Maintenance and Upkeep Discussion HHR maintenance tips ranging from oil change intervals to brake pads and everything in between.

New Style Rear Drum Brakes?

Search this Thread

Old 01-19-2013, 01:19 PM

Question New Style Rear Drum Brakes?

The first thing I noticed about the new 2011 was that the brake adjuster hole was in a different place (centered below the cylinder). Then I tried to get the drum off, my 5 lb shorty sledge did not get the job done, and there were scars from an earlier attempt by other parties (probably inspectors). So then I decided to just adjust them anyway WTF, the adjusters turn in the wrong direction to tighten!

Has anybody gotten inside these new brakes? Has anybody seen a diagram or pic. My 2011 Mitchell OnDemand has barely any coverage of HHR newer than 2008, just the generic stuff.

Last edited by donbrew; 01-19-2013 at 04:06 PM.
Old 01-19-2013, 05:39 PM

Post rear drum brakes

here's some info...
Originally Posted by 843de
Here's a link to a good video tutorial on replacing and adjusting the rear brakes on an HHR. Just click the link below for the YouTube video, its about 9 minutes long.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bm7Hg4sSqmY

use a 2-jaw gear puller & the ol' mini sledge on any "reluctant" rear drums i might have had. Some auto parts store will rent you a puller to help with your drums. Ask questions on procedures & crank that adjuster in as far as you can + use you best judgement (& maybe a little WD-40), should come off.

p.s. shoot ChevyMgr (Administrator) a PM, he'll have all the straight poop for ya!

Last edited by JerseyJames; 01-19-2013 at 06:04 PM. Reason: stuff
Old 01-19-2013, 07:52 PM

That is the "old" style brakes.

I am well acquainted with the sledge method, I keep my 5 lb shorty on my roller seat tray. These drums have absolutely no give, not a ridge issue, not a shaft/hole issue, not a spring clip issue.

The question is specifically about the "new" style rear drum brakes. I know that there is a difference my 2008 just cashed out after 294,000 the new 2011 has a different adjuster for sure (they adjust in the opposite direction) and the drums don't come off from wailing on them. I don't know when they got changed, I suspect in 2010.

I just went back to Mitchell OnDemand, the rear brakes changed in the 2010 model to an old fashioned hold down system instead of the horse shoe spring and the adjustment actuator is attached to the rear shoe with the adjuster reversed.

Still can't figure out what is holding the drum, it sounded solid when I beat on it not like a bell. It is not an interference fit, so I guess there is a lot of corrosion that I got to let WD40 work on till I get around to trying again. Or, maybe I will have to do the unfreeze by loosen the lug nuts then back up and slam the brakes on trick, that used to work on the interference fit of a Toyota pick up.

Last edited by donbrew; 01-19-2013 at 08:21 PM. Reason: long winded addition
Old 01-19-2013, 11:42 PM
Platinum Member

donbrew-

That pic is of my '08 rear brake shoes..

Now very curious as to the new set-up you're dealing with on your '11....Sounds like you said, corrosion......

Maybe GM re-worked them to actually self adjust as they should..
Old 01-20-2013, 03:45 PM

Originally Posted by sleeper
donbrew-

That pic is of my '08 rear brake shoes..

Now very curious as to the new set-up you're dealing with on your '11....Sounds like you said, corrosion......

Maybe GM re-worked them to actually self adjust as they should..
Except they don't.

They changed it to something like the oldie system except that it's the leading shoe that does the adjusting, which makes the star adjuster turn in the opposite direction. At least that's what Mitchell says, I will not be trying again for a few weeks
Old 01-20-2013, 04:56 PM
Platinum Member

donbrew. When you do pull the drums off, take some pictures. I'm always willing to learn something.