Maintenance and Upkeep Discussion HHR maintenance tips ranging from oil change intervals to brake pads and everything in between.

dirty in 60 seconds flat!!!

Search this Thread

Old 09-24-2010, 07:45 PM
Banned

dirty in 60 seconds flat!!!

Is it my HHR or what ?I wash my HHR, wax it, clean it perfectly, not a spot at all on it. I drive it like a little old lady to the conveince store 2 miles away
when I get back my HHR back hatch and roof and rear bumper is covered in sand.
I can only think all HHRS are like this but I have driven two other HHRs
and I dont recall this problem with them. The only thing I see is differant
the 17inch rims, wider tires, mudflaps, running boards, and a roof rack without the crossrails. if I had to guess I would say the mud flaps are causing
this and poor fuel economy. What do you think? are you having the same problems? Have you been able to fix it? If so please let me know. It will get old real fast knowing once you clean your car it wont even make it to the corner store without getting trashed. No I dont live on a dirt road either.
my GTO I had and my wifes smart car stays nice and clean for a while.
Old 09-24-2010, 07:55 PM

I think it is a common problem with all HHR's. The air flow[read lots of turblence] around roof, rear bumper, sucks up dirt off the road and it ends up on the rear hatch, bumper, ect.
I know my Black SS, gets dirty on the rear hatch, bumper, rear window, soon after washing, and I only drive on pavement[does'nt rain here from May until November].
It's something you have to live with. I keep a duster, in the back to keep it a little cleaner until it's time to wash again. "Moon"
Old 09-24-2010, 08:27 PM

Get a california dust mop , And just wipe it off. It pulls the dirt off, and keeps it looking fresh, I have to do it every day. (when it's clean )
Old 09-24-2010, 08:37 PM
Banned

Thanks I was thinking I should pull off the mud flaps for economy and for this dirt issue
but If its not hurting things I will leave them on.

I wonder if slamming my HHR to the ground Would Help or hurt?
Old 09-25-2010, 05:04 PM

Really have to question the mud flap fuel economy connection.....there really isnt much air in that area,
the back of an HHR is basically the same as any van, flat and large and a dirt magnet....to alieve the dirt use a GOOD wax so the dirt doesnt stick...
Old 09-26-2010, 04:28 AM

I have heard that having the spoiler reduces this phenomenon.
Old 09-26-2010, 05:24 AM

Mine is black.... It's dirty in 60 seconds just sitting in the driveway....... But the only time the tailgate gets excessively dirty is after driving in the rain or if the car is wet. Not so bad when it's dry, I would say it's the same amount that collects elsewhere. No "magic" here, just a good coat of wax....... My last two vehicles were vans so maybe I'm just remembering how bad they could get???

I don't have a spoiler.... don't like them and I've read it doesn't help the dust/dirt situation on this car.... I see a lot of HHRs on rainy days with filthy tailgates...... They have spoilers.

Old 09-26-2010, 07:50 AM

It is just the air flow on the rear of any mini van, wagon and SUV.

The air in back back tend to create a dead spot on the rear and dumps the dirt on the rear of the car. Years ago many wagons and vans used a rear spoiler that directed the air down the back of the car to keep the rear window clean before there were rear wipers.

Cars also in the 60's used mud flaps that went the lenght of the rear to help.

The fact is any wagon like vehicle will get this and there really is nothing you can do about it. This is not just an HHR isssue but any vehicle with a near vertical rear side.

Just look at any Caravan or other similar shaped vehicle.

The best way to fight it is buy silver or gray colors as it shows it less.

Mud flaps will not stop it so buy a duster and live with it as there is nothing else you can do.

PS the kinds of roof spoilers that would fix this create drag and a lot of of it. Also they do not look good so I would forget about this one.

Even the rear bumpr on many cars today with tall deck lid also dump a lot of dirt on the rear bumper. I see it on the new Malibu and Last model of the GP I own.
Old 09-26-2010, 07:52 AM

Originally Posted by Greybeard999
Mine is black.... It's dirty in 60 seconds just sitting in the driveway....... But the only time the tailgate gets excessively dirty is after driving in the rain or if the car is wet. Not so bad when it's dry, I would say it's the same amount that collects elsewhere. No "magic" here, just a good coat of wax....... My last two vehicles were vans so maybe I'm just remembering how bad they could get???

I don't have a spoiler.... don't like them and I've read it doesn't help the dust/dirt situation on this car.... I see a lot of HHRs on rainy days with filthy tailgates...... They have spoilers.

If anything I thinkl the SS spoiler may make it even worse. At least it seems that way on mine. I have driven with and without in the winters and seen the results.
Old 09-27-2010, 09:37 PM

Originally Posted by hyperv6
If anything I thinkl the SS spoiler may make it even worse. At least it seems that way on mine. I have driven with and without in the winters and seen the results.
Same thing here... I have a black SS... The bumper and hatch collect more dust than an Electrolux, even on nice days on paved, dry roads.

Quick Reply: dirty in 60 seconds flat!!!