Maintenance and Upkeep Discussion HHR maintenance tips ranging from oil change intervals to brake pads and everything in between.

Cooling Fan Switch

Search this Thread

Old 04-20-2018, 09:37 PM

Cooling Fan Switch

At what temps does the cooling fan turn on and turn off?
Old 04-20-2018, 09:52 PM
Platinum Member

It should kick in around the 217 degree mark, and run till it drops back down to about 200 or there abouts (if my memory serves me right).

Are you having a problem in regards to cooling?
Old 04-20-2018, 10:09 PM

I guess apparently not according to GM

It will get up to about 214° at a lite and then slowly come down when driving again.
I can turn the air on and have it come down to about 190° within a few minutes, but I really shouldn't have to do that.
I realize that 210 or so isn't a killer these days, but having the temp spread that much certainly is, at least for me. I prefer a little more consistent temp.
Normally while driving, it stays between 180 and 190 and the ambient today was 88°

Wondering if anyone has changed the switch. Don't even know where they are.
I would like one that comes on at 200° max and off at perhaps 195°
Old 04-20-2018, 10:27 PM
Technical Moderator

You know better than the GM engineers.

It is in the firmware of the ECM. It is programmed that way for the sake of the environment.

The t-stat isdesigned to keep the temp above 180F, in case that is on your redesign agenda.

The fan will stay on until it gets down to about 180F when the tstat closes.

214F at a stop light may be a tiny bit hot, how old is your DexCool? Yes, I specified DexCool. How is the coolant level?
Old 04-21-2018, 12:21 AM
Platinum Member

Donbrew is right - todays cars are setup to run at a higher temp than older ones for sure. What you are seeing is pretty much normal. That dexcool that Donbrew mentions is also highly recommended - and it does need to be changed out within it's 5 year life span.

When you turn on the A/C, the fan turns on automatically, leaving the thermostat to modulate the temperature. It is very important to use the correct thermostat - the ACDelco 131-158 or GM P/N 12622410.

Some think that putting in a thermostat that opens earlier will keep it cooler, however that will not work well, as the computer detects that it doesn't come up to operating temperature fast enough and can trigger the P0128 CEL code, which then disables the A/C, flat-lines the digital temperature gauge and often cause the transmission to do it's hard shifting routine which is part of the process to make sure the owner fixes the problem rather than ignoring it. And running at an engine temperature other than what it was designed for will mess up the fuel mixture and emissions to a point.

So rather than overthink it, and try and "fix" it, just run with the way GM designed it. If it ain't broke, don't fix it is the rule there.
Old 04-21-2018, 12:26 AM
Platinum Member

Oh, in your other thread you mention you were going to do a number of things to bring it back up to snuff, including changing the transmission fluid and filter. FYI, they are designed to last the life of the car except under severe circumstances when it should be changed at 150,000 miles. You likely are just fine just running it the way it is.

Owners manual:

Change automatic transmission fluid and filter if the
vehicle is mainly driven under one or more of these
conditions:
− In heavy city traffic where the outside temperature
regularly reaches 90°F (32°C) or higher.
− In hilly or mountainous terrain.
− When doing frequent trailer towing.
− Uses such as found in taxi, police, or delivery
service.
If you do not use your vehicle under any of these
conditions, the fluid and filter do not require changing.