Maintenance and Upkeep Discussion HHR maintenance tips ranging from oil change intervals to brake pads and everything in between.

Do U have to use Synthetic Oil in HHR

Search this Thread

Old 11-09-2012, 05:32 PM
Founding Member

Originally Posted by Oldblue
gee that is some list, so just to confirm my 2007 should be using the in it's 2.2 litre LS model 4 cyl?
No. GM suggests it. It's their oil and they do want to sell it though.

What I said is they recommend it. I can recommend that you never make 3 left turns in a row, but that doesn't mean you have to listen to me.

Is a blend better than regular oil? Yes. Is it required on models older than 2011? No.

By the way FYI; three left turns equal a right.
Old 11-09-2012, 05:37 PM
Administrator

Thanks ChevyMgr except in Nascar it makes 3/4 of a lap!! LOL
Old 11-09-2012, 05:53 PM

Future 2011 buyer here(maybe tomorrow :) ) I am a firm believer in Mobile 1 full synthetic.I use in in my car and motorcycles.. I assume Mobile 1 should be ok with GM in the 2011 HHR? What about transmission fluid?
Thanks Richard

ChevyMgr Thanks for the link
Old 11-09-2012, 06:13 PM
Rest In Peace

Originally Posted by ChevyMgr
Dexos1 is semi-synthetic blend (mix ratio unknown and not told to us). It is required for all gasoline engines from 2011 and newer, except for some 2013's that must use Dexos2. GM also recommends it for all their gasoline engines on 2010 and older (including ones that were required to use Mobil1).

There are no longer any Mobil1 oil caps on most 2011 and all 2012 and newer vehicles.

I think the reason for the change is the extremely high amount of internal engine failures, which I think is caused by the OLM systems. I am talking rings, pistons, chains etc... Regular oil cannot go 12-14,000 miles between oil changes, yet it is not uncommon at all to see this on a lot of models coming in.

I had to hire another engine tech just to keep up with all the failures. Most are related to V6 and V8 engines. But we do a lot of balance shaft chains, gears and related cam work on 4 cylinder engines too.
This site has links to licensed brands that meets Dexos1 and Dexos2 requirements.

http://www.gmdexos.com/licensedbrands.html

If the oil you use is not on the list, it is either because they haven't ponied up to pay for the license or it doesn't meet the critera.
Thanks for the info and Link ChevyMgr. I did not know they made a change.

Question for you.
Supercharging my '08 2.4L Auto Trans 2LT Panel here in a matter of weeks (Finally) Since the 2.0L SS/SC cars used Mobil 1 and the SS HHR Turbo used Mobil1, Should I use Mobil1 ? I was planning on getting a oil change this week and Switching from the basic oil to Mobil 1 in prep for the Supercharger and Cams ported 2.4 head install.

I know you have to switch to synthetic for the supercharger install, did the Mobil 1 GM contract just run out or should I still switch to it, or use?

I even got the "Mobil 1" oil cap.

My Panel has 27,000 miles on it.

Thanks.
Old 11-09-2012, 11:21 PM
Platinum Member

No. GM suggests it. It's their oil and they do want to sell it though.
Yes, more profitable to sell their own brand of oil.. M-1 is Dexos approved..

Harley Davidson long ago (1999) came out with their own oil brand also, & threatened to void warranties if not using it.. Which was a bluff, if your oil was equal or better than H-D oil. (This fact from H-D in Milwaukee )..
Old 11-10-2012, 09:05 AM

Dexos1 is semi-synthetic blend (mix ratio unknown and not told to us). It is required for all gasoline engines from 2011 and newer, except for some 2013's that must use Dexos2. GM also recommends it for all their gasoline engines on 2010 and older (including ones that were required to use Mobil1).

There are no longer any Mobil1 oil caps on most 2011 and all 2012 and newer vehicles.

I think the reason for the change is the extremely high amount of internal engine failures, which I think is caused by the OLM systems. I am talking rings, pistons, chains etc... Regular oil cannot go 12-14,000 miles between oil changes, yet it is not uncommon at all to see this on a lot of models coming in.

I had to hire another engine tech just to keep up with all the failures. Most are related to V6 and V8 engines. But we do a lot of balance shaft chains, gears and related cam work on 4 cylinder engines too.

I have never put much faith in the oil life monitors, but my HHR SS came as a certified used and has the 2 year/30,000 mile free oil change included, but it is based on when the OLMS says it is time for a change.

If I take my car to a Chevy dealer to get the oil changed (I almost always do my own, but since it is free...) will they use that new oil or will they use Mobil 1 in my 2009 SS?
Old 11-10-2012, 10:01 AM
Founding Member

Every dealer is different so if you don't request a specific oil then it's their choice. Either one is approved (Mobil1 or Dexos1) but Dexos is normally less expensive at a dealership.

Dexos1 meets GM spec GM4718M, which is what Mobil1 is.

So you can use either one, whatever you prefer.
Old 11-12-2012, 01:07 PM

If oil cant handle the OLM distances.
Then what the heck is the OLM good for?

Why put a system in a vehicle that tells you to go longer than you should.
Makes no sense. Genius's
Old 11-12-2012, 01:15 PM
Founding Member

Originally Posted by 11BlueJ
If oil cant handle the OLM distances.
Then what the heck is the OLM good for?

Why put a system in a vehicle that tells you to go longer than you should.
Makes no sense. Genius's
Some engines do handle it and some don't. It's a sales tool for selling autos.
Old 11-12-2012, 02:01 PM

Not arguing, I know it is what it is but....

It's a computer, program so it's correct to the engine.

I was always baffled by the OLM says come in at 0%, and the dealer still sticks the sticker on the window for every 3K. But yet I have to use $70 oil.

I have been going in at 50 - 40%, but that is only based on extensive research I pulled from my buttocks.

Quick Reply: Do U have to use Synthetic Oil in HHR