Maintenance and Upkeep Discussion HHR maintenance tips ranging from oil change intervals to brake pads and everything in between.

how fast the oil live gauge depletes?

Old 05-18-2016, 04:32 PM

Question how fast the oil live gauge depletes?

I won't ask for oil change intervals because I see that's like asking what brand of oil you are using in a motorcycle forum

But since this car is new to me, I was wondering if the percent value in my car was dropping to fast.

I did 350km (more or less) after the last oil change and now the display reads 96%
I don't even know how that system works to begin pondering why it drop so fast.

thanks!
Old 05-18-2016, 05:14 PM

well... According to the manual.... Engine Oil Life System is based on "engine revolutions and engine temperature, and not on mileage".

So what that basically means is: The harder you push your car, and/or the harsher the driving conditions, the faster the reading will drop.

BTW... if you continue at that rate, you'll get about 8,750km till next oil change is due, which is on the slow side.
Old 05-18-2016, 05:15 PM
Technical Moderator

On my 2 HHRs it was very close to 12,000 miles.

Asking oil change interval is the same.

Last edited by donbrew; 05-18-2016 at 05:48 PM.
Old 05-18-2016, 06:16 PM
Platinum Member

Because of the way the algorithm is designed the more stop and go and high traffic use the less miles you will get on an oil change (because the engine develops more RPM going through the "gears" and additional heat is produced because of the constant stop and go). The more highway miles at a steady speed (constant RPM, within reason) the higher the miles for the oil change.

By my experience........5000-6000 miles with "city traffic" and light highway use. Almost 10,000 miles on a new oil change and almost ALL highway mileage. Both were changed in the area of 25-30% indicated on the Oil life Monitor. I have oil analysis done on a sample of each used oil change. My oil values always return with really good readings and possibly more miles could have been accumulated before the change.

Just to provide additional info to the previously referenced Owners Book statement........

The algorithm is designed around a known specific. The wear additive, DZZP, depletes at a given rate based on RPM and heat exposure and to a certain degree, on and off operation of the vehicle. This was discovered by a GM Lube and Fuels scientist/engineer, who along with GM, was awarded a patent for the discovery. I had the good fortune of meeting and working with her in a very minor capacity.

Just trivial info.
Old 05-19-2016, 08:28 AM

Originally Posted by chaosdsm
well... According to the manual.... Engine Oil Life System is based on "engine revolutions and engine temperature, and not on mileage".

So what that basically means is: The harder you push your car, and/or the harsher the driving conditions, the faster the reading will drop.

BTW... if you continue at that rate, you'll get about 8,750km till next oil change is due, which is on the slow side.
Thanks for doing the math!

Originally Posted by Snoopy
Because of the way the algorithm is designed the more stop and go and high traffic use the less miles you will get on an oil change

Just trivial info.
That's so cool you get to meet the gal, and is really nice there's some good science behind it, I was certain it was just an informed speculation reading.

Alas, yes I use the car 2 to 3 times a week on heavy traffic just to commute to work and back when I don't feel like taking the bike, which I still use most of the time.

Thanks for the feedback I was starting to get worried that something was wrong with it!