Maintenance and Upkeep Discussion HHR maintenance tips ranging from oil change intervals to brake pads and everything in between.

Cutting bolts off and removing adhesive residue; What do you use?

Search this Thread

Old 07-06-2016, 11:30 AM

Cutting bolts off and removing adhesive residue; What do you use?

Alright since I picked up an SS spoiler for a measly 12 bucks I am not into the idea of drilling holes in my hatch to install the thing. I have decided to go the 3m tape route instead, as I feel confident with the amount of tape on the spoiler already it will hold just fine with higher quality adhesive tape. If it fails then it is just a 12 dollar mistake. If I bought it full price then I would consider drilling. ANYWAY, I am not looking for a lecture on proper install, just advice from you guys what you use or have used in the past to cut bolts off. I need to cut the two bolts off the ends of the spoiler. I am looking for possible name brands of your tried and true tools. If I have to buy one then so be it because I am sure it'll be used for more than this project. The second half is asking about products that you may have used in the past to remove adhesive residue. I already used PB Blaster and WD 40 to remove the big chunks of tape left over but there is still quite a bit of residue left.

Thanks in advance and please dont cringe when you read about me massacring a perfectly healthy SS wing
Old 07-06-2016, 11:49 AM

Hmmm... I know you said you don't want a lecture, so I apologize up front. But understand that if the tape fails, it is not just a $12 lesson. If the spoiler flies off in traffic it could result in deaths.

I haven't removed 2-sided tape myself, but here's some good suggestions How to remove 3M double sided tape?
Old 07-06-2016, 12:12 PM
Technical Moderator

If you already ruined the wax with the PB etc: rubbing alcohol, Goof Off/lighter fluid along with a very careful application of razor blades. Sometimes you can roll the sticky film off with your finger or some other blunt scraper after a liberal soaking of Goof Off.
Old 07-06-2016, 12:50 PM

3M eraser wheel.
Old 07-06-2016, 01:01 PM

I plan on taking the install very seriously and carefully, checking often for signs of lifting. I am using the 3m adhesive tape used for car trim pieces and window deflectors and such. I am confident with the amount of surface contact the wing has with the car it will hold very well. The wing itself only weighs about 5 pounds anyway. The only person on this forum or at least the only one I could find that used 3m tape for a spoiler did it with the hoop style and it held strongly, and the hoop has much less surface contact area.
Old 07-06-2016, 02:17 PM
Platinum Member

The studs won't screw back out of the spoiler ?

OK. If not, or you can't get them out, here's what I would do. Small bolt cutters to snip off as much stud as you can. Then grind down the remaining part with anything from a hand file to a bench grinder.

I use my small bolt cutters all the time when doing little projects like this. The cutters I have are something around 14 inches or so.
Old 07-06-2016, 03:56 PM
Administrator

If you are going to prep and repainted the surface of the wing then brake cleaner applied sparingly will remove the residue, rubbing alcohol works great also.
You should be able t back those studs out with a set of vide grips or carefully cut them with a cut off wheel.
I've had to replace the 3M double sided tape on my window vents several times so plan on having a very close look every month or so, if it starts to separate and lift, you can't just stick it back down, once water and dirt get under it , it's done!
Old 07-06-2016, 09:56 PM

Old blue what 3M tape do you use? I was thinking of ordering some 3m vhb or the top tier acrylic plus. I think the vhb is the way to go as it is apparently even used on commercial trucks and such. The studs seem to be built into the spoiler and won't come out so cut and grind it is.
Old 07-07-2016, 01:31 PM
Administrator

I use the 1/2 wide tape on a roll 3m from a local body shop supplier here in town.
Old 07-07-2016, 05:48 PM
Technical Moderator

The mylar stuff is nice and not 1/8 inch thick.

Quick Reply: Cutting bolts off and removing adhesive residue; What do you use?