Maintenance and Upkeep Discussion HHR maintenance tips ranging from oil change intervals to brake pads and everything in between.

Did an oil and transmission fluid change....easy

Search this Thread

Old 07-01-2013, 07:20 PM

Did an oil and transmission fluid change....easy

On Saturday I did an oil change and used Mobile 1 5-30 as per owners manual. The filter was easy and much better than most any other car I have owned including the race car as NO oil ran down my arm! I did a transmission fluid/filter change and found a very handy drain pan. Actually a very long wheeled plastic storage box that my wife had bought many years ago and decided she did not need it. I put in 6 1/2 qts of Dexron VI and when I checked the fluid it had a barely noticed drip so it was good. I filled the old cans with fluid and took a total of 6 gallons of oil and 6 1/2 qts of trans fluid from other changes too to an Autozone. I was surprised that all of it was dumped in together?
Old 07-04-2013, 12:53 PM

I agree that the oil changes are easier on the HHR... I always do my own as well and use full synthetic oil. When it comes to the tyranny fluid changes I let the dealer do it just because for me it's easier but I have to hand it to you for doing it yourself.
Old 07-04-2013, 01:15 PM
Administrator

I changed the oil and filter and while I was under it I thought how hard or messy can a trans fluid filter change be, and it was very easy, no huge mess, buy 7 liters and a filter, drop the pan rear bolts first, drain and remove, wipe down the neoprene gasket, wash out the pan, install new filter clean pan and gasket, fill the fluid with 6.5 liters and done ! I checked the fluid after a drive around the block , it was just right!!
Old 07-04-2013, 01:59 PM

I used a large plastic under bed storage box like the one in the image below. Mine had wheels on it which made pulling it out very easy once the fluid stopped dripping which too about an hour. The box is big enough to fit under the whole bottom. Remember the 120 inch pounds torque setting and after driving a day or two I redid the torque and about 50% needed more?
Old 07-04-2013, 06:34 PM

I just bought a 2011 HHR, looking at the placement of the oil filter it does not look like it is that easy as clearance is tight near the exhaust manifold. Fortunately my car is a certified pre-owned that comes with two years of free oil changes!
Old 07-04-2013, 10:52 PM
Platinum Member

Originally Posted by oldracer
On Saturday I did an oil change and used Mobile 1 5-30 as per owners manual. The filter was easy and much better than most any other car I have owned including the race car as NO oil ran down my arm!
Yes, I don't miss that feeling..
Old 07-05-2013, 10:32 AM
Platinum Member

Originally Posted by CA Blue HHR
I just bought a 2011 HHR, looking at the placement of the oil filter it does not look like it is that easy as clearance is tight near the exhaust manifold. Fortunately my car is a certified pre-owned that comes with two years of free oil changes!
The oil fillter is on the front of the engine - nowhere near the exhaust manifold. If you actually mean the INTAKE manifold, there is lots of clearance. The filter on the HHR is likely one of the easiest to change.
Old 07-06-2013, 07:24 AM

Thats interesting seeing as how my 06 HHR has neither a drain on the transaxle or a stick for checking fluid levels. AND, the fill plug is on TOP of the transaxle, so you can't just pour in new fluid.
Please explain.
Old 07-06-2013, 11:17 AM

According to my repair manual, there is a small vent somewhere on top of the transmission which would make sense as air has to get out when the transmission heats up and back in when it cools off. I guess by sealed, GM means no dip stick or drain plug? As many folks have noted, the idea is to have GM do it and since I would imagine their cost for transmission fluid is 10% or less than what we pay, the money is mostly labor.

Even if there is no vent, the fluid will still pour in as the air will get pushed out between the funnel and the threaded hole in the top of the case. As I said, the whole process was easy except for jacking and leveling the car which took the most time.
Old 07-07-2013, 12:32 AM
Platinum Member

Here ya go...

Quick Reply: Did an oil and transmission fluid change....easy