Maintenance and Upkeep Discussion HHR maintenance tips ranging from oil change intervals to brake pads and everything in between.

Oil

Search this Thread

Old 09-17-2009, 02:23 PM
Platinum Member

Originally Posted by lvhhrpanel
I would not run any vehicle based on the DIC with "Dino Oil" only a Full Synthetic oil like AMSOIL or MOBILE I
Now understand this.....I am NOT arguing your opinion and I know you said, "I would not.....". But I would like to know your reasoning for this especially since about 60-70 % of the GM vehicles that have an OLI, are "dino" oil vehicles. And GM has done ALMOST ALL of the testing on the OLI algorithm/theory on dino oil. That is the basis for the theory.

Just curious if you have valid logic??
Old 09-17-2009, 04:34 PM

Originally Posted by IgottaWoody
Hwy miles are always easier on a motor..your at a mostly steady state operation without alot of load variations...its the starting and stopping, short trips.. the not quite warmed up motor thats shut off that kills oil..if the oil cannnot reach operating temp its not doing its job and collects moisture fuel and whatnot. Just how much load is on a vehicle on cruise going 65? Your probably using under 100hp on a flat road...maybe less...and most od that is for wind resistance. Run it like the DIC says...after it gets below say 15-20% THEN consider changing it...it wouldn't be recommended by the builder if it wasn't safe...its their dime if it fails!
Sure it's their dime if it fails NOW, but I'm planning on keeping my HHR for years. Don't want it to die on me when it's 10-15 years old and waaaaay out of warranty.

Also, my reason for changing more frequently is based on what you said. Short trips are what hurt, and that's mostly what I do. (Although now school is changing that...) But for the most part, I was always used to short trips. When my Lumina was my daily driver, that would get about 7k on it in a year...tops. The HHR doesn't get as many miles either because I also drive the truck. So, that's my reason for changing more frequently.
Old 09-17-2009, 09:22 PM

I've been running Pennzoil Platinum 5w30 in mine and change it every spring and fall.

I'm considering going back to dino though, since I've lost faith in the vehicle and don't plan to buy it out at the end of the lease.