Maintenance and Upkeep Discussion HHR maintenance tips ranging from oil change intervals to brake pads and everything in between.

no power when hot outside with A/C on

Search this Thread

Old 06-14-2016, 03:13 PM

no power when hot outside with A/C on

Hi

I've done several searches for this problem but didn't really find anything. I have an 08 Panel LT with 2.4 and A/T. The car has close to 88000 miles. Problem seems new. Recently when I drive the car in temps that have been around 90 here and I have the A/C on, the car has NO power. Especially when I take off from a stop. Seems hard for the car to down shift as well when I want to speed up. I am not showing any Fault codes either. From what I have read here, I am now wondering about the cam solenoids or O2 upstream sensor. Or, even a clogged cat, but don't think it has enough miles on it. I hooked up the "Torque" app it it shows the upstream sensor as failing the test and the graph is erratic spiking up then down over and over. The downstream graph is just a steady line across. Not sure how these should look. I have recently replaced spark plugs with oem Delcos, air filter good. I really don't know where to start with no code, but this is definately not right. Thought about doing a MAF cleaning, throttle body cleaning and maybe check, clean and grease some electrical connections. Wanted some expert opinions. Thanks in advance for any help.

Branden

P.S. I recently had a TPMS sensor replaced, when they got done my coolant reads about 5 degrees lower on average. Could resetting something in the TPMS system really affect the coolant temp readout too???
Old 06-14-2016, 03:23 PM

to the site!!

I'm wondering if it may have something to do with the transmission? When you accelerate, does the engine rev like you would expect, but the car just doesn't really want to move like it should? Or does the engine just fall flat?
Old 06-14-2016, 03:51 PM
Administrator

Welcome to the site! Could be a lot of things!
Let's start of simple! It's an 08, so is it original battery? Original Dexcool? Original timing chain and guides?
If you are sure there are no codes, try a battery lobotomy.
Disconnect the battery at the negative terminal back in the spare tire well!
No not the positive terminal ! The negative terminal!
Now leave it disconnected for at least 30 minutes, while your waiting out those thirty minutes check and tighten the ground terminals at the transmission case by the oil filter housing, just down to the right, and up on the rad cradle behind the drivers side headlight.
Now check the negative terminal grind in the spare tire well and hook the negative cable back to the battery.
I've seen wonky things happen when the battery isn't much longer for this world!!
Old 06-14-2016, 04:06 PM
Technical Moderator

" "Torque" app it it shows the upstream sensor as failing the test" What test is the O2 sensor failing? If it was failing there would be a code.
#1 O2 sensor is supposed to vary wildly.
#2 O2 sensor is supposed to be steady
If there are no Codes then the cat is not clogged.

TPMS has nothing to do with coolant temp, however; what is the temp?
Old 06-15-2016, 06:46 AM

Hey all, thanks for the replys.

RJRSSS350. The engine just falls flat and doesn't rev up like it slips or anything. Just blahhh. Seems like One time it was doing it, I floored it to get it going and think I smelled unburnt gas or something like it was too rich. IDK, my gas mileage sucks too.
Oldblue. I believe it is the original battery. The car had 74000 on it when I got it. I had to replace the thermostat last year so I put new coolant back in it, with whatever old was still in the car. As far as I know the valve train etc is all original. I will try disconnecting the battery and checking ground connections.
Donbrew. I'm going to assume that the O2 sensors are fine based on what you said. I didn't think that the TPMS would have anything to do with coolant but the tire shop said that the tire pressure readings were off and they had to relearn all that stuff but when I left there my temp reading was squirrely and jumping around. It finally quit doing that after driving but when it settled down my average temp is around 185-187 now and before it was around 192-194. Both ranges are fine if you ask me, just the sudden difference and now this other problem. Thanks

Branden
Old 06-15-2016, 07:20 AM
Technical Moderator

The procedure for relearning the tire positions is in the Owner Manual.

DexCool has a long life, but it is 5 years regardless of mileage. The wrong anti-freeze doesn't last as long.

Cleaning the MAF and throttle body won't hurt anything, as long as it is done correctly.

I guess a cracked flex pipe. It will get worse, odd codes will come.
Old 06-15-2016, 01:07 PM

OH SNAP!! I forgot to mention that bit of information. Probably pretty important, but I also have an exhaust leak too, not sure where but I was figuring on it being the flex pipe. Just haven't gotten it fixed yet.
Old 06-15-2016, 02:09 PM
Technical Moderator

If you could smell it, it is beyond slightly dangerous! Drive with the windows open if you must drive.

That is one of those seemingly unrelated things. If the #1 O2 sensor is working it adjusts the Air/Fuel mixture wrong, it thinks it is lean so it adds fuel that it does not need.
Old 06-15-2016, 02:16 PM
Administrator

Yeah a flex pipe leak is nasty!! We had to drive from Florida back up to home when the flex pipe cracked and failed on vacation a couple of years ago!
Old 06-15-2016, 02:46 PM

Yeah, I had no idea that it could cause that kind of problems. It didn't sound too bad so I didn't bother with it. I will get it fixed and get back with you all. Right now I have the battery disconnected. Will see how that does. Thanks

Branden

Quick Reply: no power when hot outside with A/C on