Maintenance and Upkeep Discussion HHR maintenance tips ranging from oil change intervals to brake pads and everything in between.

Mechanics Veto Extending Oil Changes Bucking New Trend

Search this Thread

Old 06-30-2007, 03:13 PM

An amazing part of the changing oil is the cost of around $30 for regular oil and $60 for synthetic oil. Cost of regular Valvoline at the store 3.95 a qt, cost of Durablend - Valvoline Synthetic $3.95. Where do they not make money?
Old 06-30-2007, 05:13 PM

$60 for synthetic? I assume that is the cost when someone else does it for you (BTW, that's a generic "you", not specifically you Tom).

I pay $24.99 for a 4.7L/5 qt jug of Pennzoil Platinum.

It's even cheaper in the US, especially when you get the BOGO deals at Advanced Auto Parts every few months.
Old 06-30-2007, 05:31 PM

Originally Posted by johnnypatrick
What does everyone think of this?
Lexington, Ky. (July 2006) - ...in a survey conducted by Valvoline, a leading maker of premium motor oil and car care brands.

...According to the survey, Valvoline remains the number one choice...

"The message from the top mechanics in the country comes out loud and clear," said Valvoline Marketing Director Bryan Emrich. "Changing oil with quality motor oil, like Valvoline, at regular intervals is the best way to prevent damage to your car's engine and keep more money in your pocket."

What do I think? Bull*cough* It's an ad, plain and simple.

-JJ
Old 06-30-2007, 05:47 PM
Platinum Member

Been here before, so I'll limit my response.

I'm in line with "Crafty". These Certified Mechanics are just that...mechanics. They are not engineers/chemists and have limited knowledge on the components of oil. They are taught and schooled by other mechanics to retain or escalate their certification. I am not a total believer in the self interest theory.....that longer life oils cutting into their oil changing profits. I just think they are just uneducated (and that is not a slam) in the values of oil.

Bet if you asked, very few could tell you what the percentage of oil vs additives are in a quart container of a current product. Then ask them what is was 10 years ago.

I did agree however, with a number of statements that was made in that article.
Old 06-30-2007, 10:46 PM

What everyone else said....Alonzie...given the few miles you put on your HHR that interval sounds about right...more on the time factor rather than miles

Goose
Old 07-01-2007, 11:00 AM

We are going throught the same thing with vets, even though there is now proof that yearly vaccinations are not only not necessary but proven harmful they too are sticking with the yearly vaccination because it is the mainstay of their income. Quick easy money!
I live with and ASE mechanic and he says do what the owner's manual says and he and I both agree that we change the oil when the DIC tells us to. The car manufacturer should know what is best for the car.
At least (as far as I know) changing the oil more frequently than necessary doesn't harm the car it just wastes money and if anyone has more money than they need and they want to waste it that's their choice...:)
Old 07-01-2007, 12:08 PM

Wow. Hard to believe that Valvoline would come up with the notion that more frequent oil changes are the best thing for your car...LOL.
Old 07-01-2007, 02:38 PM

Go figure. They would rather have you change oil more often because it supports their business.
Old 07-01-2007, 09:39 PM

Originally Posted by Goose
What everyone else said....Alonzie...given the few miles you put on your HHR that interval sounds about right...more on the time factor rather than miles

Goose
I think the way we use our vehicles, (Very short trips and stop and go driving), comes under the heading of "Severe Driving Conditions". So I'd just as soon stick to a 3,000 Mile oil change interval just to play it safe.
We plan on keeping the HHR as long as we've had the Altima, which is 9 Years so far.
Old 07-01-2007, 09:54 PM

Originally Posted by cpendlay
We are going throught the same thing with vets, even though there is now proof that yearly vaccinations are not only not necessary but proven harmful they too are sticking with the yearly vaccination because it is the mainstay of their income. Quick easy money!
I live with and ASE mechanic and he says do what the owner's manual says and he and I both agree that we change the oil when the DIC tells us to. The car manufacturer should know what is best for the car.
At least (as far as I know) changing the oil more frequently than necessary doesn't harm the car it just wastes money and if anyone has more money than they need and they want to waste it that's their choice...:)
I go my DIC also. I don't have the money to waste, and the oil of today is far superior than that yrs ago. And if you notice in your manuel, GM reallizes that many people do there own oil changes, as long as you keep records, your warranty is still good. I could by the oil, filter and all, eat at McDonalds, and still have money saved.

Quick Reply: Mechanics Veto Extending Oil Changes Bucking New Trend