Maintenance and Upkeep Discussion HHR maintenance tips ranging from oil change intervals to brake pads and everything in between.

Question on Synthetic Oil Brands

Search this Thread

Old 11-27-2012, 04:33 PM

Lots of items are relabled at a lower price,, I had a account the recieved clothing, a few acres in size,, one section was the office,one a sewing section.. All the did was sew different lables in the same shirt.Arrow,sears,NBO etc. Even Harley oil is or was not made by Harley,it was Mobile I believe,, Just look at the specs of the oil,,,,,,,
Old 11-27-2012, 04:37 PM

Generally most oils are similar as they are made to standard that are set similar to a Tape Ruler using a set scale of inches and feet.

I just keep it simple as Mobile 1 is recomended by GM on two of my cars and I just go ahead and use it in the other two.

Mobil One is on sale at Walmart often and with the DIC I get good oil life.

Finally I am not going to worry about 3-5 dollars on oil. If I am that broke I have other major issues.

Stick with the right spec or better oil. Use a good name brand and change it when needed and generally you are covered.

Also if you have a new GM car make sure it is Dexos rated as if you have issues this will be asked.
Old 12-01-2012, 10:14 AM

hyperv6,
What is the (change it now) mileage reading on your DIC with M1?

Thanks..Bill
Old 12-01-2012, 07:50 PM

Originally Posted by scbill
hyperv6,
What is the (change it now) mileage reading on your DIC with M1?

Thanks..Bill
Bill a good question!Q Im guessing you reset at 3k then go 2k reset again,I would not do over 5 k even on M1
Old 12-02-2012, 12:25 AM
Platinum Member

"What is the (change it now) mileage reading on your DIC with M1?"

The DIC reads in percentage, starting at 100% & with miles goes lower.

The engine does not know which oil is in it, so it's still gonna read the same.
Old 12-02-2012, 07:43 AM

Well based on the fact that the SS is shipped from the factory with M1 and is recomended to use only M! the DIC normally reaches 20% for me at between 8,500-9,500 miles. If you run it all the way down I would expect 5% - 0% would be seen around 10,000-12,000 miles depending on how you drive.

Note that the oil in the Turbo Engine takes much more abuse vs a 2.2 or 2.4 from the heat alone. I would expect the same miles would be no issue with these engines.

The main advantages with any full syn is that in the cold the oil flows faster as the viscocity does not thicken up as much as normal oil. Also syn oils are much better to prevent heat break down and carbonizing. This is why most Turbo engines recomend a syn oil and nothing else. Regular oils can carbon up in the turbo and let the bearings fail even with water cooling.

Most normal oils are fine today but syn oils are just better all around and will do a better job under more harsh conditions.

I work in the performance industry and any of the major teams and companies we work with all use nothing but syn oils anymore in most applications. The advantages are just worth the extra cost. Now that is not to say you can still live with normal oils but the advantages are there and the cost are minimal if you change your own oil.
Old 12-02-2012, 10:02 AM

I agree 110% on Synthetic being a better protecting oil.less thermal breakdown, less carbon build up,plus added protection in coating the cylinder walls better on shut down, so alittle more protection at start up,causing alittle less wear.. The most wear on the Cyl, walls is at start up so IMO any thing that helps a little is worth it!
FYI to those that do switch from Dino oil to Full synthetic the first and maybe the second oil change will look as dirty as dino oil did, the 3rd or 4th you will see a difference with the less carbon build up...
Is the extra $$$$ worth it? IMO yes but it more important to change the oil on time :) Oil class 101 over :)
Also from what I read is do not use a oil made for a diesel motor, as it has more Zinc and Phosphates in it and that can clog the Converter!
Someone correct me if Im wrong Thanks
Old 12-02-2012, 10:30 AM

The oil percentage remaining not lower with miles, it lower at idle too,it's the number of engine revolutions.Pcm count the engine rev and lower the percentage.If you drive in city it lower faster and slower on the highway.And all company use the engine revs for the oil life.I don't check this,i put mobil synth every 3k miles in my SS.Oil is cheaper than engine...
Old 12-02-2012, 10:59 AM
Premium Member

so whats the deal with Royal Purple being the "best thing created ever" ?
Old 12-02-2012, 11:07 AM
Platinum Member

Originally Posted by skyline26
so whats the deal with Royal Purple being the "best thing created ever" ?
That is what is called an "opinion". Everybody's got one and they're usually not the same.

Quick Reply: Question on Synthetic Oil Brands