Maintenance and Upkeep Discussion HHR maintenance tips ranging from oil change intervals to brake pads and everything in between.

Sunroof..... Possessed?

Search this Thread

Old 11-27-2017, 05:32 PM

Sunroof..... Possessed?

Riddle me this fellow forum members!

I pull in my garage after a nice cruise out on the town to pick up dinner. Windows down. Sunroof open, acdc blasting away. I close all four windows then hit the close button for the sunroof anddddd nothing...... Checked fuse it's fine, intermittent click noise every so often when pressing button. I finally told Gregg to stop acting up because I just got him a new rack and shoes, and the roof magically closes while holding the vent open button "weird," for a few tests of the buttons the seems to be reversed, then they worked normally. Slides back and forth without resistance. Now get this. For as long as I have had Gregg, the sunroof would only vent about and inch and a half or so, but after Gregg's possession it vents open about 3 inches! What gives? Has this every happened to anyone before? I know it's weird but I'm seriously asking. I posted on another thread a while ago about test driving a different hhr and noticing how much more the sunroof vented in that model. Well, now Gregg vents just as much.
Old 11-27-2017, 06:35 PM
Administrator

Possibly dirty switch contacts?
Possibly shoulda had Sinatra, singing Witchcraft!
Old 11-27-2017, 09:14 PM

I dunno... I never use my sunroof.
Old 11-29-2017, 10:54 AM
Administrator

I don’t have a sunroof.
Old 11-29-2017, 12:17 PM
Premium Member

I have a sun roof, and never had any problems with it, I have had the vehicle since brand new special ordered it. Just lucky I guess but I do maintenance on it every 6 months or so.
Old 11-29-2017, 01:19 PM

What maintenance do you do?
Old 11-29-2017, 03:04 PM
Premium Member

Originally Posted by aradmahogany
What maintenance do you do?
I use silicon lube on all of the rubber gaskets around the glass, and use lube on all of the sliding parts inside. I then clean out the four drain holes. and of course a very good inspection of all the parts.
Old 11-30-2017, 10:17 AM

I found that mine seems to be catching/slipping when sliding backward. Also, if left open or vented during a drive, it doesnt seem to want to respond immediately when I get home. After it does, it works fine when sitting idle.
Old 11-30-2017, 03:17 PM
Premium Member

When the wife hit a curb a few years ago the airbags went off and we had to replace the headliner. Every since then the sunroof still works like it should but it acts like it is rubbing on something when it opens. Other than that no problem.
Old 11-30-2017, 04:35 PM

Lets face it, these sunroofs suck. Just in one year I've had 2 or 3 parts break. Lubing everything up is fine, but you should probably look up the sunroof thread. I believe its title is "quick fix for sunroofs". There are some posts in there that mention tightening 4 screws that level the glass. I'm pretty sure the rubbing sound when its opening is the mechanism rubbing on the screw. The sensors detect there's friction. Then the sunroof doesn't close all the way or level, then the windscreen clip breaks, and the list goes on.

I bought a new gm frame, for when everything goes to hell, but I'm hoping right now I can just replace the screen clips and adjust the leveling screws. The cover that covers the actual hinge mechanism already shattered into pieces so I left it off.

Look up the thread before you end up with a non functioning sunroof.

Quick Reply: Sunroof..... Possessed?