over their head.

Like you stated even the pro's screw up too.
Old 08-28-2010, 12:09 PM
Founding Member

Tiggers,

Come on down to Dallas for this years Super Bowl. I'll do a demonstration for you.

Maybe you should get your cam cover powdercoated.
Old 08-28-2010, 07:28 PM

Ive always used simple green then rinse gently with controlled spray from hose. Then detail after dry with Armor all for all the black & most surfaces. No problems. So far with SS just some wipe off and Armor all & looks very sweet.

Quick Reply: Cleaning Engine??