Maintenance and Upkeep Discussion HHR maintenance tips ranging from oil change intervals to brake pads and everything in between.

Regular HHR maintenance?

Search this Thread

Old 04-30-2010, 10:12 PM

Question Regular HHR maintenance?

Hi, I've had my 2007 HHR since august of '09. It had 23,000 miles on it when I purchased it and I have not had any problems with it at all.

In January, I got a job as a delivery driver for Pizza Hut and you can imagine the amount of miles I've racked up since then... I am now at 40K miles as of tonight.

I've changed the oil when the "Change Oil Soon" comes on, but that's about it. I need to make sure I don't run this HHR into the dirt. I need to know the regular maintenance work that needs to be done to this vehicle to keep it in real good shape. In another month, I will be changing the tires... I think these are the original ones from when the car came off the lot NEW in '07.

I think I should also do the brakes but would like opinions. I don't have any problems with the brakes, other than the occasional squeak. I don't hear squeaking often, just at random moments and not every day (or week) either.

Not sure when any other maintenance was done to the vehicle before I bought it. So can anyone help? I wasn't sure where to post this...

Thanks.
Old 04-30-2010, 10:36 PM

Well, your best bet would be to do what is required and when, as it is stated in the back of the owners manual. You shouldn't need anything until 50k miles. Other than that, I don't really know what else. I don't usually let my oil go that long, but I enjoy changing it myself so it doesn't bother me.
Old 04-30-2010, 10:43 PM
Platinum Member

as was previously stated, follow the owners manual for service..

Agree if you are changing tires, good time for brake inspection. (all 4)..

Check/change cabin air filter, & motor air cleaner...
Old 05-03-2010, 09:30 PM

Exclamation

I don't have a manual... That's why I was asking. -been nursing an orphan 3 day old puppy round the clock so I haven't been online to add that bit of info till now.
Old 05-04-2010, 01:30 AM

Originally Posted by kishasara
I don't have a manual... That's why I was asking. -been nursing an orphan 3 day old puppy round the clock so I haven't been online to add that bit of info till now.
Download one from here
https://www.chevyhhr.net/forums/general-hhr-4/online-owners-manual-3074/
or if you want a print copy buy one from ebay thats what i did they run $10-$30 just make sure you are not buying an "electric" or pdf version.. you could get that for free from above link
Old 05-04-2010, 10:07 AM

Thumbs up 27 point inspection

chevy deaslers are offering the inspection for $29.95 includes an oil change anf filter, i had it done 3 weeks ago at 43,562 miles the brakes are at 50% did not need any repairs, the dealers always find something to make money even washed the hhr.
Old 05-04-2010, 11:23 AM

Originally Posted by jay loukakis
chevy deaslers are offering the inspection for $29.95 includes an oil change anf filter, i had it done 3 weeks ago at 43,562 miles the brakes are at 50% did not need any repairs, the dealers always find something to make money even washed the hhr.
I just got a coupon in my email for a free inspection! They must know me though because they couldn't find anything that needed replaced... Not event he cabin air filter!
Old 05-04-2010, 12:56 PM

Thanks for the online link, that's actually really helped out a lot. Here's another question though.

Yesterday my HHR did something odd that it's never done before. I had to floor the pedal to get across the highway because traffic was endless and I'd been sitting there for 15 minutes waiting for an opening. I found one and took it. But as soon as I got into the lane I needed to get in and pressed the tiniest on the gas pedal, the car jumped forward. Every time I so much as touched the gas to increase speed even by 1 mile, the car jerked forward.

The brakes responded no problem there, but the gas would make the car leap forward. The only way to properly describe this is to imagine a horse fighting against the reins and the second you give it an inch, it lunges forward until you pull back against the reins...

I did this gas-jerk-brake thing all the way to the first red light and then put the car in park, turned it off, counted to 10, and then started it up again. After that, I've not had a problem...

But what was that? Transmission stuck? Sensor messed up?
Old 05-04-2010, 12:58 PM

Was the traction control light on?
Old 05-05-2010, 12:32 AM

No abnormal lights were on, and I've never even seen that light before, but no, there were no lights or rings or beeps saying that anything was wrong. Believe me, when something rings, I look everywhere to see what it is - like the low fuel ring.