Maintenance and Upkeep Discussion HHR maintenance tips ranging from oil change intervals to brake pads and everything in between.

Oil Change Q...

Search this Thread

Old 05-09-2006, 07:29 AM

Question Oil Change Q...

Well... went to work today and forgot my manual- no way to reference 'factory recommendations' for an oil change I'd like to do tonight (want to buy oil/filter on the way home).
So- if anyone can lend a hand, it'd be appreciated.

Now I know "OIL" and "FILTER QUALITY" is a touchy subject for some - that's not what this post is about...

I gathered the following from other posts:
- Fram filter P/N: CH9018
- Napa filter P/N: FIL7082
- 1 1/4" (or 32mm socket) for cannister lid
- 15mm bolt for drain plug

My question is 'What GRADE oil does the manual recommend as replacement?' Also- What does the manual say about 'quantity'? I have a feeling the manuf suggests upwards of 4-5 quarts of 5w-30 but am looking to verify.

As for me, I plan on running Castrol's SYNTEC, however, have never used anything besides 'fossil juice' in the past. Anything I need to know/consider before switching over (besides not switching back to conventional)?
Also- I've ALWAYS run 10w-30 in my vehicles... for no particular reason at all. If they differ, should I stick with manuf suggestions??? Lastly- what weight are you guys running (and why)?

Old 05-09-2006, 08:13 AM

I use NAPA filters and oil, it takes 5 quarts of 5w-30, why...it says so ! also I change my oil every 3k no matter what anyone says....and always before and after long road trips (1500 miles+)....I just do, don't know why
Old 05-09-2006, 08:24 AM
Deceased

Wix is a much better filter for all around and you need to read about the DIC and how much chevy spent researching it and the oil life.

read what Chevy says,,,they warranty your engine
Old 05-09-2006, 08:42 AM

cj, where can I read this....but I really like changing my oil every 3k, I rotate the tires, drink a beer, grease the fittings, drink a beer (oh, as far as I can tell there are no fittings to grease on the HHR, is this right, I replaced this step with drinking a beer btw) oh yeah drink a few beers....put away all my stuff for oil changes and tire rotating, clean my tools and drink a beer...if I follow what GM says, then it will look like I have a drinking problem !
Old 05-09-2006, 08:59 AM

Originally Posted by four61ob
oh yeah drink a few beers....put away all my stuff for oil changes and tire rotating, clean my tools and drink a beer...
My plans exactly... 3400 miles to date and want to get the original crap outta there - regardless of what my DIC says!!! ()
Just forgot to bring the book with me to read at lunch... would hate to start drinking - just to have to run to the local auto parts store!!!
Thanks again for the responses
Old 05-09-2006, 09:06 AM
Deceased

Originally Posted by SCOOT
My plans exactly... 3400 miles to date and want to get the original crap outta there - regardless of what my DIC says!!! ()
Just forgot to bring the book with me to read at lunch... would hate to start drinking - just to have to run to the local auto parts store!!!
Thanks again for the responses
first oil change i did sooner, lil over 1000 miles
after that the DIC is what i have used and royal purple going in at 15,000 miles
going to get royal purple put in tranny too
Old 05-09-2006, 09:46 AM

Not sure this link will work if you're not logged in, but...

https://www.mygmlink.com/pdf/go2cont...et/2006hhr.pdf

It's the owners manual, in it's entirety from GM Link.

5qt for engine oil, BTW
Old 05-09-2006, 10:55 AM

Originally Posted by four61ob
cj, ...if I follow what GM says, then it will look like I have a drinking problem !
If you follow what GM says the only drinking problem you will have is not drinking as often.
Old 05-09-2006, 11:18 AM

You ROCK Tokyo!!!
The link works...
Old 05-09-2006, 11:26 AM

Originally Posted by Tokyo
Not sure this link will work if you're not logged in, but...

https://www.mygmlink.com/pdf/go2cont...et/2006hhr.pdf

It's the owners manual, in it's entirety from GM Link.

5qt for engine oil, BTW
Think maybe this link should be a sticky somewhere so it doesn't get lost in the shuffle. Good find Tokyo!!!

Quick Reply: Oil Change Q...