Maintenance and Upkeep Discussion HHR maintenance tips ranging from oil change intervals to brake pads and everything in between.

Clogged air filter and mileage

Search this Thread

Old 04-03-2010, 10:32 PM

Clogged air filter and mileage

I just bought a used, and previously repossessed, HHR. I changed the cabin air filter and it was very dirty. I wonder if it had ever been changed in the 60k miles that this car has run. I tried, but wasn't up for the challenge of doing the engine air filter myself. I wonder if it has ever been changed. If not, could restricted air flow lower my mileage? The car runs fine, but gets significantly lower mileage than I was expecting with the manual transmission.
Old 04-04-2010, 07:34 AM

Within reason, the computer in the car compensates for airflow, and you would simply see reduced performance, as it would attempt to maintain a 14.7 air/fuel ratio regardless.

I'm not seeing what is so challenging about changing an air filter.
Old 04-04-2010, 08:12 AM

air filter

We got the air intake hose off the fender and then couldn't figure out how to get off the connector for the MAP sensor (or the other hose, for that matter). Even with all the pictures, all this stuff is underneath and hard to see, for girlfriend and me, anyway. Also, once it's apart, one place says that the screws to be removed are Torx 20 and another says 25. Assuming I can ever successfully get that far, which is it?
Old 04-04-2010, 08:49 AM

Don't let this intimidate you. Did you look at this thread in the How To section of the forum?

https://www.chevyhhr.net/forums/show...ghlight=filter

The instructions are straight forward especially with pictures. Take a deep breath and try it. If after this you can't no sweat take it the dealer or a friend that maybe more mechanically inclined than your self - show your friend the above link and ask him to do it for a few beers
Old 04-04-2010, 09:09 AM

mechanically inept on air filter change

I saw that one with the pictures. For any reasonable person, it should be more than enough. Not me! Even with all that help, I still had problems. If someone were to film the procedure and put it on youtube, I might be able to follow it successfully. Despite being intelligent and well-educated, I still consistently screw up mechanical things the first time I try them. I'm a quick study and do better next time. The old adage from residency..."see one, do one, teach one."
Old 04-04-2010, 11:36 AM

got two out of three

I finally figured out where to push on the clip (on top where it first gets wider from the cable) and disconnected the MAF sensor cable. I unscrewed the 8mm (or flat headed screwdriver) on the band for the air tube. I can't get the air tube to come off. Maybe I will do better next time. I have reconnected the MAF sensor cable, the air intake tube on the fender, and screwed the air tube band back down, for now. At least I haven't broken anything yet!
Old 10-07-2010, 09:30 AM

How about Wal Mart

My Wal Mart says they will change the air filter for free at my home town. they might let you watch if yours will do for free. At 60,000 miles the air filter needs changing if it has never been changed. I changed my cabin air filter at 35,000 miles and it was filthy.

good luck
Old 10-07-2010, 01:18 PM

The air fliter can be a little duanting at first. read the manual and look on here, it helps a lot. I changed my fliter for the first time at 76K. Besides having a large ball of leaves and debrie in the corner it was half decent. My fliter in my truck gets real dirty real quick, I clean that about once a month. I have noticed a slight increase in preformace, but not a lot. As far as the T-bits, just stick one in to see which one fits. I almost never know the size of anything, unless I do that task a lot, I just use what fits.

Good Luck
Old 10-07-2010, 03:48 PM

I changed my air filter this summer, it was intimidating at first, but very easy once you start. Give it a shot!
Old 10-11-2010, 02:11 PM

Just looked at mine-took it out banged it a few times-then stuck it back in. No reason to change yet at 17,800 miles. If it were my 85 RWD delta 88 it would have had to have been changed 3 times already. Guess it has to do with where the intake hose is located-doesn't pull much crap in.

Quick Reply: Clogged air filter and mileage