Maintenance and Upkeep Discussion HHR maintenance tips ranging from oil change intervals to brake pads and everything in between.

leather cleaning

Search this Thread

Old 03-19-2009, 09:11 PM

leather cleaning

just asking what people use to clean their leather. i have black and grey leather and the grey part on the driver seat is dirty and kinda darker...i've used armoral for leather and it doesnt work.....any suggestions?
Old 03-20-2009, 09:57 AM

Where abouts is it dirty? I have grey leather seats in my HHR and the lower portion of the back support (right in the lumbar area) has a "dirty" band. Mine actually has been stained/discoloured by a couple of leather belts that I typically wear. The dye from the belts has stained that area when they rub together. I took the HHR to a leather shop to get a quote and they said they could re-dye that area grey and have it match to about 95% of the original colour for about $200. It won't stop the area from getting stained again though as long as I keep wearing those same belts.
Old 03-20-2009, 10:05 AM

I use a clean damp cloth to clean the leather. I like to use Meguires Gold Class Rich Leather Aloe Conditioner which will also do some light cleaning. I don't like the all in one products, I think that they are too harsh and don't leave the leather feeling as nice as the damp rag and conditioner alone
Old 03-20-2009, 11:49 AM

Originally Posted by calgaryhhr
Where abouts is it dirty? I have grey leather seats in my HHR and the lower portion of the back support (right in the lumbar area) has a "dirty" band. Mine actually has been stained/discoloured by a couple of leather belts that I typically wear. The dye from the belts has stained that area when they rub together. I took the HHR to a leather shop to get a quote and they said they could re-dye that area grey and have it match to about 95% of the original colour for about $200. It won't stop the area from getting stained again though as long as I keep wearing those same belts.

the inside of the seats are grey and the outsides are ebony(spring edition) and both the back and the part u sit on is dirty....the leather on the driver seat is darker than the other seats
Old 03-20-2009, 02:23 PM

It may be that some of the clothes you typically wear could be causing some discolouration. I've heard that some dark denim can discolour light leather tones (specifically white/ivory) but maybe it is happening in your case.

If the seats are just grimy and dirty (not discoloured) a good leather cleaner should do the job. If you want to find a good leather cleaner go to a leather goods shop or an upholstery shop and see if they can recommend a good cleaner.
Old 03-20-2009, 04:52 PM

For spot clean ups on leather seats baby wipes work great and are very gentle to the leather. After a good cleaning I would still recommend you use a good leather conditioner.
The Baby wipes will even take ground in chocolate out of light gray leather......
Found that out when my daughter sat on a piece of a chocolate bar from Maryland to Florida.

Hope this helps.
Old 03-22-2009, 08:18 AM

wow thanks for the info