Maintenance and Upkeep Discussion HHR maintenance tips ranging from oil change intervals to brake pads and everything in between.

Fine scratches

Search this Thread

Old 08-07-2013, 01:19 PM

Fine scratches

Has anyone used 3M Scratch Removal System to repair fine scratches in clear coat. I have scratches on my back bumper, they are very fine but show up white on my black bumper.
Old 08-07-2013, 01:47 PM
Premium Member

No but Griot's Garage has the stuff to fix it, along with Dr. colorchip.

http://www.griotsgarage.com/product/...%26+wax+kit.do

http://www.drcolorchip.com/
Old 08-07-2013, 03:22 PM
Platinum Member

Contact "hyperv6". If I remember he uses a lot of 3M products and has "show car" quality!!
Old 08-07-2013, 05:27 PM

You want scrathes out use this.

This is the 3M Finesse it polish. It is great for fine scratches you can use it by hand but it works best with the Porter Cable Orbital Buffer.

http://www.summitracing.com/parts/trm-5996/overview/

Now this will take the paint to the next level and give you a perfect finish or as perfect as conditions will permit. You can also use the Porter Cable Buffer here too with a foam pad.

Seal it once these are done with a carnauba paste. I then finish the final polish with Adams Detailer spray.

http://www.summitracing.com/parts/trm-5990/overview/

Now if the scotches are more deeper then use Maguire's Compound Cleaner professional grade. It is like a compound but it is lighter. I use my finger to rub out a deep scratch. It is fine for clear coat. But once you use this you need to follow up with the two 3M products. Think of your polishes as you do sand paper. When you properly sand you use heavy to lighter grade sand paper. This will give you a better deeper and smoother finish. The same applies here to paint. Also start with the lighter polish and move more aggressive if needed.

The bottles here are not cheap but I use a lot and they last me along time. You do not use much at a time. Also I use this on my daily cars and show car and I generally have a finish on a black car few can match. I even at a show Sunday help fix a scratch on a buddy's car that was deep enough my finger nail would catch on it.

These are the products that will give you a award winning shine and the wax will preserve the finish better in a paste than any other kind of polish. Carnauba is hard and will hold up long term.

If you do not have a Porter Cable Orbital buffer you should buy one. They are easy and safe to use and will save you time and a lot of work.

Many people use the easier products but most do not hold up as long and will just mask the flaws not repair them. Polishing is something that as you read, practice and learn you will find it is not hard to do. Once a car is cleaned up if you maintain it you never will be faced with the hassles of the initial clean up.

I have also learned paint touch up and it is easy too and once you touch the paint and wet sand the spot the items above will return the shine. So once you have master the above products you can work on chip repair and master it. I can fix most spots with no sign of damage in solid colors. Metallic can be tricky trying to get the paint to match if not mixed well.

If you have any questions I will try to answer them.

Some people for stress they drink I Polish.

Note I show a black car and daily drive a black car and people think I work on them all the time but the products I use and careful planning around weather I can go weeks between washes in summer.

In showing a black car there is little forgiveness in paint and I can hide things like the guys in silver or red.
Old 08-08-2013, 09:08 AM

Thanks for all the great information. I don't have a Porter Cable Orbital buffer but it looks like I'll have to save up and buy one.
Old 08-08-2013, 09:35 AM

Originally Posted by postalboy
Thanks for all the great information. I don't have a Porter Cable Orbital buffer but it looks like I'll have to save up and buy one.
Post some pictures of the scratches. Depending on how fine they are, there are some Meguiar's products that I swear by. If I can get an idea of what you're dealing with, I might be able to recommend something (No I don't work for Meguiar's lol)
Old 08-08-2013, 09:43 AM

I can take some photos of the scratches but knowing how to post them, well thats a different story.
Old 08-09-2013, 05:40 AM

I too use some of the Meguires line but keep in mind it is not the normal wall mart stuff. I use the professional line as it works better.

But keep in mind Meguires is also owned by 3M too.
Old 08-13-2013, 12:56 PM

Originally Posted by hyperv6
I too use some of the Meguires line but keep in mind it is not the normal wall mart stuff. I use the professional line as it works better.

But keep in mind Meguires is also owned by 3M too.
I've personally found that the Meguiare's line is very effective, but a much more gentle product line as opposed to others. I'm not paid to endorse the product, but I swear by the stuff. I use it on my classic bike as well as my HHR, and the results are ALWAYS flawless.

I know I'm not completely impartial, but I've used standard 3M, Turtle Wax, Nu-Finish and a few other products. Nothing seems to yield the same results.
Old 08-13-2013, 04:09 PM

Originally Posted by DaytonaBlueMetallic
I've personally found that the Meguiare's line is very effective, but a much more gentle product line as opposed to others. I'm not paid to endorse the product, but I swear by the stuff. I use it on my classic bike as well as my HHR, and the results are ALWAYS flawless.

I know I'm not completely impartial, but I've used standard 3M, Turtle Wax, Nu-Finish and a few other products. Nothing seems to yield the same results.
It is not the product line but the type of product you use as to how gentle.

I have Meguires products that will finely polish to those that will hone though the paint easily.

The key is the selection of product and using the proper grade of product you need for a proper finish.

Also there are a lot of product like Nu-Finish and others that are a one step that really do not repair the finish but mask the flaws. There are many high silicone products that mask only and they do a good job as long as you do not want a long term proper fix.

The key is education of how to properly polish and repair paint is what one needs to do this right. Also important are what are your standards. My standards are as good or better than new. Most do not go that far but that is just me.

The thing is if you do step up your standards and education on what products to use and how to use them properly you will not only have a better looking car but you will also get top value at resale. I have always been able to move my used cars fast and in many cases in hours of putting them up for sale.

The info on many web sites can get jumbled up as with different standards and opinions the true technical knowledge gets lost.

Adams and Meguires both have good information on how to deal and prepare with paint and damage. Also once you learn this it is a easy way to pick up $150 or more for a Saturdays afternoons work.

Quick Reply: Fine scratches