Maintenance and Upkeep Discussion HHR maintenance tips ranging from oil change intervals to brake pads and everything in between.

Cosmetic repairs.

Search this Thread

Old 01-22-2013, 12:10 AM

Does anyone know around how much the dent repair would be? I think I can take care of the scratches myself. Might be a nice project for this summer. Has anyone had any luck with paint pens?
Old 01-22-2013, 03:21 PM

Originally Posted by TheBlackPearl
Does anyone know around how much the dent repair would be? I think I can take care of the scratches myself. Might be a nice project for this summer. Has anyone had any luck with paint pens?

I see your in Indy, I'm from the Anderson area, not really all the far form you.
As far as an esitmate. What us hail guys do is estimate by a "matrix". I have a dent matrix provided by statefarm insurance. Anyhow, you count how many dents are on that particular panel & see what size the dents are. Lets say you have 6-15 dime size dents in the hood. The cost to repair the hood would be $175.00 plus the R&I times (hood insulator). Lets say you have 51-75 dime size dents in the roof. It would cost $425 plus R&I times of the headliner. I got those number straight from my dent matirx supplied from State Farm. If you have any questions, let me know.
Old 01-22-2013, 09:29 PM

Smile PDR..the way to go!

I don't do PDR, but paid to have it done. Those annoying small dents from tree branch, etc will drive you nuts. No one else noticed them, but it annoyed the $#%# out of me. I did internet search to find someone in my area. He gave me a per panel price, and a great "whole car" price.I went for the whole car deal........Now I look at my HHR and smile!!!
Old 01-23-2013, 06:11 PM

Originally Posted by TheBlackPearl
Also I have a few micro chips in the windshield thanks to a semi with new tires and no mudflaps. Should I have them filled or will it be okay to leave them? I know the bigger ones can be a problem. My mother in law's HHR had one and they didn't fill it and it caused a huge crack down the windshield.
Yup, have those filled. Most insurance companies will pay for it – no charge to you.
Old 01-23-2013, 08:41 PM

If you have hail or door dings call a Paintless Dent repair. They will fix it fast and cheaper than anything else.

The hot sun will not remove dents. In some rare cases a small ding may come out with Dry Ice or a cold spray like compressed air in a can turned upside down. But don't count on it as like I said it is rare.

As for scratches you can do it if you use the right compounds and polishes. It take a little work and knowledge to get them right. Solid colors are easy to touch up but metalics can be a challange. There is a little skill to fixing them right and to a good degree.

Often I will sand them out with 2000 grip paper or my 3000 grit Meguires sanding stone. Make sure to wet sand. You will need several steps of polish to get it right too. The use of a orbital buffer like a Porter Cable will make it easier with a foam pad.

Now if you have little time or skill you may just want to take it to a detailer as for a couple hundred dollars they can take care of the digs and scratches for you.

Keep away not only from the cheap fantasy tools but also keep away from the cheap finish restorers. If it was that easy everyone would be doing it. Save your money for a Snuggy they do work and if you call now you will get a second one for only handling and shipping. LOL!